Wizards news in this morning's Ottawa Citizen

Mimglow

Wizards owner sues soccer associations

by Ken Warren

The owner of the Ottawa Wizards has filed a lawsuit against the Canadian Professional Soccer Association, the Eastern Ontario District Soccer Association, the Ontario Soccer Association and the Canadian Soccer Association.

Wizards owner Omur Sezerman says the franchise has suffered financial harm because the soccer organizations have broken their own rules on countless occasions.

"It's time to put the wheels in motion, and we think major changes need to be made," says Sezermen. "The CPSL is infringing a lot of the rules and the governing bodies are doing nothing about it."

The CPSL booted the Wizards and the Durham Flames out of the league on Dec. 1, claiming both organizations missed a series of membership fee payment dates, following repeated notices to pay up.

CPSL presdident Vince Ursini couldn't be reached for comment yesterday, but it's believed the Wizards owe the league $12,000.

Canadian Soccer Association chief operating officer Kevan Pipe says he hasn't seen the lawsuit.

But Sezermen says it's "nonsense" that the Wizards were kicked out of the league for failure to pay their dues. He says other teams repeatedly miss payment dates, but he claims the Wizards and Durham Flames were singled out because they raised complaints about how the league is managed.

"I don't want this to be anymore of a soap opera than it already is. I want this to be about the issues," he said.

"A lot of things will come out when people are sworn under oath during testimony. I've not talked to anyone with the league, but I have heard from some other owners who aren't happy with the league. These people make and break rules as they go."

So much disturbing stuff to comment on in this, but where to begin...

First of all, by suing all of the said associations, it kinda looks like Sezerman is trying to throw darts at everyone to see if something will stick.

Secondly we have Ursini never being available for comment. I haven't seen one reporter being able to get a comment from him. That makes him appear kinda shady. Shouldn't he be running after media coverage, not hiding from it? (even if the coverage is negative, coverage is coverage, and why not answer to your critics?)

Then there's the fact that Sezermen doesn't deny missing payments, but everybody does it so it's okay. Wow. If you're going to be publicly complaining against an organization, make sure you've got the high ground. Don't give them an excuse to kick you out. It also gives the impression that Sezermen isn't the deep-pocketed owner we thought he was, if he was having trouble coming up with $12,000.

The death knell for the Wizards has begun.

You may not like the way he is going about it.But he does have a very valid case vs the cpsl.The cpsl has broken ever rule in the book

and yes it is time someone steps up.Anyone that sides with the cpsl

well there is something wrong with you.Not only does the cpsl not are about 9 of there teams they do not care about the fans.

the wizards side of the story

On January 2, 2004, legal proceedings were initiated by Ottawa Wizards and its owners against the Canadian Professional Soccer League, the Eastern Ontario District Soccer Association, the Ontario Soccer Association, the Canadian Soccer Association and others. Ottawa Wizards’ believe the sport of soccer in Canada has been governed in a disorganized and haphazard manner. At the heart of the law suit is Ottawa Wizards’ belief that the team has been treated unfairly and a claim for damages to compensate for the losses it has suffered as a result.

Ottawa Wizards has reluctantly taken this action. It has worked for a number of years to resolve its complaints through discussion and compromise. These efforts have not been successful.

Read More, Click Link

http://soccer.loop48.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1153

Ok i guess by being the the CPSL he was making money. The $3million facility, salaries, travel expenses, house for some of the guys to live in, food for us to eat, membership fees, must have all been covered by the 500 fans that came to our games for $3/ticket and even then at least 25% got in free.

One thing I must say to CDR9999. Do you not think your time and reputation are better spent on forming your new league or do you think arguing like a child over the internet makes you seem more of a man. I couldn't care less what you or anyone says about me cuz but you are supposed to be a founding member of a up and coming league. Don't you think you should portray more of a respectable figure as opposed to one that comes on the internet to put down everything and everyone associated with the CPSL. Like I said before, when you get your league, and I really hope you do, and you can run it the way you say then can you look back and say you were different to the CPSL but now you don't have anything. YOu have solicited teams over a public opinion forum and attempted to put me and every other CPSL player down. You are much older so why don't you start to act your age and enough with the childish posts. IDO I would have loved for you to mention your name but i guess you don't want to be embarrased. I am man enough to stand in front of you guys and take my shots but yall like to hide behind an alias like a bunch of cowards. I will not respond to your posts as this thread is for discussion on the wizard's lawsuit not about me or you. So do everyone a favor and leave the negativity out for the sake of soccer.

First off "truth" (ha) I am not trying to start a new league-if you learned how to read you will see in my other posts I said I was involved with the new league....I am not a President or GM or head Coach-I am involved with a TEAM that wants to play somewhere this year and beyond-as a matter of fact the Team I am involved with from Buffalo will play in any league we can this season. Also the team is in talks withe your CPSL. The ASL will not try to get under way till 2005......also this does have to do with the Wizards because you said that no teams make money in the CPSL--thats a lie--I know of two (2) teams personally that did and there are probably more-the sad fact is they do it through ripping off there substandard players-like you--as far as myself being "old" I am 35 and will play pro soccer probably for another 4 or 5 years--I am sure in that time you will be playing in a pub league at the local dirt patch---or down in the jungle in TNT

I am Not involved with talks myself people..learn to read..I am part of a team thats it......No racist remarks on my part...just a fact...I dont think that way- obviously you do...by the way just for your information-the Buffalo Crash will destroy it s competion no matter what league we are in....we have players signed that would make other cpsl teams gren with envy....

cdr is starting to remind me of minorsoccer.com from the other forum i.e abusive of other posters, much talk about creating a great league that never forms, many claims that he doesn't back up with any facts and a large number of posts that are largely a waste of time to read and which take up a lot of space on the forum. With all due respect cdr, I would suggest that you refrain from posting on the board until this league actually forms, the team you are involved with is actually playing in a league that involves CANADIAN teams or you are willing and able to write posts that are relevant to this forum which do not contain personal attacks BUT DO HAVE some factual basis. In fact your posts would be better suited for an American board as apart from claims of an aborted attempt (on again off again) of your team to join the CPSL or start a league involving Canadian teams, you don't seem to have any present reletionship with Canadian soccer.

Archived