If Hume`s FK wouldn`t have hit the post........

fza

quote:Originally posted by fza

If Iain Hume´s Free kick would`ve gone in against Spain...Do you think we`d be in the Finals??

Give me your thoughts...

Nah. We may have still lost to Spain. There is still a greater difference in quality between our top guys and the bottom guys compared to the likes of Spain, Argentina and Brazil.

If his free kick would have gone in (or the even the rebound),

I think we would have gone through if the Spanish player was sent off

as well later on. That would have been deflating for Spain; down

a goal and down to 10 men.

Against Colombia, I think we would have played well and surprise them.

Against Brazil, I doubt it; these university kids may not have

the stamina. But hey, anything would have been possible ... it's

all armchair speculation at this point.

Its not whether the Hume shot off the post went in - its whether the rebound from that shot with a gigantic empty net gaping in front of Lemire went in, would we have won. If you listen carefully you can tell that the commentator John Helm thought that putting in the rebound into the empty cage was a mere formality.

Spain did hit the post early on, but from such a bad angle that it was nearly impossible to score from that shot - hitting the post there was about as good as the Spanish player could have done, whereas regardless of the post we hit, the empty net rebound miss we could have done so much better on.....

Easy for me to say behind a keyboard, & poor Lemire must be having nightmares about that missed chance.

After we scored was Spain's worst section of the match, & if we scored twice I don't know what there reaction would have been. Conversely I thought Spain played better after their man was sent off, they altered their style & basically sat back against us, stripped the ball in midfield & got some effective counters going. They wouldn't have done that if we had a 2-1 lead & their player hadn't been sent off - instead they would have had to worry about our fast counters with the speedy Hume & Matondo. It's easy to talk about ifs, but if we score on either the free kick or the rebound, its not un-reasonable to see us winning the match.

Its not whether the Hume shot off the post went in - its whether the rebound from that shot with a gigantic empty net gaping in front of Lemire went in, would we have won. If you listen carefully you can tell that the commentator John Helm thought that putting in the rebound into the empty cage was a mere formality.

Spain did hit the post early on, but from such a bad angle that it was nearly impossible to score from that shot - hitting the post there was about as good as the Spanish player could have done, whereas regardless of the post we hit, the empty net rebound miss we could have done so much better on.....

Easy for me to say behind a keyboard, & poor Lemire must be having nightmares about that missed chance.

After we scored was Spain's worst section of the match, & if we scored twice I don't know what there reaction would have been. Conversely I thought Spain played better after their man was sent off, they altered their style & basically sat back against us, stripped the ball in midfield & got some effective counters going. They wouldn't have done that if we had a 2-1 lead & their player hadn't been sent off - instead they would have had to worry about our fast counters with the speedy Hume & Matondo. It's easy to talk about ifs, but if we score on either the free kick or the rebound, its not un-reasonable to see us winning the match.

Archived