Who is our next Radz?

massimo

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Gordon, I know that, but I think that we've got overexcited with Celta Vigo and Thunder Dan. Now it seems like Lindley is our best prospect at the keeper position. But I didn't wrote him off, I hope he can find a spot somewhere, but now Wagenaar an NCAA gk is cnsidered better by our coaches.

Undoubtedly many were influenced by the Celta Vigo/Porto connections. we tend to forget that the vast majority of youth players with major clubs don't make it. But I thinkit fair to say that if two pretty big clubs are interested in him, there must be some potential they see. It sounds, from his appearance for Canada in Panama as if he has some troubles with low shots, whcih is not uncommon for 6'5" 200+ keepers. He may never successfully address this. As for Wagenaar, it may simply be that the coach views them as less of a potential problem as well. I seem to recall Thunder having some conflict with Mitchell at the CONCACAF qualifying tournament. It is the third string keeper after all, and it is rare that they see playing time (of course, I believe Swiatek was 3rd String going into the Women's World Cup). And of course, Mitchell would not be selecting this team based on potential so what Celta sees as possible and what Mitchell needs now may not be in congruence at this point (although if Dan was to develop into a star and choose to play for Portugal then everyone will revile him for the decision :))

Our GK situation at the youth level is very weird. Our last U-20 had Mieuleman (played in Scandinavia I think) and Woijtek Z.(member of a Bundesliga youth club) and now look at who is our starting keeper at te U-23 level, Olivieri (an NCAA division II keeper and #3 with Montreal Impact). So both Mieuleman and Woijtek were training with better club, but Olivieri is the one who looks to be the more succesfull despite training with Southern Conn State University while Woijtek was training with the best in German football.

Now look at the current U-20 situation, we have Thunder, Rayner and the guy in Sebia(sorry, I don't remember his name) who were or are training with good europeans clubs and they aren't part of the team. Our starting keeper is playing in the NCAA like our 2nd or 3rd keeper. Only Lindley is playing with a good club team in England. I have a hard time to figure out what's happening with our GKs. Maybe the NCAA is better than we think for GKs developpement?

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Our GK situation at the youth level is very weird. Our last U-20 had Mieuleman (played in Scandinavia I think) and Woijtek Z.(member of a Bundesliga youth club) and now look at who is our starting keeper at te U-23 level, Olivieri (an NCAA division II keeper and #3 with Montreal Impact). So both Mieuleman and Woijtek were training with better club, but Olivieri is the one who looks to be the more succesfull despite training with Southern Conn State University while Woijtek was training with the best in German football.

Now look at the current U-20 situation, we have Thunder, Rayner and the guy in Sebia(sorry, I don't remember his name) who were or are training with good europeans clubs and they aren't part of the team. Our starting keeper is playing in the NCAA like our 2nd or 3rd keeper. Only Lindley is playing with a good club team in England. I have a hard time to figure out what's happening with our GKs. Maybe the NCAA is better than we think for GKs developpement?

You're right. I've often thought that the absolute best training for a young keeper was playing in game situations (albeit with plenty of practice and drilling as well) because so much of being successful in the position is mental - anticipation, positioning & generally reading the game. You can improve more playing in real games and putting the theory into practice than perhaps you can playing in games that, although a higher level, are essentially meaningless (reserve games, practice matches etc.). I wouldn't discount NCAA as an option for young keepers. More games than CIS. And lord knows Karim must have faced a lot of shots at Syracuse this year.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

You're right. I've often thought that the absolute best training for a young keeper was playing in game situations (albeit with plenty of practice and drilling as well) because so much of being successful in the position is mental - anticipation, positioning & generally reading the game. You can improve more playing in real games and putting the theory into practice than perhaps you can playing in games that, although a higher level, are essentially meaningless (reserve games, practice matches etc.). I wouldn't discount NCAA as an option for young keepers. More games than CIS. And lord knows Karim must have faced a lot of shots at Syracuse this year.

The NCAA has produced some fine keeper over the years:

Shaka Hislop (Howard University)

Friedel (UCLA)

Meola (Virginia)

Keller (I think he played at Virginia too)

Hahneman (Reading, D1 England played at UCLA)

Greg Sutton was a DIII keeper at St-Lawrence College

Plus all the NCAA keepers in the MLS, some are very good, some aren't.

Yes, maybe the NCAA is good for goalkeepers. So let's hope Karim, Olivieri and Wagenaar follow those guys.

Archived