U-20s -- Next tournament

The Beaver

quote:Originally posted by Dave

Cam Wilson, Jamie Peters, Dylan Hughes, David Edgar, Jonathan DeGuzman would seem the ones to watch, imo.

Aside from Hughes, aren't these players a little too young to be the stars of the next Canadian U-20 squad? How about Sheppard and Gyaki and Haineault? Are there others? How about in goal? (I should probably take a gander at the CSA site, though their records are not always spot-on)

There was an earlier thread a few months back, but I can't remember who else we listed. I believe that Ledgerwood (born in 1985) is eligible for the next U20 team and would expect him to be one of the leaders of that team given that he will have some prior tournament experience (ie. like Hume & Atiba this time round). I'll mention the two back-up keepers for this tourney, Lindley & Wagenaar, as they are also both eligible for the next tourney (though as our keeping situation seems to swing back & forth and all over the place - witness none of Rayner, Fernandes & Djenkanovic being on this team, it may be unwise to predict). I believe 16 year old Asimir Bergovic is with Portsmouth of the EPL, so he'd be 18 - younger than Lindley & Wagenaar, but a possible 3rd keeper, if not more. There is also young Amir Haroon with Energie Cottbus (he'd be 18 I believe).

I expect Avellino's Franco Lalli to be one of the key strikers (he'd be 19 or 20 in two years) and perhaps Marco Casalinuovo (though I'm not sure where Marco is at this point). They were younger teammates of Belotte & Matondo in the U17 qualifiers a couple of years ago when Wyn was named the qualifying tournament MVP.

I think the side looks as follows:

Keeper: Lindley (Sheffield United); Wagenaar (Hartwick College); Bergovic (Portsmouth)

Defense: Kassaye (Cpt. U-18s); Haineault (Cpt. U-18s); Edgar (Newcastle); Myles Davis (U-17s); Matthew Britner (US College); Ramallo (sp?) (Gronigen); Schialardi (Padova)

Midfield: Ledgerwood (1860 Munich); Gyaki (Sheffield United); De Guzman (Feyenoord); De Jong (PSV); Emmanual Fernandez; Casalinuovo; Peters; Rago (Chile); Patrick Kelly; Vince Stewart; Tyler Rosenlund;

Forwards: Lalli (Avelino); Hughes (Kaiserslautern); Sheppherd (Hertha Berlin); Haroon (Energie Cottbus); Cam Wilson; Ryan O'Neil (US College); Andrea Lombardo (Man City);

This seems to be the best team we have produced by far. It should be noted that Edgar; De Guzman; Lombardo; and Peters are all under age but I believe would all have a pretty good opportunity of making this squad.

I'm not sure yet that we should be expecting to see Jonathan De Guzman in the squad. It would be nice, but from the interviews I've read & comments I've heard I suspect he may not committ to the national program until a spot with the Feynoord senior team is secure. An interview in "It's Called Futbol" ( a local Ontario mag.) quoted Jonathan saying something to the effect that national teams put the emphasis on wanting to win, whereas the club teams emphasize development. It also mentioned that he (through his parents) had declined the CSA's invitation to join the U17 team program. Comments from De Guzman's father in person to a poster on the old board indicated that Mr. De Guzman wanted to be sure not to make the same mistakes with his second son that had happened with the first son (ie. Julian). I believe this is in reference to Julian losing his spot at Olympic Marseille because he went to go play for Canada, and I don't think he wants to see his son's development risked in the same way. Julian has come through in the end, but I guess their perspective is "why risk it" - certainly the U17 tournament wasn't considered enough of a reason to, perhaps the U20 tournament will be different but I wouldn't be surprised if its not until the next Olympic team rolls around.

There's also Julian Uccelo to consider as well, though I think he'd be 18 by the time the next tourney rolls around.

Archived