Olympic Qualifying Format

Varsity Tyler

I have a question about the format for the rest of the U-23 qualifying.

- The next round is 2 groups of 4. We're in it with USA, Panama and Honduras.

- Top 2 move on to the semis, where the semi winners go to Athens.

I assume 2nd place in our group plays the winner of the other group (presumed to be Mexico) in the semis, and visa versa. Are the semis a one-game elimination format or a two-game total goal home and home like the round we just had with ES.

If we end up second in our group and we draw Mexico in the semis, and then it's a one-game knockout, will that one game be played in Mexico? Please say this isn't the case.

Well, the Olympic football tournament is the joint responsibility of the IOC and FIFA, so I don't think we can entirely blame FIFA for this. It may have something to do with the fact that Asia has 60% of the world's population. Perhaps things could be better if the 4th Asia spot would be given to the defending champion (presently Cameroon, who have not yet qualified).

Guys, CAF is Africa, AFC is Asia.

With Africa's recent results in the Olympics (2 straight golds) and their traditionnal force at the youth level, I think it's well deserved. Especially since many European countries don't take the youth teams (even less the Olympic team) too seriously.

As an aside, I looked into what players teams brought to the 2000 Olympics, in regards to using three overage players. The US did (Friedel, Agoos and someone else), and Australia had a few as well (but no Kewell), but many of the big countries did not (Brazil, Italy, Spain, Czechs, etc.)

Interesting to see which countries use the rules to their maximum advantage, and which ones keep in the supposed 'spirit' of the Olympic version of soccer.

As an aside, I looked into what players teams brought to the 2000 Olympics, in regards to using three overage players. The US did (Friedel, Agoos and someone else), and Australia had a few as well (but no Kewell), but many of the big countries did not (Brazil, Italy, Spain, Czechs, etc.)

Interesting to see which countries use the rules to their maximum advantage, and which ones keep in the supposed 'spirit' of the Olympic version of soccer.

It is also interesting that the pressure for the "three overage players allowed at the actual Olympics" rule comes from IOC insistence in an effort to increase the draw and TV ratings. Since 1996, when it was introduced, FIFA didn't want the rule because they didn't want the tourney to just be another version of the World Cup. It was FIFA that insisted on amateurism at the '88 and '92 Olympics, although most of the other sports federations (the IOC pretty well left it in the decision of them) such as the IAF were allowing professionals to perform at the Olympics. The '96 compromise is illogical, because no overage players are allowed to compete in the qualifying.

Archived