Is CIS/NCAA Eligibility Crucial?

ted

In another thread it was noted that what was being discussed would make players ineligible for CIS teams.

I cannot think that the loss of the four month CIS soccer season would impact their development as players so it must be the money issue.

My theory is that if we can pay decent wages then a young player could go to University while playing for a pro team. All we would have to do was pay enough to live on and cover tuition and expenses of University life and they would no longer be dependant on scholarship money.

I know many students who worked/are working through university and I would think that training and doing other promotional/coaching work would be better than bussing tables.

I am interested in other opinions especially from anyone who has been in either the CIS or NCAA system.

A great idea but fairly idealistic...

1. A lot of these kids want to play for their schools so sign amateur contracts with CPSL and A-League teams. A pro contract would disqualify them from OUA and CIS competition. I know in Ontario several schools have game attendance that would be the envy of most CPSL teams so it's fun to play for the school. The calibre of OUA play is fairly good too if you note that the Lynx's Nicki Blicharski also plays for Laurier and didn't even get a second team all-star berth! Ontario student-athletes can accept no money to play their sport. (Academic scholarships not tied to athletics are fine)

2. NCAA scholarships are never for cash but are for all or portions of tuition, room & board, and books. Depending on whether it is a private or state school the yearly cost for a foreign student (that's what we Canadians are) can range from $30,000 to $80,000 per year. No pro team is going to pick that cost up.

I was of the impression that the CIS was looking to start offering athletic scholorships. Besides even if they don't why not have an amateur team play against a pro team? This should not lose eligibilty.

The draw that I see is in this format University teams could play from May to October rather than the current September to November and the level of play and exposure will be much higher, even if they only compete regionally or in a cup. Most of the better players are signing amateur contracts to maintain their eligibilty currently. That would not change.

<CIS schools do offer athletic scholarships. OUA (Ontario) schools are the exception>

True but the scholarships are only in the $1000 -$2000 region which would cover less than 1/4 of the yearly tuition. The scholarships are not available to freshmen.

<The draw that I see is in this format University teams could play from May to October rather than the current September to November and the level of play and exposure will be much higher, even if they only compete regionally or in a cup.>

To play in the OUA/CIS you must be currently enrolled in school and taking a full course load. With the school year September to April, I don't see how a May to October league could work.

Yes, I do realize the current rules are like this. The idea is that the CSA would approach the CIS to get a working relationship going and adust some of these rules. By adjusting the rules and working with a pro league the Universities may be able to attract some players to their schools rather than them playing Div3 in Europe. The bonus from the CSA's position is that the facilities and fan bases are already in place. Granted the switch to summer action might not work in some centres but the bigger schools could to ok.

Archived