Championship Manager - Topic Deleted

strobe_z

Discussion of warez and illegal downloading is not appropriate for this public board. "Older versions" or not, Championship Manager is not in the public domain. Discussions about the game are fine.. just not helping/encouraging people to download illegal copies of the game.

I do apologize for deleting the entire thread, I meant to just delete the offending replies and hit the wrong little trash can. Sorry 'bout that... I don't delete enough to be in practice. [:I]

I didn't say it was smart.... just illegal. The fact that Championship Manager is not in stores in Canada could have a lot more to do with the fact that it's never been released for the North American market.. it's only available as a special order from Europe.

Last time I checked though, many large retail chains still sell games that are more than 2 years old. I'm quite sure I saw NHL'99 at Walmart recently as part of a combo-pack. It may only be $2, but it's still not public property. ;)

Just to weigh in on the legality issue--it is indeed illegal to acquire old software without paying for it. Until the copyright on the thing expires, it's illegal to distribute or download.

There's a movement out there for "Abandonware", where people are trying to get the copyright holders to release their software into the public domain when it no longer has any real retail value. However, getting the copyright holders (who are usually large companies who have bought out the small companies who originally released the software) to do so is time-consuming and something they don't usually care to have their lawyers bill them for.

So in short, you probably won't be able to get hold of a legal copy of CM99-00 or Space Quest II or Madden 89 very easily. Off to e-bay with you...

Allez les Rouges,

M@

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

space quest 2.... what a fun series!

And I thought I would be the only one! Space Quest was the first game I (well, my dad) bought for our Atari 520ST in '87... Space Quest 2 was the Xmas present in '89...

Let's just say that the Abandonware sites got a little traffic, and I had a few pangs of nostalgia recently.

Sierra still rulez yo!

Allez les Rouges,

Or@

I mean

Orat

I mean

M@

Archived