WWC All-Star Team balloting

Soccer Hack

quote:Originally posted by Soccer Hack

http://promotions.yahoo.com/fifamc_2003/

Balloting for the WWC all star team is currently open, although there seems to be a prevalent number of American players listed as opposed to players from any other country (what a surprise! NOT) However, Latham, Hooper and Lang are all listed as options to choose. Check it out.

Yeah, but that would be like getting upset by more of players from Real Madrid being on an All-Spanish League ballot. The best players in the world are American, sadly enough ;)

quote:The best players in the world are American, sadly enough

Bah, I don't agree, I think that we just get bombarded by the American propaganda machine (July Foudy, Kristine Lilly, Mia Hamm they are the best soccer players ever!) so often that we start to believe it. There's no arguing that SOME of the American women are AMONG the best, there's no arguing that they're over-represented on that poll.

Plus, where's Swiatek on the ballot? She's got the second best GAA in the competition, and stopped more shots than Joensson (SWE) and Han (China) who are both listed as options. Unfortunately from my US bashing soap box, I cannot argue Brianna Scurry's place among the top keepers in the WC.

Some of the selections for this reduced pool are a bit curious. Despite the abundance of Americans throughout the ranks, there were no USA defenders listed.

Also, I found it odd that China's keeper made the top 4 in that category. Having seen her last night, she seemed pretty weak (maybe because she had long stretches of inactivity). Still, a more aggressive keeper would have got to the ball on Hooper's goal, and she looked very weak handling Sinclair's (I think) low roller that she stopped and then kept in to avoid a corner.

I'll take Swiatek over her any day.

The whole idea of having an on-line ballot for the all-star team is ridiculous. How many Ghana fans have internet connections? Obviously the results are going to overwhelmingly favour the Americans. If there's even one American player on the ballot who doesn't end up on the all-star team, I will be very surprised. The team should be selected by experts. It shouldn't be a popularity contest.

quote:Originally posted by Soccer Hack

Plus, where's Swiatek on the ballot? She's got the second best GAA in the competition, and stopped more shots than Joensson (SWE) and Han (China) who are both listed as options.

No disagreement on that count! I had the same reaction when I tried to scroll down and realized those were my only choices!!!

quote:Originally posted by Chet

The whole idea of having an on-line ballot for the all-star team is ridiculous. How many Ghana fans have internet connections? Obviously the results are going to overwhelmingly favour the Americans. If there's even one American player on the ballot who doesn't end up on the all-star team, I will be very surprised. The team should be selected by experts. It shouldn't be a popularity contest.

Thankfully it is not completely a popularity contest as the following is from the FIFA site.

The FIFA Women's World Cup USA 2003 is in full swing and the FIFA Technical Study Group (TSG) has selected an initial list of 45 players under consideration for the official MasterCard All-Star team.

The TSG will eventually decide on a final group </u>of the tournament's best 16 players: "The MasterCard All Star Team". Come back here just before the Championship match to see if your selections matched the TSG's.

The TSG is somewhat incompetant as obviously Swiatek should be there and Lang should not.

I think I have only six players. If a player is not listed I didn't vote for a replacement.

Archived