Canadian Women v/s Mexico

The Ref

John Korobanick's article in The Edmonton Journal of August 29, says that the Women team is playing their 30th friendly game next Sunday.

I have not counted the number of games but have no doubt he is correct. So by the time they finish playing Australia, our women would have played a total of 32 friendlies before their first world cup game next month. Isn't that impressive. Wow. Now figure this, just for sake of argument let us say that they have 5 practices before each game. That makes over 150 practices as a team. Don't know either how many players has Pellerud seen in all this time, but I imagine it is a lot. Surely we must be as ready as can be.

How does all this amazing preparation compare to that of the men's team? Hello? I can't hear you!

I haven't heard an actual count, but on the news today they were saying they were expecting upwards of 30,000. Haven't got my seats yet, not sure I will but I might.

Still, 30,000 seems a little high. But it would be a pretty good draw for a friendly against Mexico.

Yeah, there will be a lot of walk-ups.

Comes at a bad time, as many of the Woman's game fans are off to Calgary this weekend for the Provincials.

30,000. Wish the Toronto media would stop raggin' on this "need a National Stadium" theme. The CSA hasn't asked that the sign in front of Commonwealth, "Canada's National Soccer Stadium", be taken down. It's still Canada's only international class soccer stadium, and will be for a long time. And the fans here have proven we deserve the title until someone takes it from us.

GO BIG RED LADIES GO!

Archived