Barça to play in Canada, 2004

Guest Jeffery S.

Guest Jeffery S.

News today in the Barcelona press suggests plans are in the works to alter the system of friendly matches by major Euro and other clubs in North America for next summer.

Barça is reportedly going to do a pre-season starting in Asia, going to Mexico, and then playing in the West of the US and heading up to Canada, what one paper here this morning called "a virgin market" (meaning perhaps "new" for Barça). I assume this means Edmonton around a year from now. Grass gentlemen (y por supuesto ustedes las pocas pero muy bienvenidas señoras).

To improve the idea of making the friendlies more meaningful there are plans to take 8 teams and make a tournament, something to play for and greater incentive. The format is not known, but could mean two groups of four, for three sure friendlies, then perhaps a double header to decide places 1-4 (pure speculation as yet).

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

That would be great if they come to Canada. If we get a good crowd for that game then i am sure more clubs would come. do you think it would be sold out?? if so do u think more clubs would come??

www.cpsl.ca

www.hamiltonthunder.com

I am quite sure that if they come to Canada to play a game there will be an opposing side on the pitch. So that is two teams at least. Enough?

I really don't know why this came up, but it seems the club directors are musing about next year and feel that it is worth altering this year's model of pre-season. And looking at markets. With Marquéz there is the Mexican one, while Canada, I really don't know what the motivation could be, apart from a probably good crowd at Commonwealth. But still, I don't really understand the Canada motivation, though I imagine that it is not only Barça musing about this, others clubs have it in their minds and surely someone in Canada is pushing for it.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

That would be great if they come to Canada. If we get a good crowd for that game then i am sure more clubs would come. do you think it would be sold out?? if so do u think more clubs would come??

www.cpsl.ca

www.hamiltonthunder.com

I am quite sure that if they come to Canada to play a game there will be an opposing side on the pitch. So that is two teams at least. Enough?

I really don't know why this came up, but it seems the club directors are musing about next year and feel that it is worth altering this year's model of pre-season. And looking at markets. With Marquéz there is the Mexican one, while Canada, I really don't know what the motivation could be, apart from a probably good crowd at Commonwealth. But still, I don't really understand the Canada motivation, though I imagine that it is not only Barça musing about this, others clubs have it in their minds and surely someone in Canada is pushing for it.

If I remember correctly, the CSA has a rule that any competition (including friendlies) taking place on canadian soil has to include a canadian team.

(which is what gave birth to those little 3 team tournaments from a few years back)

If I remember correctly, the CSA has a rule that any competition (including friendlies) taking place on canadian soil has to include a canadian team.

(which is what gave birth to those little 3 team tournaments from a few years back)

I hope it's not a friendly against the national team. Looking at these Asian tours where teams like Liverpool take on Malaysia and Singapore, they all come off as so demeaning (right word?) to the national team. Really down plays the team's value.

And having immigrants cheering against Canada is bad enough, I'd hate to see 40,000 pastey white Canadians in Barca jerseys cheering against Canada.

"Winning is most important. Everything is a consequence of that."

-Ayrton Senna (1960 - 1994)

I think most people would view a Barca-Canada friendly as an opportunity to see quality soccer LIVE and both teams would get cheered when they make a good play during the game (or IF in the case of the Canadian team)!

Losing to Barca would not be half as embarrassing as getting blown-out by Cuba!

quote:Originally posted by JayWay

I hope it's not a friendly against the national team. Looking at these Asian tours where teams like Liverpool take on Malaysia and Singapore, they all come off as so demeaning (right word?) to the national team. Really down plays the team's value.

And having immigrants cheering against Canada is bad enough, I'd hate to see 40,000 pastey white Canadians in Barca jerseys cheering against Canada.

AMacPherson

It's not the result that's embarassing, it's simply the principle.

People would come to watch Barca. The crowd would be filled with Barca tops. Just like in Asia when the crowds are filled with English tops.

quote:Originally posted by JayWay

I agree. There were highlights of Hong Kong vs. Liverpool on FSWC. It was just brutal seeing all those people from Hong Kong wearing Liverpool jerseys and cheering the visitors to a 6-0 thrashing of their own country.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

I agree. There were highlights of Hong Kong vs. Liverpool on FSWC. It was just brutal seeing all those people from Hong Kong wearing Liverpool jerseys and cheering the visitors to a 6-0 thrashing of their own country.

I wouldn't see the Hong Kong thing as quite so dire--I think you'll find that Hong Kong residents are far less nationalistic, in general, than people in the West. Hong Kong isn't a country, even, and only six years ago it was British (and retains that British heritage to some extent).

By comparison, it would be far, far more humiliating to have our national team's opponent cheered at a home game. Correction--it is far, far more humiliating.

Allez les Rouges,

M@

Archived