Comments after CR-CUBA

Well, to tell you the truth after the Ticos scored the 3rd goal they gave up completely. The last few minutes of the game was not a soccer match. It was just passing around by the back 3 of the Costa Rican defense, with an occasional run up front. I guarantee that Sampson and Costa Rica stopped at 3 goals to allow Cuba to go through.

But, that's not the point. Canada has only themselves to blame for the loss against Cuba.

I can't stand games like that. I'm sure most people remember Mexico vs Italy in the World Cup last year. One of the best games I'd ever seen. If you wanted to hook someone on soccer, you'd just have to show them that game....until the last few minutes when both teams knew they were through and the ridiculous passing game took over with both teams clearly showing they were trying to kill the clock. It was an embarrassment to the game then and this type of act should be in someway banned.

We made our own bed and now have to lie in it and that's fine. Our lack of finishing skill (and that much to easy second goal against Cuba which ended up killing us in the tourney on goal difference and goals scored) is what eliminated us, so we really don't deserve to be there anymore. I just don't like to see the game wrecked in this type of way. (I imagine it was similar to the Mexico/Italy game last night.)

Regarding CR not trying to score a fourth goal, certainly they shouldn't have to try and do so. Some consider it sportsmanlike to not run up the score although that isn't the issue here.

As long as the soccer governing bodies choose to allow more than one team per group to progress to a second round, this type of gamesmanship will continue in one way or another.

It's easy to solve the problem. Only the top team from any group should proceed to the next round. It's bloody simple.

If they complaing that it eliminates the quarter finals, which it does, simple, make the semi-finals two legs to make up for the monetary short fall of not holding quarter final matches.

Let's stop rewarding second place teams and avoid this conflict of interest crap from the field!

Guest Jeffery S.

I posted on this somewhere else. Said basically it didn't start fixed but could end fixed.

In any case the game was only out of doubt after the third goal, which CR rightly went after since if Cuba had got one back they would have sweat it. The third goal also gave CR breathing room for the first spot in the group, with 1-0 the leader was Cuba on goal difference, with 2-0 they only had a goal advantage in that respect.

I don't care if they played safely in the last minutes, they had every right to do as they pleased. I really don't think they cared who might come second in the group, in spite of Sampson's comments.

It didn't look fixed to me. Costa Rica created some good opportunities for a fourth goal.

I'll admit the Ticos didn't do much in the last five minutes or injury time, but they didn't have to.

You conspiracy theorists can theorize that it took a few minutes to get the 'fix' message from the bench.

I'm surprised that nobody else has mentioned this, but I can't stop thinking about the shirt pull on Paul Stalteri by a Cuban defender right in front of the Cuban goal, in the second half of Monday. A couldn't see it from where I was sitting (we were at the opposite end of the stadium in that half) but the Gillette Stadium jumbotron showed it to us clear as day moments after the whistle (so I presume this means the replay was shown on TV as well.) I was just about ready to throttle the ref at that point, so I don't blame Stalteri for flipping out...

Anyway, this non-call cost us a penalty, a red card and most likely a goal, which would have put us over Cuba in the tie-break. I'm not saying it was a conspiracy to keep Canada out of the knock-out round, just more of the usual crappy CONCACAF refereeing and this time it cost us big.

Mike D

Archived