It's Time For A New Coach.

Unacceptable. Dropping a 2-0 decision to Cuba is simply unacepptable. We were so concentrated on attacking, that we forgot about what it means to defend. Holger's really done himself in this time. What hurts the most is that with all that attacking, we couldn't even put a goal away. Holger's probably having it out at the boys as I type this, but I feel that they should be yelling at him. It doesn't even matter that the horrible sportsmen we faced dove so often and wasted so much time. Given 300 minutes, we wouldn't have put one away. Even if we do have our top strike force of Dwayne and Thomasz in World Cup Qualifying, I honestly don't feel that we'll go very far under Holger's Regime.

We've had little success under Osieck's coaching. The last two Gold Cups, and that's it. The win over Switzerland was great, but it was due to Thomasz. Look at how we did in Japorea qualifying. Horrible. No other way to put it, we simply did terrible. We have good players. The problem is, Holger has no idea how to use them. What we need is a coach who can get us friendlies against North American teams, not lower class European teams who provide absolutely no preparation for the Gold Cup and World Cup Qualifying. And one who'll use our players well. Furthermore, there would be a chance that Bircham would return if Osieck were out of the question. We've given Osieck all this time, and sure, he's given us success at the Gold Cups, but that's quite literally all he's given us. I'm sick of waiting. It's time for a change.

There. After kicking cushions around for fifteen minutes and then typing this at the other forum, and now here, near ALL of my anger is vented. I think I'll have a clementine now

I'll agree with you that this was an unacceptable result. I didn't really see the Cuban goals, I just caught the second one out of the corner of my eye as I was walking in, but the fact of the matter is that Holger is not the one out there doing the finishing.

We could have let 4 or 5 in and still won that game if the finishing was there. It was extremely frustrating and I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking back to Trinidad and Tobago in Edmonton in 2002 qualifying. We had chance, after chance, after chance to score, but we couldn't finish.

I don't know if you can really blame Holger for this one loss. If they're too defensive people(including myself) complain. If they attack too much and allow a couple of goals and can't finish off their many, many opportunities, people complain (including myself).

Fact of the matter is, it doesn't really matter that we let two goals in. We had more than enough opportunities to get them back. We couldn't finish...the same thing that kept us from Japan/Korea...it's that simple...

Guest Georgio

We don't deserve to go through ... coach AND players. Holger's job should be in jeapordy in that case. I have said all along that this should be the true test of whether Holger is able to do a good job before the WCQ. We were lucky against CR. Sampson has proven correct in his analysis of our playing style. Lack of preperation can not play into it at all either with the CR game being the perfect warmup. We should have been in Cuba's end the entire game with the physical play and desire that was only evident after we were 2 down. And dropped the long ball tactic to McKenna at 30min after the Cuban volleyball player shutdown McKenna at every attempt.

Holger should have to answer to this. Fenwick and Dasovic??? Nuff said.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGING Hell!!!!!!!!

quote:Originally posted by Mark

I don't know if you can really blame Holger for this one loss. If they're too defensive people(including myself) complain. If they attack too much and allow a couple of goals and can't finish off their many, many opportunities, people complain (including myself).

It's not that they were too offensive or too defensive. Hell, CR could have exposed us just as Cuba did, if it weren't for their finishing being as poor as our own. We were unprepared defensively to take on long balls and fast breaks, and we paid for it twice tonight (and it could have been more). I would put down the misses as mental and organizational lapses, and the only--the only--place to point the finger on those kind of lapses is at the coach.

Allez les Rouges,

M@

every single game you guys criticize. man you be in holgers shoes lets see what u can do. You guys expect too much. You guys always have something negative to say. OOhh holger should pick aguair, or jazic. I think he should know what he's doing. He's a professional Coach. meanwhile all you so called coaches probablly cant even coach a rep team. It looks easy, you think its easy for holger to call up national team players. You think their all available, and besides that look at it this way "in most eurpean countries the players would die to play for their country, in Canada its the coach would die to get there players to play for their country". I think Holger is doing a great job at what he has. Thats the problem in Canada not the players, not the coaches but the fans. You guys critcize everything, you got to give these guys a chance. go watch an a-league game. no right they all suck, well let me tell u one thing how do u expect them to get better with no money. thats all i have to say!!!

GO CANADA GO!!!

quote:Originally posted by Champs

every single game you guys criticize. man you be in holgers shoes lets see what u can do. You guys expect too much. You guys always have something negative to say. OOhh holger should pick aguair, or jazic. I think he should know what he's doing. He's a professional Coach. meanwhile all you so called coaches probablly cant even coach a rep team. It looks easy, you think its easy for holger to call up national team players. You think their all available, and besides that look at it this way "in most eurpean countries the players would die to play for their country, in Canada its the coach would die to get there players to play for their country". I think Holger is doing a great job at what he has. Thats the problem in Canada not the players, not the coaches but the fans. You guys critcize everything, you got to give these guys a chance. go watch an a-league game. no right they all suck, well let me tell u one thing how do u expect them to get better with no money. thats all i have to say!!!

GO CANADA GO!!!

So... like, you're going to add this to every thread?

I contend that I am still a good fan when I stand behind the team but not the coach.

And I'm wondering about how the money ran out on Sunday. We had just enough cash on hand to make it past Costa Rica, then? Should I lend Holger a few bucks for WCQ?

Kevan, give me a ring... I can float the CSA a twenty till after next payday...

Allez les Rouges,

M@

I dont get it people,

when Israel first started playing at eroupe (after getting kicked

out of asia) we lost 5-2 to Austria,4-0 to france,5-0 to Sweeden...

but the coach staed,and after 3 years that we believed at hem,

we beated Austria 5-0!! the last time we played France we lost only 2-1,

what im trying to say is-are you sure that with you current arsenal of players Canada can do alot beter??

Israel are on their way to...

Euro 2004!!!

Well, I don't recall as it was Holger dragging his sorry ass around the pitch like his boots were filled with cemment. Or star gazing up into the empty grandstands while a whiteshirt tippy toed behind him. There's blame aplent for monday's sorry display and it rests on the lads on the pitch, not all of them, just the ones who broke curfew by being at whatever after hours strip club they were at sunday night/monday morning and then blearily stumbled around in their own personal fog in Boston.

After what is it, 4 years now, I think the lads have all ready heard all of Holger's rah-rah material. If he yells and barks and carrys on then he's a dinasaur insensitive to the modern male footballer. These are grown men mostly playing in Europe who should be professional enough to have thier game **** together without a big group hug up before stepping on the pitch.

When only half of our B team shows to play we're going to loose to Cuba. And it was about the play on the field that's discouraging. Those long spells of careless, effortless, strolling. Ug.

"Minority of one"

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

Problem is greater than Holger. Look to the CSA..

Very good point. But we have to admit that yesterday's game was one of the worst in the last 20 years. No system, kick and try to rush... The Impact would have done a better job. Why is Fenwick still doing with the Nats?

François

www.impactsoccer.com

Excerpt from article on new Serbia coach:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Petkovic said his predecessors had failed to bring fresh blood into the team, adding that some players from what he called "a lost generation" still had a chance of reviving their international careers.

"We must ask ourselves why the likes of Dragan Ciric, Perica Ognjenovic and Goran Drulic never got a fair chance. Perhaps we could still bring some of them back into the picture."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Full article at http://football.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/story/0,1273,-2911056,00.html

Oh for a coach with an open attitude like this!

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change

the subject. -- Winston Churchill

Archived