Holger's Latest Interview: Toronto Star

beachesl

There are two key points that appear to be overlooked.

One is access. I have been a fairly regular reader of Inside Soccer (a publication similar to yours, I assume). I say fairly regular because I don't often go where I can pick it up. I suppose I could subscribe (and maybe I will)but not every issue is of interest to me.

Second and most importantly is immediacy. Comparing the Toronto Star to a weekly or monthly is like comparing apples to oranges. Not to mention the obvious differences in size. It is safe to say that the majority of people on this board are interested in getting immediate information when something of interest happens. There are times when more in depth articles get posted but that tends to be the exception.

Finally, I find it interesting when you infer that reading dailies is peculiar to the people who post on this board. I think that is a reality in general and nothing unique to Voyageurs. We are individuals drawn from the general public. The general public reads dailies. Dailies are accessable and current. Why wouldn't most of the articles posted be drawn from dailies? The challenge for the independent specialized press is the same as for any small business. How do you attract customers away from the big guys.. I don't know the answer but that is the marketplace.

quote:Originally posted by wfp

"The only person in the world to have had a Gold Cup 2003 Preview article published somewhere."

"Where was it published? I'd like to read it.

It's not the SoccerAge.com article that Massive Attacked posted"

Hello

I've noticed and objected in the past to what I think is a peculiar reality here in Voyageurville...Many of you fellas repeatedly quote/reprint articles from the major dailies, while word for word, generally ignore the little football publications across Canada starving for your attention, and support.

I've wondered why we always find the Herald, The Star and Sun and Province, and online soccer sources quoted here, but not the little printed guys. Chances seem pretty good that the chief source of quotes and reprints is from anywhere that publishes text articles on line. Of course pubs like ISM, WFP, ICF and others may offer a wee teaser online, but the guts and glory is only in print.

Answer me please - are we witnessing here a readership that is almost exclusive to that which can be found on the web? This would be a shame. I'm not about to debate the benefits of paper over binary or visa versa but I can tell you there's a marvelous world of footy tales being weaved by many a small pub from east to west, that many at this board appear to be missing.

Gian-Lucas declaration of Gold Cup journalistic singularity led a responder to ask if it was an article appearing online! I rest my case!!

I am honestly curious because we need you to pay attention. And I don't think there's much argument that the big papers could do a damned site more to tease all our pallets.GL's tidy history and group preview and other eclectic nonesense was as stated, from the current issue of World Football Pages, who by the way, do print the Voyageurs Cup releases.

Give it a shot gentlemen - get your asses off your keyboards and give glorious, textile and sexy paper a chance!

Cheers

cjvg

This public service announcement was brought to you by Hey, We're Over Here Incorporated. Thank you.

I plead: 'A pretty move, for the love of God.'

Open letter to Winnipeg Fury- We Need You on New Forum....

July 10 2003 at 1:34 PM beachesl

from IP address 216.95.238.55

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Winnipeg Fury:

We were having a discussion on the new forum about how we need to get information from sources other than the net, and I immediately thought of you. I've been avoing the old forum because of the pesky pop-ups, and I've noticed that not only do you not post on the new forum those articles from smaller centres like Brampton and London which provide so much insight into soccer in Canada, you also don't throw in your usual pithy comments. Then, I saw that you haven't even signed into the new forum.

We would all appreciate it if you could continue your great work on the new forum which can be accessed directly at: http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/

Also, as a Voyageur only since the end of the winter but a long time fan, I have a question: How do you get to have such an amazing access to all the periodicals across Canada that you do? I assume that these papers don't have websites, but I could be wrong.

With genuine respect and appreciation, beachesl

cc: New forum

What we could do is not shut it down completely, but keep it open as a reference. There's a lot of our history in there...but we should prevent any new postings

Mimglow, Ottawa

You are the witness of change

And to counteract

We gotta take the power back

Rage Against The Machine

quote "I get....

by Winnipeg Fury

....all of my pithy (I had to look that up) information (well 95%) from the web.

Feel free to copy my articles I post here on the new site. It's not like I have copyright.

I really don't care for the format at the other site, and don't enjoy reading it. It's often not the topics I read, but certain individuals who post.

I like to log-on and give the site a quick scan, but it's really difficult on the new format." endquote

Good thing he doesn't think I've got a lisp!

Well, he does have a point, a lot of clickin', readin', pickin' and movin' 'round (sorry, just saw "A Mighty Wind") with this forum. Lot of the old-timers like the simplicity, which is lost here. I realize that this format is probably the best of the bunch, pity we can't modify it. Maybe turn one of the discussion threads into one-line-general-topic posts that people could open if they want the text after?

I'm against the idea of strict organization. We can get organized in other ways other than as a lobbying arm. We could barely co-ordinate a 30-person section in Foxboro (and indeed, not all of the Canadian fans on the mailing list will be sitting anywhere near each other). To try to take the jump from merry dis-organization of supporters, to a group of people trying to Change The CSA and The Organization of the Game In Canada seems like a big stretch.

I also worry that it will make us seem elitist. There's already a little (what's the word I'm looking for? friction?) between some of the Toronto Ultras and the Voyageur movement. Other supporters groups I follow that have any kind of structure have a similar kind of problem. Sam's Army is now competing against the Yank Army. There's constant bickering about the Tartan Army and the SFA's Official Travel Club, much of which overlaps, yet the old complain about the new blood.

I personally don't give two toots what Holger thinks about what I write or even if he reads what I write. This is where I get to vent my frustrations over the nationals teams. I feel bad when friends and families of players read things and feel we're unfair. I will always support the team, but I can't go down to the pub and talk about soccer with my friends. I live in a town of 35k, so this board is where I get to air grievances, postulate theories and champion underdogs.

All I want out of this group is for people to get together at stadia where Canada is playing, make noise, make the lads and ladies feel welcomed and supported. Hopefully make watching Canadian soccer seem like a good time to those watching on TV and make the Voyageurs seem like fun to those unfortunate souls that are in other parts of the stadium. We've still got a long way to go.

By all means, if people want to write more here or try to make change by making the CSA more accountable fine. But I don't think we need a board of directors or anything and I certainly think there's a lot more we can do to support the team in the stands.

A wise man once said (was it Ian McKaye or Massive Attack? I forget ;) )

You say I make no difference

But at least I'm trying

what the fuçk have you done?

cheers,

matthew

The secret of life is to find moments of levity and grace in what is, ultimately, a tragedy. Watching Canadian soccer is good practice for this.

I'm against the idea of strict organization. We can get organized in other ways other than as a lobbying arm. We could barely co-ordinate a 30-person section in Foxboro (and indeed, not all of the Canadian fans on the mailing list will be sitting anywhere near each other). To try to take the jump from merry dis-organization of supporters, to a group of people trying to Change The CSA and The Organization of the Game In Canada seems like a big stretch.

I also worry that it will make us seem elitist. There's already a little (what's the word I'm looking for? friction?) between some of the Toronto Ultras and the Voyageur movement. Other supporters groups I follow that have any kind of structure have a similar kind of problem. Sam's Army is now competing against the Yank Army. There's constant bickering about the Tartan Army and the SFA's Official Travel Club, much of which overlaps, yet the old complain about the new blood.

I personally don't give two toots what Holger thinks about what I write or even if he reads what I write. This is where I get to vent my frustrations over the nationals teams. I feel bad when friends and families of players read things and feel we're unfair. I will always support the team, but I can't go down to the pub and talk about soccer with my friends. I live in a town of 35k, so this board is where I get to air grievances, postulate theories and champion underdogs.

All I want out of this group is for people to get together at stadia where Canada is playing, make noise, make the lads and ladies feel welcomed and supported. Hopefully make watching Canadian soccer seem like a good time to those watching on TV and make the Voyageurs seem like fun to those unfortunate souls that are in other parts of the stadium. We've still got a long way to go.

By all means, if people want to write more here or try to make change by making the CSA more accountable fine. But I don't think we need a board of directors or anything and I certainly think there's a lot more we can do to support the team in the stands.

A wise man once said (was it Ian McKaye or Massive Attack? I forget ;) )

You say I make no difference

But at least I'm trying

what the fuçk have you done?

cheers,

matthew

The secret of life is to find moments of levity and grace in what is, ultimately, a tragedy. Watching Canadian soccer is good practice for this.

WFP's interview with Colin Miller was a treat. I am surprised there's not been any comments on it here.

Free the banana cream 3!

Archived