Jamaica, Mexico begin Gold Cup training camps

Massive Attack

Jamaica, Mexico begin Gold Cup training camps

http://www.concacaf.com/news/article.page/1486

17.06.03 - Jamaica and Mexico have announced their respective training camp rosters for the 2003 CONCACAF Gold Cup this week.

Technical director Carl Brown has called several foreign-based players to join the Jamaican squad on Tuesday in Montego Bay, while Mexico’s technical director Ricardo La Volpe has selected 22 to the training camp roster that begins on 23 June at the Centro de Alto Rendimiento in Mexico City.

The foreign-based players for Jamaica include: forwards Darren Byfield (Rotherham FC/ENG D1), Paul Hall (Rushden & Diamonds/ENG D3), Kevin Lisbie (Charlton Athletic/ENG); midfielders Micah Hyde (Watford FC/ENG D1), Keith Kelly (R A E C Mons/BEL), James Lawrence (Walsall/ENG D1), Andrew Williams (Chicago Fire/USA); and defenders Michael Johnson (Birmingham City FC/ENG), Tyrone Marshall (Los Angeles Galaxy/USA), Craig Ziadie (NY/NJ MetroStars/USA).

The Reggae Boyz are scheduled to host Cuba in an international friendly on 6 July in Kingston, before greeting Paraguay three days later.

The tricolores are mostly dominated by players of the Mexican League and has the return of goalkeeper Oscar Pérez (CD Cruz Azul) and defender Miguel Zepeda (CD Cruz Azul), along with the training camp new additions of defender Ricardo Osorio (CD Cruz Azul) and midfielders Fernando Salazar (CF Atlas), Mariano Trujillo (Pumas UNAM).

Mexico will travel to Carson, California USA to meet El Salvador on 6 July at the Home Depot Center before returning to Mexico City for the Gold Cup.

The 2003 Gold Cup will run from 12-27 July in three venues: Foxboro, Massachusetts; Miami, Florida USA and Mexico City.

Mexico will host Group A at the Estadio Azteca, along with Honduras and five-time FIFA world champions Brazil, while Jamaica will compete in Group B with Colombia and Guatemala at the Orange Bowl in Miami.

The GOLD CUP 2003 Schedule of Matches and Groupings CLICK HERE

JAMAICA

GK: Aaron Lawrence (Reno FC), Donovan Ricketts (Village United FC), Shawn Sawyers (Hazard United FC);

DF: Claude Davis (Hazard United FC), Michael Johnson (Birmingham City FC/ENG), Tyrone Marshall (Los Angeles Galaxy/USA), Marco McDonald (Tivoli Gardens FC), Gerald Neil (Arnett Gardens FC), Robert Scarlett (Harbour View FC), Damion Stewart (Harbour View FC), Craig Ziadie (NY/NJ MetroStars/USA);

MD: Cornel Chin-Sue (Arnett Gardens FC), Omar Daley (Hazard United FC), Micah Hyde (Watford FC/ENG D1), Keith Kelly (R A E C Mons/BEL), James Lawrence (Walsall/ENG D1), Theodore Whitmore (Seba United FC), Andrew Williams (Chicago Fire/USA);

AT: Darren Byfield (Rotherham FC/ENG D1), Paul Hall (Rushden & Diamonds/ENG D3), Kevin Lisbie (Charlton Athletic/ENG), Roen Nelson (Hazard United FC), Fabian Taylor (Harbour View FC).

TD: Carl BROWN

MEXICO

GK: Oscar Pérez (CD Cruz Azul), Oswaldo Sánchez (CD Guadalajara);

DF: Omar Briceño (Tigres UANL), Melvin Brown (CD Cruz Azul), Salvador Carmona (CD Toluca), Rafael Márquez (Mónaco/FRA), Mario Méndez (CF Atlas), Ricardo Osorio (CD Cruz Azul), Pavel Pardo (Club América), Mariano Trujillo (Pumas UNAM);

MD: Rafael García (CD Toluca), 16.- Luis Ernesto Pérez (CF Monterrey), Eduardo Rergis (Atlante FC), Juan Pablo Rodríguez (CF Atlas), Fernando Salazar (CF Atlas), Octavio Valdez (CD Toluca);

AT: Jesús Arellano (CF Monterrey), Jared Borgetti (Club Santos Laguna), Omar Bravo (CD Guadalajara), Daniel Osorno (CF Atlas), Irving Rubirosa (Atlante FC), Miguel Zepeda (CD Cruz Azul).

TD: Ricardo LA VOLPE

-------------------------

"I'm going to buy a gun and start a war,

If you can tell me something worth fighting for"

A Rush of Blood To The Head - Coldplay

I can tell you that Canada's training camp starts July 2nd in Ontario, before moving down to the US a few days before the Gold Cup begins. You have to wonder how many players are going to be available for the whole camp though, especially with some European pre-seasons starting earlier than I had expected, and with some other players in the middle of their Scandinavian league season. It will be interesting (to say the least) to see who gets called & is able to make it.

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

The training camp will probably be at Nottawasaga INN near Alliston in Ontario (just a guess). I think a lot of the Euro leagues are starting earlier this year because of Euro 2004

Yeah, I've heard Nottawasaga as well.

I wonder if we will have a 23 man roster as well (like the Jamaicans & Mexicans have announced).

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

I stayed at the Nottawasaga Inn one winter for a weekend getaway. There's a soccer field right out in front of it, next to Highway 89. I guess its a nice little retreat for the players to train there.

Archived