Blatter Knocks Spain, still Against 32 team WC

Massive Attack

FIFA president Sepp Blatter criticizes Spanish League's "lack of respect"

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/2003/06/17/113362-ap.html

By JEROME PUGMIRE

PARIS (AP) - FIFA president Sepp Blatter accused the Spanish League of displaying "a lack of respect" toward international competitions by not ending its season until late June.

Several stars, including Brazil's Ronaldo and France's Zinedine Zidane, will miss the Confederations Cup, which starts Wednesday. Ronaldo and Zidane play for Real Madrid, which has a two-point lead going into the final weekend.

"The intentional calendar states that June 15 to July 15 are dates reserved for national teams," Blatter said Tuesday during a news conference. "Only one league in Europe keeps playing in this time period - Spain. It's a lack of discipline and a lack of respect. We will face up to Spain's situation and bring this before the (FIFA) executive committee when we meet on June 28."

Turkey, which opens Thursday against the United States, still doesn't know whether it will have Nihat Kahveci and Tayfun Korkut, who play for Real Sociedad. Kahveci has 22 goals for Real Sociedad this season.

Blatter repeated that he opposes the proposal by South America's governing body to increase the World Cup field from 32 to 36, a plan that will be voted on by the executive committee later this month.

"The World Cup is FIFA's flagship," he said. "You should not try to put new sails on an old ship, because you may tilt the boat."

He expects that after 2005, the Confederations Cup will be played every four years instead of every two.

"It has to start somewhere

It has to start sometime

What better place than here

What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now"

Guerilla Radio - Rage Against The Machine

Guest Jeffery S.

What a hypocrite, pointing to Spain.

The Brazilian championship is still on, there is a conflict there as players needed to win a league are being called for Confed, others left.

Copa Libertadores is still on, with the top team from Colombia involved to boot.

MLS is still on and won't stop for Confed, forcing some political call-ups to not deplete certain sides.

And if any team happened to have a player in Russia, Ukraine, Sweden or Norway, not impossible given some of the teams involved (New Zealand, Turkey), those leagues would be conflictive too.

Would Blatter have said this about Norway or Sweden if we had qualified for Confed? I doubt it, as all he is interested in is certain names that help the event in pure marketing terms, he doesn't care that all the sides are fielding their best squads.

The MLS represents a completely different set of circumstances than Spain.

Firstly, America's top flight starts moths later than Spain’s. So you can’t expect it to shut down between June 15 and July 15.

Secondly, there are far fewer “club vs. country” conflicts in the MLS. Landon Donovan is going to be gone a month from the Earthquakes (for U-20 and snr. matches) and the organisation has said nothing. Moreover, Pat Onstad was allowed to play for us on a non-calendar date.

I am not saying that the MLS is a utopia—I believe that some Caribbean countries have had issues getting their players for matches. But there is far less pressure on players to stay with their club team.

"A pretty move, for the love of God."

Eduardo Galeano

I have to agree with Jeffrey on this one. Blatter's quote "only 1 league in Europe keeps playing at this time - Spain" is insulting to those other leagues which are playing at this time - including Sweden, Norway, Denmark and some "obscure" country called Russia - all are legitimate & respected footballing countries & leagues.

If Blatter wants to complain about something not fitting in between the June 15th - July 15th, why doesn't he complain about the Gold Cup, which is July 12 to 27, presumably to avoid conflict with the Confederations Cup (which of course Blatter champions).

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

I agree that Blatter is just looking to market the tournament and his comments towards Spain are unfair, but really there are sporting reasons for most of those other leagues to be playing at this time while there isn't a good sporting reason for Spain to be playing. The problem is 20 teams in the league --- due to an interest in money on the part of Spanish clubs, just like Blatter!

In general I think all leagues should be capped at 18 (preferably 16) teams or 34 (preferably 30) games. (Unfortunately there is once again a push (by relegated clubs, big surprise!) to have Serie A expanded to 20 teams. I really hope that doesn't happen.)

I like that Blatter wants the Confederations Cup every four years instead of every two. As I have posted before, I think the following four-year cycle should be implemented: Year 1 - World Cup, Year 2 - Club World Championship, Year 3 - all confederation championships, Year 4 - Confederations Cup. Couple this standardization with that for league size described above and I think the club vs. country problem would be lessened.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

I like that Blatter wants the Confederations Cup every four years instead of every two. As I have posted before, I think the following four-year cycle should be implemented: Year 1 - World Cup, Year 2 - Club World Championship, Year 3 - all confederation championships, Year 4 - Confederations Cup. Couple this standardization with that for league size described above and I think the club vs. country problem would be lessened.

You're forgetting about a little thing called "World Cup Qualifying"...

Allez l'Impact!

Allez les Rouges!

Allons Ultras!

Actually if most of the WCQ is done in the year before the World Cup (the year of the confed), it shouldn't be such a big obstacle. After all, if Brazil can send a B team to the confed then so can everyone else. It's really not that important a tournament anyhow, and I wouldn't think it would hijack anyone's WCQ.

A shame, though, that Spain has to ruin everything for everyone. You and what armada, I would say.

(Which is the smiley for "facetious"[?])

Allez les Rouges,

M@

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

You're forgetting about a little thing called "World Cup Qualifying"...

No, it would work just as it does now. WCQ is not restricted to one year, but rather it begins right after the confederation championships in Year 3 and continues throughout Year 4, with a break for the Confederations Cup for the 8 teams that are involved, if necessary. Same goes for confederation championship qualifying: they begin right after the WC in Year 1 and continue throughout Year 2, with a break for the Club World Championship probably for everyone this time.

the Spanish League has always ended in June. Blatter should be aware of that, they also have a break in their season. The bigger question is why have this tournament in the first place. In general no one is interested and many of you are right. The Brazilian & Colombian League is on now and so is the Copa Libertadores. So why single out Spain.

Just because something has always been doesn't mean it's wrong to expect them to change. Everyone must get in line with the FIFA schedule, or else we'll have situations like Man U taking a pass on the FA CUP in 2001(?).

And just because others are doing it doesn't make it right.

Mimglow, Ottawa

Where are the weapons of mass destruction?

Archived