Real Madrid agrees to terms with David Beckham

Jarrek

Report: Real Madrid agrees to terms with David Beckham

June 17, 2003

MADRID, Spain (AP) -- English soccer star David Beckham reportedly has agreed to a four-year contract with Real Madrid.

Spanish radio network Cadena Ser reported Tuesday that the England captain and midfielder for Manchester United will get a $29 million deal. Beckham will be at a news conference in Madrid on July 2, Cadena Ser said.

Beckham left England on Tuesday for a promotional tour of Japan, Vietnam, Malaysia and Thailand. He refused to answer questions about his future before boarding an airplane in London.

ADVERTISEMENT

The 13-year veteran with Premier League champion Manchester United has feuded with team manager Sir Alex Ferguson. He appeared headed to Barcelona, Real Madrid's archrival, when Joan Laporta announced he reached a deal with United to transfer Beckham -- if Laporta was elected Barcelona team president. That reportedly was a $30 million deal.

But Beckham balked at joining Barcelona -- or leaving Manchester at all.

Real, nine-time winner of the European Cup, already has several high-priced stars, including Brazil's Ronaldo, France's Zinedine Zidane, Portugal's Luis Figo and Spain's Raul Gonzalez.

Beckham is as much a cultural icon in Britain as he is a soccer player.

His ever-evolving haircuts are mimicked by many a teenager, and his jet-set lifestyle with wife Victoria, a former Spice Girl, the envy of many more.

Okay, now the real question: What do they do with their over-abundance of midfield talent? Zidane, Figo and Makelele are sure-fire starters when they are not injured.

I say they switch to a 3-5-2. It's not like they play defence anyways...

Mimglow, Ottawa

Where are the weapons of mass destruction?

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Real should change their name.

How do you say "Immortals" in Spanish?

Just a note for the detail-lovers. Real Madrid is El Real, while Real Sociedad, being a Royal Society and "sociedad" feminine in Spanish, is La Real.

So this year's league is for grabs between El and La Real.

No other team with Real in their name in Spain is known by such short versions, and there is Real in Zaragoza, Espanyol, Betis, Murcia recently promoted, Valladolid, Mallorca, lots of them.

Now if you say Racing in Spain what team are you generally referring to?

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Now if you say Racing in Spain what team are you generally referring to?

Santander? Hey, they are a Real as well! The only other one I know is Ferrol.

(Of course, without the Spanish context "Racing" to me means Racing Club from Avellaneda, Argentina, one of my favourite clubs outside of those to which I am particularly attached.)

My questions (to which I don't know the answers): Who hates Real Madrid more, Barcelona fans or Atlético Madrid fans? How, despite near-bankruptcy a few years ago, did Real Madrid manage to buy Figo, Zidane, Ronaldo and Beckham in successive years without selling anyone nearly as significant? Will Real Madrid become a real soccer team rather than a collection of highly-marketable names by finally getting some defence?

I hate Beckham and Man U (and Real Madrid, for that matter --- and that much more as a result of this development, though at least most of the players I hate are congregating in one place!). But, having lost Alessandro Nesta last year who in many ways was to Lazio what Beckham was to Man U, I sympathize with Man U fans (well, the real ones, anyway) --- and am saddened at yet another example of the lack of loyalty between clubs and players.

Guest Jeffery S.

Who hates Madrid more?

Definitely Barça fans. Especially since the city rivalry is the biggest, and since Barça has a realistic chance of beating them on the basis of budgets, potential, but usually fail. It is a Catalan thing, but by that logic the Basque teams should be equally hateful, and perhaps, accustomed to their secondary lot, are in fact not in football terms.

Politics is another question for the Basques. If you are going to hate Spain and Madrid as its symbol the last serious thing you are going to do is worry about how that pans out in soccer. While the Catalans are happy with the symbol of Barça (hate Real Madrid) some radical Basques are planting bombs vs. the power the City and multiple govenments of Madrid represents. Big difference.

You are right of course about the Racing question. Racing Ferrol too. Usually a turf (horse) club gone towards football, often in upper or staunchly middle class circles (like Avellaneda). I like these ones, Racing, Sporting, Athletic, and perhaps the fave, Gimnasio y Esgrima de la Plata. For the name (Boca forever!)

Archived