Edmonton Drillers nostalgia - National Professional Soccer League

Gerbilfarmer

I had a dream that I was playing for the Edmonton Drillers who I remember watching as a kid. I just have some random questions about the league and thought this might be the place to ask them. 

How much did players make in this league? What were salaries like for average players and star players? Did they actively recruit outdoor players or what was the scouting system like. Was there a draft? And I noticed that the Edmonton Drillers were really far away from the other teams. Could they afford to fly to away games or did they have to bus everywhere? Thank you so much in advance and sorry if this is not the right place to ask this.

On 2/11/2023 at 1:39 AM, Gerbilfarmer said:

I had a dream that I was playing for the Edmonton Drillers who I remember watching as a kid. I just have some random questions about the league and thought this might be the place to ask them. 

How much did players make in this league? What were salaries like for average players and star players? Did they actively recruit outdoor players or what was the scouting system like. Was there a draft? And I noticed that the Edmonton Drillers were really far away from the other teams. Could they afford to fly to away games or did they have to bus everywhere? Thank you so much in advance and sorry if this is not the right place to ask this.

One person you could ask is Steven Sandor, a journalist based in Edmonton who used to report on Canadian soccer extensively.  I am sure he covered the team when they were around.

1979  1979 Edmonton Drillers soccer Roster on StatsCrew.com
Team Record: 8-22 - 88 points
in the NASL's Western Division
Coach: Hans Kraay (6-19)
Coach: Joe Petrone (2-3)
Attendance: 148,854, Avg. 9,924 in 15 home dates

1980  1980 Edmonton Drillers soccer Statistics on StatsCrew.com
Team Record: 17-15 - 149 points
in the NASL's Western Division
Lost Conference Semifinal
Attendance: 174,717, Avg. 10,920 in 16 home dates

1981  1981 Edmonton Drillers soccer Statistics on StatsCrew.com