Going to Qatar - Touristy Things To Do

Yes, most of us are going there for the games but I would love to start some discussion about things to do and places to see in Qatar for the full tourist experience.

It will be our first time in Qatar. We are going for 5 games in 4 days/nights, so there won't be much time to do other things but we want to try. I would welcome feedack and suggestions from those have that been there or have been planning for it.

Souq Al Wakra - This looks a bit out of the way but accessible by Uber/taxi, even the metro. Feels like a more authentic local experience, a place where you can spend a morning or late night/dinner around where the locals hang out.

Museum of Islamic Art - There's a museum pass for those that want to hit a few more museums but looks expensive compared to just buying tickets if only hitting 1-2 museums. Great location, great architecture and something worth immersing into. The vista across the waterfront towards the city look great.

Souq Wakif - Probably touristy but sometimes you just have to go where everybody goes.

Corniche - Any chance we can rent scooters in the areas and get a full run up and down for the views?

Thoughts? Ideas?

I’d like to check out the camel racing. Just something I want to see once.

The other big one for me is the sand dunes. I’d love to be able to experience that in the 4x4’s. Concern here is the cost. Obviously prices will be jacked up and I don’t mind paying more for a once in lifetime opportunity but if the price gets out of control, I need to be realistic. I’m not going to book in advance. Figure this out when I get there.

If you look on TripAdvisor, many but not all of the tours are jacked up for the WC by 3X to 10X.  There are a few that are less than that.  The kayaking in mangroves excursion is one of those that I may sign up for.  There are also a couple of guided city walking tours that are more reasonable (in that context).  Most of the excursions to the desert are ridiculous.  

On 10/22/2022 at 7:25 AM, EJsens1 said:

I’d like to check out the camel racing. Just something I want to see once.

The other big one for me is the sand dunes. I’d love to be able to experience that in the 4x4’s. Concern here is the cost. Obviously prices will be jacked up and I don’t mind paying more for a once in lifetime opportunity but if the price gets out of control, I need to be realistic. I’m not going to book in advance. Figure this out when I get there.

Lol, is it outrageous to ask if we can gamble on that?

We booked a desert tour a few months ago when we first committed to the trip. We've since decided to bring our teenage boys with us and were interested in adding them to the tour. Cost has gone up about 300% from what we paid. I'll probably just leave them at the Hotel to sleep in.

On 10/19/2022 at 6:13 PM, DrunkenGoon said:

Corniche - Any chance we can rent scooters in the areas and get a full run up and down for the views?

Thoughts? Ideas?

On 10/19/2022 at 6:13 PM, DrunkenGoon said:

I'm Seeing Loop Mobility as an option of renting an E-Scooter. That would be a great way to get around the popular areas. I will be looking at renting something like this.