West Ham

Greatest Cockney Rip Off

That QPR match was really bad. Both team were pretty poor but that was also a good sign for West Ham. They rarely play bad and win.

West Ham's success is purely down to great signings and good luck. With Carrol and Nolan being injured at the beginning of the season it forced Sam to try a different approach. He moved Downing into the middle and played two up front. In the 4 previous years, Sam had only played 2 up front twice. He even played 3-6-1 in the FA cup last year! So the change in tactics helped, but the fact that 7 summers signings have all had the opportunity to start in their correct position and have made immediate impacts, has been the biggest factor. Alex song has been pure class and has been putting in motm performances almost every week. We finally have fullback with pace who can get up and down the pitch and deliver a good final ball. Aaron Cresswell has been unbelievably good at leftback. Was bought from Ipswich and could very well end up playing for England. And Valencia, Sakho and Zarate have all been scoring goals.

Injuries have been a big problem for the past month and Carrol and Nolan are back in the team but they are still playing ok. Apparently everyone is fit for tomorrow. Still, I am a West Ham supporter and I know they will find a way to balls it up. It is the West Ham way. But regardless of where West Ham finish, this season has been very refreshing. Every time I see an Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham or Manchester United loss, it gives me hope of a different looking table at the end of the season.

I am not excited at all about the move to the athletics stadium. I don't live that far away from it and pass it every time I go to upton park and I am really dreading the move. I hope it will be ok but I just don't see how it will be possible. London will be extremely weird in a few years. You guys are going to build a new ground, Spurs working on their new ground, even Brentford will have a new ground (I really love Griffin park. Always take in a few matches there each year).

I'm forever blowing bubbles too via my Dad who spent time there after the war.  It's been a long wait and rocky road, especially the last decade with the Tevez scandal, Icelandic bankruptcy, closes escapes and another drop and pop.  

Nice see Andy Carroll finally get involved in a goal, hopefully it raises interest in him in the transfer market.

A friend of mine was saying there are a lot of people who live near Upton park not excited about the move.  I've been to the Olympic Stadium in the park a few times and it's pretty antiseptic, wish I had a better feeling.  I've also seen Espanyol a few times at the Olympic stadium on Montjuïc and been to Hertha's Olympiastadion in Berlin and corporate-wise they're top notch but they rank in the lower end of experiences from a regular punter.

Boxing day Friday is the Chelsea derby at the Bridge and two days later home for the Arsenal one.  I know what I want for Christmas.

Archived