MLS expansion and Orlando City???

msilverstein47

Yeah, I've been thinking ever since the Cosmos went NASL route that Orlando was where they would go rather than NYC. I can't see the Cosmos jumping ship after only 1 or 2 years...and if they were allowed to, then the NASL needs to have better underwriters.

The business model is tourists? I understand Orlando is a large population but it is really suburban as far as I understand. MLS may like the idea of a "Florida market" but I'd like to hear how they expect to interact with supporters who'll create the types of connections. MLS' biggest successes have occurred where a urban core of supporters has done the hardest work of making these teams meaningful - brands 'built' around a star name have two exceptions.

The business model is tourists? I understand Orlando is a large population but it is really suburban as far as I understand. MLS may like the idea of a "Florida market" but I'd like to hear how they expect to interact with supporters who'll create the types of connections. MLS' biggest successes have occurred where a urban core of supporters has done the hardest work of making these teams meaningful - brands 'built' around a star name have two exceptions.

Orlando has base of 7000 attendance. MLS, plus SSS is easily 20k in Orlando IMO. And Orlando City has so far shown itself to be pretty savvy and not run by idiots. I'm sure they have marketing plan in place. Plus, if partnered with Disney and Universal Studios, they could be offering tickets to OC games as part of travel package

Has Orlando currently bought into the USLpro/ MLS farm set up? If so it would make sense for full MLS to be the next step.

Even MLS seems to be conceeding that MLS in queens is looking like a busted flush now that the Cosmos have moved from a brand name only set up.

Jeeze how much must MLS regrett missing out on buying that COSMOS Logo. It's like the Decca Beatles thing all over again. And somehow I don't see Orlando as been the equivalent to the Rolling Stones.

Has Orlando currently bought into the USLpro/ MLS farm set up? If so it would make sense for full MLS to be the next step.

Even MLS seems to be conceeding that MLS in queens is looking like a busted flush now that the Cosmos have moved from a brand name only set up.

Jeeze how much must MLS regrett missing out on buying that COSMOS Logo. It's like the Decca Beatles thing all over again. And somehow I don't see Orlando as been the equivalent to the Rolling Stones.

Orlando is affiliate of Kansas City until 2014

I tweeted not long ago that I see Orlando happening before NY2. MLS is stuck in a war with Queens municipality over that Flushing site, and I don't see either backing down. Knowing that Orlando City has the deal with KC till 2014 I see OC making a move for an MLS franchise for 2015. Will NY2 be ready to go in time? I doubt it.

Archived