Provincial West

Hamilton Serbians

Mississauga AC Soccer Diavoli

Caledon FC

Toronto Blackstar FC

Mississauga/Brampton PCC

PCC Cambridge Supersonics

Toronto Peniche CC

Again, hardly a Provincial League... GTA at best. What is the non-draw for teams?

It has already been explained on here times beyond count in the context of the CSL. The travel demands make a conventional league format covering all of southern Ontario highly problematic if elite amatuer or semi-pro are involved in an open age format rather than a student athlete type of league. The OSL pretends to cater to this by having the east and west geographical divisions but that's just window dressing and there has been no serious attempt to integrate teams from large cities more distant from the GTA like London, Windsor and Ottawa so they tend to stick to their local district leagues for the most part. Top teams from the other large cities do get to compete against the OSL teams in the context of the Ontario Cup, however, often winning and representing the province at the national championships, partly because a lot of the top players in the GTA play in the CSL rather than the OSL although there usually isn't much of a gap in quality between the two leagues.

It has already been explained on here times beyond count in the context of the CSL. The travel demands make a conventional league format covering all of southern Ontario highly problematic if elite amatuer or semi-pro are involved in an open age format rather than a student athlete type of league. The OSL pretends to cater to this by having the east and west geographical divisions but that's just window dressing and there has been no serious attempt to integrate teams from large cities more distant from the GTA like London, Windsor and Ottawa so they tend to stick to their local district leagues for the most part. Top teams from the other large cities do get to compete against the OSL teams in the context of the Ontario Cup, however, often winning and representing the province at the national championships, partly because a lot of the top players in the GTA play in the CSL rather than the OSL although there usually isn't much of a gap in quality between the two leagues.

Are they still calling it the Ontario Cup? I figured by now they'd just renamed it "Property of AEK London" :P

Looking at the top goal scorers in the CSL last year many played the year before in the OSL. Not sure if anyone has heard of a player by the name of Sahjah Reid who lead the OSL with 30 goals last season. This young man should be playing for TFC and we talk about talent flying under the radar he is one for sure. The only other player I saw that played at the OSL level and who wowed you with his play was Dero when he was a teenager. Reid is still young I believe only 21 or 22 years old.

Looking at the top goal scorers in the CSL last year many played the year before in the OSL. Not sure if anyone has heard of a player by the name of Sahjah Reid who lead the OSL with 30 goals last season. This young man should be playing for TFC and we talk about talent flying under the radar he is one for sure. The only other player I saw that played at the OSL level and who wowed you with his play was Dero when he was a teenager. Reid is still young I believe only 21 or 22 years old.

He's a late '90 from what i found on the net...

http://www.e7sports.com/players/mso/SAHJREID.HTM

He was MVP and led the OSL South U21 region in scoring in 2008 before doing what he did last year. SR, do you know if he'll be playing in the CSL next year?

Again, hardly a Provincial League... GTA at best. What is the non-draw for teams?

more like a golden horseshoe area league since it encompasses the top teams from Niagara, Hamilton, Cambridge, Kitchener, Oshawa, GTA, areas north of Tor, etc...

its unfortunate teams from Ottawa, London, Windsor cant or choose not to partake in the league but its simply too far for them

more like a golden horseshoe area league since it encompasses teams from Niagara, Hamilton, Cambridge, Kitchener, Oshawa, GTA, etc...

its unfortunate teams from Ottawa, London, Windsor cant partake in the league but its simply too far for them

They really ought to just add a division in the south west, or, better yet, get an agreement between the current OSL and WOSL to create an OSA premier league.

WOSL premier could promote into it, I imagine, as the top teams in premier in any given season have a lot of money, talent, and reputation.

Are they still calling it the Ontario Cup? I figured by now they'd just renamed it "Property of AEK London" :P

yes aek london has been successful over the last few yrs but i wouldnt count out any top OSL or Ottawa clubs from winning this yr. its been hardly a cake walk for aek in the ont cup. plus, many other active teams have won multiple ont cups so why not name the cup after those clubs jokingly?

WOSL premier could promote into it, I imagine, as the top teams in premier in any given season have a lot of money, talent, and reputation.

As you say if the OSA were serious about trying to have a truly provincial OSL league format, the top half dozen or so WOSL premier clubs (i.e. the usual suspects in terms of Ontario Cup entry) would simply be invited to form the nucleus of another top tier provincial division with the rest of WOSL feeding into it in pro/rel terms just as the TDSL does in a Toronto context. Not exactly an exercise in rocket science.

I suspect something like that is unlikely to ever happen, however, because of the soccer association politics involved. The OSA is very Toronto-centric so to them the current format is the natural order of things because their perception tends to be that nothing much of any conseqence in soccer terms happens beyond the Niagara Escarpment.

The flip side of that is that the district associations outside the Golden Horseshoe wouldn't actually want to integrate into more of a provincial structure in league terms because they very much prefer to do their own thing locally and try to tune out the provincial association as much as possible.

He's a late '90 from what i found on the net...

http://www.e7sports.com/players/mso/SAHJREID.HTM

He was MVP and led the OSL South U21 region in scoring in 2008 before doing what he did last year. SR, do you know if he'll be playing in the CSL next year?

Not sure if he is playing in the CSL but he is wasting his talent in the OSL. I talked to a guy associated with Caledon and he said he has had some trials in Europe.

Agreed, 2 teams could potentially make a big splash in the Ontario Cup - The Ottawa Royals for obvious reasons, final last season, won it in 2003. They are building another great team. But another team, that they will likely meet in the second round, a team that beat them for the league this past season, Capital United are a good young team, and if they get through the Royals can put up a great match for any team..

So without the obvious bias of people, who are some favourites?? I haven't been involved in the Ontario Cup since the Royals of 2003, so I am a bit out of the loop! I remember London Portugese always being very strong, and GS United..?

Archived