New Fields

I wasn't sure if this was the right forum, however most grassroots type stories are here. So if the issue with getting more professionalism into club starts with proper facilities, I thought I would start with this story out of Winnipeg about a high school getting 2.5 acres of land for a soccer / football field. The University of Winnipeg wants in on it too. The school looks like it is on the Trans Canada Highway in down town Winnipeg. Sounds like a pretty good spot to have a beer and watch some local soccer talent.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/gordon-bells-field-of-dreams-still-an-empty-lot-101144499.html

I'd encourage more of these "growth of the game" stories to be posted. I like to dream about the growth of the sport as much as the next person but to see these stories in print, well that is reality isn't it?

Just a quick add on from the professional POV. The CFL operates or will be operating in 3 stadiums owned by Universities; McGill / Montreal, Calgary / Calgary and Manitoba / Winnipeg.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Stadium+still+home+sweet+home/3400955/story.html

It is an interesting set of partnerships the Uni's have made with pro football, would it work for soccer? 40+ soccer schools in the CIS, I'd think more than a few would be willing to take on a pro or semi-pro tenant.

Gordon Bell?

It's an awkward bit of land in the Broadway/Wolsley area. To be honest, I'm not sure you could fit a proper pitch onto the parcel they're referring to. All the excitement about the playing fields comes down to the fact Gordon Bell (how to put this?), is an especially urban high school. The school has no attached fields, and given the local demographics that was never particularly a big concern. They've got bigger fish to fry.

Don't get me wrong. I'm just saying Gordon Bell is one interesting place, tucked into one of Winnipeg's most interesting neighbourhoods. Take a touch of the million dollar liberal crusader class and blend them in with the poorest of the poor and there you've got it, Gordon Bell.

Take it from my personal experience, this is not a place where you want to be having a beer in public. Least not if you don't have the where with all of defending that right.

Honestly though, it's a no-brainer that the old Eastern Chrysler property should be given over to the High School for athletics. We'll see what becomes of it.

Speaking of new fields you should see what's become of ol' Central Park here is The Peg. Now THERE is a story of positive neighbourhood evolution.

Amongst other things, a FieldTurf pitch serving the local community in what was once no-go region of Winnipeg's downtown gang-land country.

Or the plastic pitches they've put down at Winnipeg Soccer Complex. Fields #1 & #2 have gone artificial and with the flood lights have finally turned the WSC into the home of outdoor Winnipeg soccer that was always the intention.

Yeah, Vince Leah is still a prominent location but without lighting, and the versatility which comes with fake turf in this part of the country, there is no denying WSC is the home of Winnipeg soccer. Full stop.

No chance the piece of land attached to Gordon Bell would be large enough to contain a full sized pitch. Cheeta you make a valid point about the neighbourhood as well, but as someone who lives up north in Thompson, bad reps arent always all they're made out to be

Archived