Reserve Leagues

Just a quick opinion from the group, should reserve teams be in their own league or should they be included in leagues with other first teams?

I was looking at a number of clubs reserve teams and there doesn't seem to be any pattern.

CSL have their own closed reserve league. Victoria Highlanders use the PCSL. Ottawa Fury use the Ottawa-Carleton Soccer League's Division 1 ... a step down from the Premier Division. I'm not sure that this speaks to the relative strength of each league ... but is a curious thing.

Think the travel demands usually dictate what will happen on this. Worth noting maybe that the CSL's reserve league currently only involves the core Golden Horeshoe teams (i.e. no London, no Montreal). In recent years London City's B team played in WOSL's second tier (after taking over a club called the Exeter Centennials) so more or less comparable to the Fury's OCSL team in other words. In BC, I think the issue in Victoria would be that the local elite amateur league, the VISL, play a winter season that doesn't coincide with the PDL, hence the use of PCSL, which has a summer season. Richard would probably know more about that than I do, however.

Is there a way to use BC's winter to a soccer advantage?

YES! The issue is no one wants to put up the cash. Youth Leagues in BC are transitioning to a summer league focus with connections to Washington/Oregon. PCSL is now again linked with Washington/Oregon (regional cup). Winter leagues in BC are purely amateur. But need not be.

Archived