Alan Mannus

KidCanada

According to his wikipedia page he is a toronto native, he was once capped tied to Northern Ireland but with the rule change he could be ours. I dont know much about him or his level of play but could he possibly warrent a call as he appears to be number one at his club, Though i figure the level of play in Ireland is around league two level? any thoughts?

I think it's a good point. We called up Onstad and Al-Shaïbani for the last couple games who with all due respect I am not comfortable with between the sticks either based on age or playing time.

Forgot about Mannus after NI capped him. Shamrock Rovers aren't a bad set up and playing regularly is the most important thing for a keeper IMO.

Irish league is terrible, below League 2 level. He is 28 and has never caught on anywhere despite having no passport issues. Had a failed trial with a League 2 side. I would rather they called up one of the USL backup keepers or even a young CSL keeper before this guy.

I think that comparing the starting keeper for Shamrock Rovers with guys from the CSL is ridiculous. I really hope we haven't sunk to the level of calling up amateur players in the Ontario senior league.

From what I hear when Jeff Clarke was at St. Pat's the facilities of the bigger clubs are solid in Ireland and Shamrock Rovers are probably the biggest, their new stadium looks sharp. They are on par for play with any of the smaller leagues in Europe and when we just called up a guy from Lithuania in the last qualifiers it not being good enough doesn't fly with me.

If we had someone playing regularly in the USL, great. If Haidar was playing football, or if Onstad wasn't a few candles away from his freedom 55 I'd say don't bother.

If we need a short term solution I'd love to hear an actual name or two that would be better suited.

Have never been impressed with the "Irish" players who have come over with such pedigrees to play in Canada after immigrating.. not a lot of sophistication ... now it might be different for a keeper but the out players have been in the hard man run fast mode....

I think that comparing the starting keeper for Shamrock Rovers with guys from the CSL is ridiculous. I really hope we haven't sunk to the level of calling up amateur players in the Ontario senior league.

From what I hear when Jeff Clarke was at St. Pat's the facilities of the bigger clubs are solid in Ireland and Shamrock Rovers are probably the biggest, their new stadium looks sharp. They are on par for play with any of the smaller leagues in Europe and when we just called up a guy from Lithuania in the last qualifiers it not being good enough doesn't fly with me.

If we had someone playing regularly in the USL, great. If Haidar was playing football, or if Onstad wasn't a few candles away from his freedom 55 I'd say don't bother.

If we need a short term solution I'd love to hear an actual name or two that would be better suited.

Have never been impressed with the "Irish" players who have come over with such pedigrees to play in Canada after immigrating.. not a lot of sophistication ... now it might be different for a keeper but the out players have been in the hard man run fast mode....

Don't get me wrong I don't think it's a great quality league or anything but we're talking about full time professional football including a couple rounds of UEFA qualifiers every year. It's not in the same ballpark as the CSL - that is basically an amateur provincial league.

The Republic of Ireland have called up guys such as Joe Gamble who were playing in the League of Ireland at the time, saying that it'd be better to call up guys from the effing CSL before a keeper starting in the LOI (and also playing in the Europa League qualifiers) is ridiculous.

The Irish league may indeed be better than the CSL. I doubt it is better than USL. I don't see the point of calling up a 28 year old player from the Irish league especially if we have to go through the trouble of changing his international committment. If he was a starting keeper in the Irish League and 19 years old maybe there would be some merit to calling him up but a career Irish league player no way. The reason I would call a CSL player instead of him is the player would be young and might develop into something.

The Irish league may indeed be better than the CSL. I doubt it is better than USL. I don't see the point of calling up a 28 year old player from the Irish league especially if we have to go through the trouble of changing his international committment. If he was a starting keeper in the Irish League and 19 years old maybe there would be some merit to calling him up but a career Irish league player no way. The reason I would call a CSL player instead of him is the player would be young and might develop into something.

I see your point about investing in someone with potential - IMO if you go that route you call up someone like Stillo who has years of guaranteed professional football ahead of him.

Re: Mannus I think a 28 year old could quite easily be just into his prime by the next world cup at 32. The alternatives during last exhibition games apparently were;

26 year old backup in French 2nd division

or

42 year old MLS keeper who will be 46 at next world cup

I think the original poster raised a good point and a 28 year old starter in the best team in the LOI surely merits consideration amongst that group.

Apples to Oranges between the USL and LOI. Total opinion but I'd say USL/NASL combined is a bit better until Portland, Montreal and Vancouver are gone after which I'd give LOI the edge.

• 5 years later...

O

Found him by accident on soccerway. Then I googled "Alan Mannus Mannus the voyageurs" and I found some hilarious comments about his potential (see previous posts). Since then, he has played in a arguably good league.

I assume you were checking lineups and then realized Dylan Carreiro is not in the squad? That's hilarious. Too bad he has been capped by Northern Ireland.

Archived