Benfica & Panathinaikos coming to BMO Field

kyam

While Manchester United, Juventus, Celtic & Florentias are going to the Skydome this summer...

It looks like Benfica & Panathinaikos will join Bolton and for some friendlies at BMO Field.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/article/810893--portugal-s-benfica-announces-roster-for-toronto-stop-against-panathinaikos

That's 7 major European outfits visiting Toronto in one summer. Not too bad. Only 1 game will involve TFC, which in my eyes is great for soccer fans in Toronto.

Might give TFC an opportunity to cross-promote the MLS Cup Finals and TFC. Maybe even attract some of the Euro-fans that still haven't warmed up to MLS Soccer to increase television ratings.

While I see the novelty in having European teams come over for friendlies, after watching some top class soccer in Europe, I refuse to spend premium prices to watch a scrimmage. The prices they're quoting here for exhibition games are higher than league matches in Europe. No thanks.

While I see the novelty in having European teams come over for friendlies, after watching some top class soccer in Europe, I refuse to spend premium prices to watch a scrimmage. The prices they're quoting here for exhibition games are higher than league matches in Europe. No thanks.

I'm not sure how much of a novelty factor there was for this match as only just over 12k paid their $40 - $45 to see the match.

Archived