Randy Ragan new CTO for OSA

Bill Spiers

Former National Team Player Randy Ragan has been announced as the new Chief Technical Officer of the OSA.

From the OSA web site:

VAUGHAN, ON — The Ontario Soccer Association is pleased to announce that Randy Ragan, B.A., B.Ed., LL.B., will be assuming the role of Chief Technical Officer (Soccer Operations) effective May 1, 2010.

“I am delighted with the appointment,” says Clive Wilkinson, Ontario Soccer Association President. “Mr. Ragan brings a great deal of experience at every level of the game and we are fortunate he has agreed to work with us. Through his leadership on and off the field he brings respect to the sport and the position.”

Randy Ragan attended Simon Fraser University where he played varsity soccer and completed a Bachelor or Arts (Psychology). While at Simon Fraser University, he was a member of the 1976 Canadian Youth Soccer Team that played in the Youth World Cup qualifying round in Puerto Rico and the Canadian World University Games Soccer Team that played in the 1979 World University Games in Mexico City.

He was drafted out of Simon Fraser University by the Toronto Blizzard of the North America Soccer League where he played 117 games from 1980 – 1984, including the North American Soccer Bowl final in 1983 and 1984.

Ragan played 40 times for Canada including four games in the 1984 Summer Olympics and three games in the 1986 World Cup. He served as captain in 1986-87 and was inducted into the Soccer Hall of Fame in 2002 and he is a member of the 1986 Canadian World Cup Team inducted into the Soccer Hall of Fame in 2009. After his playing career, Ragan obtained a Bachelor of Education from the University of Western Ontario and a Bachelor of Laws from Osgoode Hall Law School of York University. He served as Criminal Duty Counsel and Deputy Legal Accounts Officer for Legal Aid Ontario and Acting Director (Research Support Services) and Contracts Manager in the Office of Associate Vice-President (Research) at the University of Guelph.

“Randy Ragan brings to the Ontario Soccer Association the respect and admiration of the entire Canadian soccer community,” says Jason deVos, soccer commentator for the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation and former professional and also a captain for Team Canada from 1999 to 2004. “Having represented Canada at the 1986 World Cup, he has achieved the dream to which all players aspire – to represent one’s country at the highest level. Randy’s legal and administrative background will prove to be a valuable asset to the Ontario Soccer Association as it works to strengthen its ties with the soccer community. His technical knowledge and understanding of what is required to succeed at the highest level of the game will provide valuable leadership to the Association as it continually looks for ways to improve the technical aspects of player, coach and referee development. I am confident that the entire Canadian soccer community will join me in supporting Randy Ragan as the Chief Technical Officer of the Ontario Soccer Association.”

A Provincial B Licence coach, Ragan was an assistant coach with the University of Guelph Men’s Soccer Team and Head Coach of the University of Guelph Women’s Soccer Team since the start of the 2008 season.

As Chief Technical Officer, Mr. Ragan will be responsible for providing leadership and strategic direction to support the technical growth of soccer from the grassroots to high performance, to increase participation and improve the quality of soccer in Ontario by overseeing the management and development of technical programs pertaining to player, coach and referee development, league development, futsal and indoor soccer.

“The Ontario Soccer Association is most fortunate to have obtained the services of Randy Ragan to coincide with the launch of the Wellness to World Cup and Long Term Player Development strategies,” says Ontario Soccer Association CEO, Guy Bradbury. “Mr. Ragan’s depth of experience at all levels and in all capacities of the game together with his professional credentials will serve the soccer community well as this important initiative is rolled out across Ontario and Canada in the coming months and years.”

“I am thrilled to join the Ontario Soccer Association and look forward to working with the Ontario soccer community in creating an environment in which all participants will have the opportunity to reach their full potential and achieve their goals,” says Ragan.

Former National Team Player Randy Ragan has been announced as the new Chief Technical Officer of the OSA.

From the OSA web site:

VAUGHAN, ON — The Ontario Soccer Association is pleased to announce that Randy Ragan, B.A., B.Ed., LL.B., will be assuming the role of Chief Technical Officer (Soccer Operations) effective May 1, 2010.

“I am delighted with the appointment,” says Clive Wilkinson, Ontario Soccer Association President. “Mr. Ragan brings a great deal of experience at every level of the game and we are fortunate he has agreed to work with us. Through his leadership on and off the field he brings respect to the sport and the position.”

The educational background as well as his work experience and player experience certainly is commendable, now the issue will be as CTO if he focuses where he should which is on coach development and supports the concept of clubs are responsible for player development from recreational youth to competitive senior player, with the OSA rapidly stepping back from running youth teams under the OSA banner.

I like this appointment and commend the OSA for landing him. It took about 9 months and I heard over 30 applications to get it done. I am excited to see how Randy does in his job and even more so how he views futsal as part of the player development strategy.

I met Randy this weekend when he attended the Milltown FC launch.

Very nice man who seems very keen to listen to the many voices and many opinions out there. His challenge, like anyone in that role, will be almost exclusively political in nature. I'm confident that he's got the smarts needed...I'm also hoping he has the vision and the "stones" needed o steer Ontario soccer in a better direction from the technical standpoint.

I met Randy this weekend when he attended the Milltown FC launch.

Very nice man who seems very keen to listen to the many voices and many opinions out there. His challenge, like anyone in that role, will be almost exclusively political in nature. I'm confident that he's got the smarts needed...I'm also hoping he has the vision and the "stones" needed o steer Ontario soccer in a better direction from the technical standpoint.

That .... Milltown Coaching staff will be looking for players who can play with both feet, versus the Jimmy one-foot's concepts ?

Archived