Canucks in Germany - February 2010 Edition

Guest Ed

Here we go. Not much footy action but there is some news today.

Adam Straith - Energie Cottbus

Adam Straith is one of five young Bundesliga 2 players profiled by SPOX.com as players to keep a look out for in the back round. The profile talks about Adam's emergence from the reserve team and how well he has done defensively in his 10 starts, without hardly ever taking fouls.

Energie Cottbus has put the call out to their supporters to get down to the stadium and help clear off snow over the next few evenings so as to not jeopardize Saturday afternoon's match against TuS Koblenz.

Jonathan Bealieu-Bourgault - FC St Pauli

A nice article in Hamburg's evening paper - Hamburger Abendblatt - today. Link here:

http://www.abendblatt.de/sport/fussball/st-pauli/article1365534/Jonathan-Bourgault-Gereift-wie-ein-guter-Wein.html

Rough translation:

His name is reminescent of a fine wine. Beaulieu Bourgault sounds like Beaujolais or Bordeaux. And both - good wine and

Jonathan Beaulieu Bourgault - improve with time.

Jonathan Bourgault - Number 5 in the FC St. Pauli squad

In the summer 2006, the 17 year old Canadian came to FC St. Pauli, one more youth player billetted in Schnelsen and counted on as a hopeful talent. Yet his development faltered. He was loaned out in 2008 for twelve months into the regional league in order to get playing time with SV Wilhelmshaven, playing time he had not seen with St. Pauli neither in the regional league nor in the Bundesliga 2. Just 351 minutes in two years was too little. When he returned to the club to start this season, he knew this was his last chance. And it seemed that chance would be quickly lost. "I had a knee injury while in Wilhelmshaven and could not train properly in the first six weeks of training", recalls the 21 year old today. It looked like a dead end for him at St. Paul. He was told the club would not stand in his way if he could find another opportunity.

With that in mind, go back to Friday night at Millentor, and understand why coach Holger Stanislawski had his hands in the air in the 87th minute of the game against Duisburg. Bourgualt had just missed making it 3-0 with barely 3 minutes left in the game, the keeper coming up huge. The first pro goal would have been the pinnacle of his young career. "That would have been the first time that I, as a coach, ran onto the field to celebrate with the scorer", says Stanislawski. Unlike Louis van Gaal, who with Bayern has to flee the scorer, the coach would have been doing the chasing. "I would have done it for him".

With stoic calm, the blond haired Bourgualt explains how he managed his way back into the team. "Of course it's hard when you do not play, if your name isn't on the team list But it is important that you always remain positive. I always believed in myself. Training is fun and soccer is fun ", says the slight Franco-Canadian, who spent extra sessions in the weight room. Now the work pays off. In spite of the increased competition once again this winter, he was won himself a place with the team. In all three Winter season matches, he was on the bench, and he has made two sub appearances.

The young talent has improved just in time, as his contract is up for renewal. "He has developed very well and is outstanding in training", praises Stanislawski, "and we here continuously want to work".

Bourgault wants to make a case for himself for a contract extension. Ideally he wants to go into the national league. "Who wouldn't want to stay with such a club and see the Bundesliga 1 at the same time The fans, the Millerntor, the flair. To be here is something very special", says "Jonno". "One must give a boy time to grow and to ripen", knows Stanislawski. Bourgault could become 'a good year'. (lwö)

Similar article in the Morning Post.

Much the same but a nice bit where JBB says his call up to the national team served as a big inspiration to him.

And a nice pic:

bourgault__HA_Sport_324716c.jpg

If FC St Pauli do manage to promote this season (and it looks very possible) it will be a very special May. May 9th is the end of the Bundesliga 2 campaign. May 15th is the 100th anniversary of the club. Fireworks anyone??

Massih Wassey - FC Schalke 04

Massih Wassey really enjoyed his experience with our men's team and is looking forward to more call-ups.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matches involving Canucks this weekend:

Friday

Bundesliga 2

FC St Pauli (13W-3D-4L - 42 pts - 2ND) vs SC Karlsruhe (7W-3D-9L - 24 pts - 12TH)

Expect Jonathan Beaulieu Bourgault to be on the bench as FC St Pauli look to keep the heat on FC Kaiserslautern, who they trail by a single point.

Saturday

Bundesliga 1

FC Koeln (6W-6D-8L - 24 pts - 13TH) vs Hamburger SV (9W-8D-3L - 35 pts - 5TH)

Kevin McKenna likely on the bench for this one. Koeln missing Maniche due to a death in the family.

Bundesliga 2

FC Energie Cottbus (6W-5D-9L - 23 pts - 13TH) vs TuS Koblenz (4W-4D-12L - 16 pts - 16TH)

Kicker has Adam Straith on the bench as Cottbus attempt to stop their 3 game losing streak. If they do beat Koblenz, it would be a big help to FSV Frankfurt (in 17TH - on goal diff).

Sunday

Bundesliga 1

FSV Mainz 05 (7W-6D-7L - 28 pts - 8TH) vs Borussia Moenchengladbach (7W-4D-9L - 25 pts - 12TH)

Rob Friend likely to come on from the bench as 'Gladbach were in great form last week with Colautti and Bobadilla up front.

Bundesliga 2

FSV Frankfurt (4W-4D-12L - 16 pts - 17TH) vs Alemannia Aachen (7W-5D-8L - 26 pts - 11THn)

Nik Ledgerwood on the bench for this one as the manager will likely keep the winning lineup from last week. Desperate for a win to get them out of relegation.

As expected, Jonathan Beaulieu Bourgault on the bench today as FC St Pauli host SC Karlsruhe - 0-0 with 20 some minutes gone.

Make that 1-0 for the hosts, 24 minutes in.

Lots of action. Karlsruhe tie it up but St Pauli add another just before the half. 2-1 at the break.

Kevin McKenna stays on the bench as FC Koeln earn a valued point in a 3-3 goal-fest vs Hamburg.

Cottbus' coach shakes things up to try to end their losing streak and Adam Straith stays on the bench as Cottbus only manage a 1-1 draw at home vs Koblenz.

Nik Ledgerwood on the bench today as FSV Frankfurt manage a 1-1 draw at home vs Alemannia Aachen. Frankfurt still remain in relegation, just behind Koblenz on goal difference.

The only remaining club in Germany's DFB Pokal (German FA Cup) with Canuck presence, FC Koeln, are away to 2nd division side FC Augsburg on Wednesday in the last 8 / quarter finals.

Also, not totally confirmed yet, but Graham Fisher, widely reported back in Dec 09 to be heading to Schalke's U19s, has in fact been loaned out to Rot-Weiss Erfurt U19's. Both clubs U19's are in the top tier (very good level) A-Junioren Bundesliga league. The huge squad size and Fisher being one of the youngest players were factors in the loan move.

Kevin McKenna on for the last 25 minutes but can't help with the 2 goal deficit and FC Koeln disappoint in the DFB Pokal, dropping out 2-0 to FC Augsburg of the Bundesliga 2. Semis will feature FC Augsburg, Bayern, Bremen and the winner of FC Schalke vs VfL Osnabruecken.

Been very busy today so just now had a chance to look at the game report. FC Koeln had a player sent off 30 minutes in - straight red, Podolski off for a 2nd yellow 69 minutes in -- lots of discipline there, he saw 9 FULL MINUTES on the field, and Maniche for a 2nd yellow in the 85th minute.

Friday's Games

Bundesliga 1

Borussia Moenchengladbach (7W-4D-10L - 25 pts -13th ) look to shake off the frustration from last week's 1-0 loss where they had tons of chances against Mainz as they host 'the Club' FC Nurnberg (4W-4D-13L- 16 pts - 17th). Coach Frontzeck is sticking with Colautti and Bobadilla as his strikers, Rob Friend first choice off the bench. Stalteri still out.

Bundesliga 2

FSV Frankfurt (4W-5D-12L -17 pts - 17th) travel to take on FC St Pauli (14W-3D-4L - 45 pts - 2nd). Potential Cdn derby but both Nik Ledgerwood and Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault expected to be on the bench for their clubs. Do you pull for the potential promotion team in St Pauli or cheer for the Frankfurt side to avoid relegation?

Saturday

Bundesliga 1

FC Koeln (6W-7D-8L - 25 pts - 11th) face a stern test, away to FC Schalke 04 (12W-6D-3L - 42 pts - 3rd), with Kevin McKenna as a sub.

Bundesliga 2

Energie Cottbus (6W-6D-9L - 24 pts - 12th) are away to Karlsruher SC (7W-3D-10L - 24 pts - 13th) with Adam Straith expected back in the lineup. A real 6 pointer as Karlsruher have a game in hand (postponed against 1860).

The lower leagues and also the A-Junioren Bundesliga are finally back in action this weekend but there will be a good number of cancellations due to snow. Expect updates on the younger players this weekend.

Nik Ledgerwood on in the 62nd minute for FSV Frankfurt, holding out 0-0 away to FC St Pauli. JBB is not on the bench today for FC St Pauli, so expect him to play Sunday for the reserves (one of only two matches in the Regional League Nord not postponed due to snow).

And FSV Frankfurt hang on for the valuable point, despite being outshot by a wide margin by FC St Pauli, who were looking to regain the league lead.

Rob Friend still on the bench, about 30 minutes to go in 'Gladbach. Coulatti opened the scoring in the 1st, but Nurnberg came back with a tying goal early in the 2nd half. Expect Friend on soon.

Friend and Matmour replace the striking duo with 17 minutes to go AND FRIEND SCORES, 1 minute later, 2-1 Gladbach!!

Just the 3rd goal of the season for Friend, but 2nd game winner. A big win at home to keep them safely mid-table.

so Friend is playing well, just not scoring? cause it's hard to tell from stats, but it seems like he's playing more and better this year despite the poor stat line, has a tallied up a few assists?

I would not say that at all. He missed a lot of the first half of the season coming back from achilles surgery. Then he had that achilles area opened up in the winter break training, and had to miss a couple of more weeks. He's only had 7 games in which he put enough minutes in to get a rating, out of 16 games played - was a (usually late) 2nd half sub in 9 games.

hmmm, I looked at soccernet and it had him starting like 23 games last year so I must be pretty confused, I was under the impression that he was in the rotation last year and now with him seeming to be first choice off the bench, I thought he made a small step up.

hmmm, I looked at soccernet and it had him starting like 23 games last year so I must be pretty confused, I was under the impression that he was in the rotation last year and now with him seeming to be first choice off the bench, I thought he made a small step up.

I was only addressing you saying he was not scoring this season, not the comparison to last season. Sorry for the confusion.

The replay just finished on GolTV. I flipped over to it a few minutes before Friend came on and caught the goal. It took him all of 15 seconds - literally - to score. It was a deflected cross from the right wing and Matmour challenged the keeper for the 50/50 pop up, looks like the keeper punched it or it hit Matmour in the back or back of the head and ended up falling to Friend who karate kicked it on the volley into the open net.

The whole team didn't fare very well last season. Rob Friend led the team in scoring. I wouldn't say his play has improved, just the team got a bit better and hopefully he will continue to get some action and results.

On this one, it was an error from the keeper, but Friend was at the right place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0KbB2vL5l4&feature=player_embedded

It is not a keeper error, there is contact with the keeper by Friend's striker partner Matmour as he goes for the ball which the German announcers think should have been called as a foul and I have to say I agree. Luckily for Friend and BMG the ref doesn't call it so it bounces to Friend who has an open net but is nevertheless pretty alert to strike a pretty difficult ball.

Archived