Copa Libertadores

Juby

this thread is about a decade too early but recently while playing fm2007 I noticed that a winning superliga team would move on to the copa sudamericano and I think it's setup so the winner their moves on to the copa libertadores. I'm pretty sure that it cannot be done like this under the current format but it got me thinking about how could we (in ten yearsish) get into the copa libertadores?

It's honestly the second best club competition in the world (I never really thought anything of the club world cup, 6 teams and 5 games (6 games if you count the third placed game) is more of a crapshoot then a balanced competition) and IMO the copa libertadores is more prestigious then winning concacaf champions league.

Here's my best idea, convince the mexicans to award an interliga spot to the superliga champions (whether they be mexican, american or (figers crossed) canadian of course barring being in the Concacaf champions league (it's funny, a loser in the voyageurs cup could compete in the copa libertadores) which disqualifies north american copa libertadores entrants.

besides this, is their any way we can sneak in even if it took like 2 consecutive years of being the best team in MLS but not the best team in the voyageurs cup?

this thread is about a decade too early but recently while playing fm2007 I noticed that a winning superliga team would move on to the copa sudamericano and I think it's setup so the winner their moves on to the copa libertadores. I'm pretty sure that it cannot be done like this under the current format but it got me thinking about how could we (in ten yearsish) get into the copa libertadores?

It's honestly the second best club competition in the world (I never really thought anything of the club world cup, 6 teams and 5 games (6 games if you count the third placed game) is more of a crapshoot then a balanced competition) and IMO the copa libertadores is more prestigious then winning concacaf champions league.

Here's my best idea, convince the mexicans to award an interliga spot to the superliga champions (whether they be mexican, american or (figers crossed) canadian of course barring being in the Concacaf champions league (it's funny, a loser in the voyageurs cup could compete in the copa libertadores) which disqualifies north american copa libertadores entrants.

besides this, is their any way we can sneak in even if it took like 2 consecutive years of being the best team in MLS but not the best team in the voyageurs cup?

CONCACAF is no longer invited to Copa Sudamericano.

hmmm, Do the mexicans still have their spots in copa libertadores? If they do the best thing I can think of is if we could win superliga in a few years, we have to act like it's second greatest award next to the stanley cup in the history of man. If it was a good enough spectacle one of them might get the bright idea to invest a little more into the stakes (invite to interliga?).

but yeah, I'm pretty much just dreaming, I'm pretty sure your right, there's no existing way in *sigh*

There have been rumours of this in the past few years. 2 years ago, David Faitelson of Futbol Picante on ESPN Deportes reported that MLS had reached a deal to send one MLS team to the Libertadores when the current Interliga contract with SUM expired. MLS had even registered the domain name ligalibertadores.com which was assumed to be for a qualification tournament comprised of MLS teams. I haven't heard or read anything since then tho. If you search around the net you'll see different reports that CONMEBOL is at least interested. It's not as ridiculous as it might seem because the libertadores is not a cash cow like the Champions League. They have no qualms about following the money. Just look how they bowed down to Mexico and gave them 5 spots in this year's libertadores after the H1Ni fiasco. CONMEBOL desperately needs Mexico's money and if they think there's money to be made in expanding the tournament to the United States then they will do so.

Archived