Retractable Roof will be cancelled due to deficit

spiral

I think the complexity and technical risk of removing the inflatable roof and replacing it with a suspended, retractable system is far higher than the budget risk of the Gordon Campbell Party cancelling the project outright. Major structural issues are involved and the engineering problems are non-trvial but the place must be upgraded for the Olympics and to be usable for the next 25 years. The alternative is to demolish it and I doubt that is going to happen.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ I would agree, that's not where I would go looking for property in Vancouver either. I suspect the sellers are speculators who have been caught short and are desperate. Also, homes at $1 million+ anywhere in Vancouver are going to be a hard sell... the number of potential buyers shrinks exponentially as the asking price rises.

The property market in Greater Vancouver has improved markedly in the past months but speculators who buy hoping to flip quickly for big profits are going to struggle. Two of my children have been in the condo property market in Vancouver for some months, one finally bought last month. Good prospects are selling quickly.

We'd been looking in Tsawwassen for the last 6 months, when NOTHING was moving. Now, everything's gone as families look for housing in time for school. The Lower Mainland has been unreasonably priced for quite a while, and the market is flooded with entry level condos.

As for the Stadium...I'm hoping that the whole thing was once again a "Tempest in a Teacup" like I had originally suspected.

Busy August for Metro Vancouver real estate sales

VANCOUVER — Metro Vancouver realtors, largely idle a year ago, were frantically busy this August as they racked up sales more comparable with the market's boom period between 2003 and 2007, the region's real estate board reported Wednesday.

Board realtors recorded 3,441 sales through the Multiple Listing service, a 120-per-cent increase compared with last year's August's sales slowdown when the region saw 1,568 sales.

Prices in Metro Vancouver also continued edging up with the benchmark price (the average price of the typical property sold) for detached homes hitting $732,656 in August.

That price, however, remained 0.7 per cent below last year's benchmark price for detached homes.

“The number of residential home sales this summer has been comparable to activity seen in the five years preceding 2008," board president Scott Russell said in a news release. "While that's great news, from the variations in activity we're seeking across areas I'd say the market is still trying to find its own balance."

© Copyright © The Vancouver Sun

Archived