Retractable Roof will be cancelled due to deficit

spiral

I believe the Retractable Roof will be cancelled. $ 350 million in cutbacks to health care, but they justify $ 350 million for a new Roof?

Doesn't make sense.

At first I was excited about a Retractable Roof.

Now with the economy, people losing their jobs, increasing deficit (they're talking about $ 3 billion), I say the new Roof now doesn't make sense.

There are ways to patch up the Roof and strengthen it for another few years.

I don't believe the Lease agreement the Caps signed is contingent on a new Roof.

The news said the awarding of the Roof to the winning bidder would be delayed till September.

I see the Premier making a Friday announcement right before Labour Day that the Roof is cancelled due to a looming deficit.

They're talking about a deficit of $ 3 billion.

Seniors are suffering right now. They're closing down hospital beds and cancelling surgeries.

This is not the time to waste money.

I say Kerfoot wiggle out of the Lease and get going on that Stadium at the waterfront.

And the BC Lions are an embarrassment. They playing like asses last night is not helping justify a new Roof either.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been thinking this as well. I live in Victoria and I'm really seeing it. From what I understand while the ministries aren't laying off people yet, all the people on temporary contracts and on probation are being let go. I know a bunch of girls that are all not being renewed.

Look no further than what happened at Tourism BC. Fired the entire Board of Directors.

But I still don't have a handle on a key question.

If the Roof is postponed indefinitely / cancelled, do the Caps pull out of the Lease?

The ramifications of a Roof cancellation would be huge for supporters of the Waterfront Stadium.

So I think the Waterfront dream is very much alive at this minute

This all just speculation based on no real facts...but what else is new from Spiral?

We'll find out more on the roof next month as the tendering process progresses...as we were told, the roof's financing was based mainly on the sale & development of PavCo lands surrounding the stadium and not general tax revenue. The City of Vancouver has already started the planning process for these lands. The project also has approved credit.

Also, today's Province suggests that the B.C. Lions will still be able to play in B.C. Place during roof construction next season, but only the lower bowl will be open for fans. There's also the fact that the current roof is now beyond its projected lifespan and needs to replaced one way or another.

All that being said, it is a government project...and government projects can be awarded and scrapped with the scribble of a pen. But there's nothing to suggest right now that this project won't go ahead except Spiral's typical fearmongering.

The land around BC Place if sold in today's current real estate market could not possibly fetch more than about $ 50 million.

That's about 15 % the cost of the project. The taxpayers will foot the rest of the bill.

The project is doomed. The reason: the economy

Stop looking at the world through rose coloured glasses

From jlousa at SSP:

Yesterday, 10:50 AM

jlousa

Ferris Wheel Hater Join Date: Jun 2006

User has been banned and posts deleted, the next person that quotes him from another forums will receive a suspension for baiting him back. I'm not kidding.

So Hurricane Bill, are you a ferris wheel hater like jlousa is?

Thanks, ask Bob if the MLS franchise is contingent on the roof going ahead or not.

This is a critical point as if the lease is open ended, the Caps can pull out and get going on the Waterfront Stadium which they should be putting their efforts into now

Mods, is there a reason why Spiral hasn't been banned yet? This guy has been banned on numerous boards for the same antics he displays here, yet on this board he's allowed to continue to stir up crap. Please, for the love of god someone ban his ass.

Mods, is there a reason why Spiral hasn't been banned yet? This guy has been banned on numerous boards for the same antics he displays here, yet on this board he's allowed to continue to stir up crap. Please, for the love of god someone ban his ass.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

If I were allowed to, I would point out that you are in violation of forum rule 1.11 with regard to back seat moderation. Which I cannot, due to a possible violation of said rule. [:P]

Guest Jeffery S.

Did anyone hear one of the CBC hockey guys interview on Team 1040 last week, saying the Waterfront Stadium in Vancouver would have been a great setting for the Winter Classic? It was odd considering he said just before that BMO would be too small to make it profitable, and since they needed an outdoor setting the only acceptable spot in Canada was Edmonton.

Just interesting on the level of perception, that the location of the stadium over the tracks was particularly attractive for TV-minded folk.

I think, BTW, it is fair to ask Lenarduzzi about the stadium, Duane, since the cutbacks in BC have indeed created a climate of uncertainty about a lot of things. So looking forward to it.

You want reputable sources? You got them now:

Video here:

http://www.globaltvbc.com/video/index.html

New B.C. Place roof could be delayed

By Ian Austin and Katie Mercer, The Province

August 25, 2009 7:08 PM

B.C.’s budget-deficit problems may delay one of the province’s most high-profile projects — the re-roofing of B.C. Place Stadium.

The Teflon roof of the Vancouver landmark — home of the B.C. Lions and supposedly down the line the new, transformed, high-tech home of the spanking-new Vancouver Whitecaps Major League Soccer franchise — famously ripped and collapsed in January 2007.

The B.C. Liberals promised a retractable roof as part of a $365-million upgrade — an upgrade that Tourism Minister Kevin Krueger admitted Tuesday is behind schedule.

“I think it will have been delayed because they had to analyze those bids,” Krueger told Global News. “Not substantially delayed. The bidders have agreed to hold their bids in place.”

The promise of an open-air stadium played a strong part in the Vancouver Whitecaps’ bid to land a new franchise in Major League Soccer, the premier league in North America.

Whitecaps president Bob Lenarduzzi told The Province that he’s still hoping for the best.

“We’ve spoken with our contacts and no one has suggested anything other than what was suggested on the outset and that’s we would have a roof come 2011,” said Lenarduzzi.

B.C. Place — with its aging Teflon roof — will host the opening and closing ceremonies for the 2010 Winter Olympics.

B.C. Place roof replacement may be cancelled: report

By Canwest News Service, Global BC

August 25, 2009 10:12 PM

VANCOUVER — The provincial government’s plan to fund a $365-million roof for BC Place Stadium has stalled and may even be cancelled, Global BC is reporting.

Construction on the downtown Vancouver stadium was expected to start soon after it serves as host for the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2010 Winter Olympics, and was part of a larger overhaul of the facility that was expected to be finished by the summer of 2011.

But a source told Global News on Tuesday that the roof replacement may no longer be a key government priority and it may be forced to pull its funding in the current economic climate. It means the project could face some serious delays or be cancelled altogether, the report said.

The provincial government unveiled plans in May 2008 to replace the fabric cover on the 26-year-old BC Place Stadium with a retractable roof.

Officials began looking at replacing the air-supported roof after a January 2007 storm caused it to collapse like an imploding souffle into the 60,000-seat facility, flooding the field and damaging seats and luxury boxes. It took crews about two weeks to re-inflate the fabric.

“We could do it at a time post-2010 when we think that the budgets will be better,” Premier Gordon Campbell said in May 2008. "We wanted, actually, to take the time to both do it right, to get the best value, have the most competitive bidding process.”

On Tuesday, while the B.C. government wasn’t willing to go as far to say the project is dead, it did concede that there are issues surrounding the bidding process.

“I think (the project) will have been delayed because . . . the bidders have agreed to hold their bids in place longer than anticipated,” B.C. Tourism Minister Kevin Krueger told reporters in Victoria.

Delays to the upgrade could also jeopardize the city’s hope of landing a Major League Soccer franchise. The Vancouver Whitecaps was awarded the league’s second Canadian franchise in March based on a bid that included a refurbished stadium.

“That won’t be a great scenario for us,” Whitecaps president Bob Lenarduzzi said of the possible delays or cancellations. “The fact that it was going to be an open-air stadium was something that was very appealing to the MLS.”

The world-class retractable roof, to be modelled on a design now used in Frankfurt, Germany, is part of an ambitious redevelopment scheme for BC Place and the north shore of False Creek. It was also scheduled undergo a major facelift, starting with renovated corporate suites and improved seating, disabled access, washrooms and concession stands.

The stadium is primarily used for the B.C. Lions football team, as well as for concerts and trade conventions. The football team was not willing to comment on the issue on Tuesday.

PavCo, the provincial Crown corporation that operates the stadium, also did not comment, only saying it is in the final stages of the bidding process.

Global BC

© Copyright © Canwest News Service

First off, it's all "could be", "may be"...there's no facts and nobody knows a thing until the budget comes down. What we do know is that either the roof gets renovated soon, or BC Place gets torn down (As the roof is already beyond it's life cycle). I'm guessing that second one is unlikely to happen. The only people sweating here are Spiral and a few reporters.

As for the Waterfront Stadium...the plans still depend on everything they did before...and they're all still in play.

Archived