Michael Nonni to UCSB

Gaucho

Does anyone know anything about this kid? UCSB announced today that he committed to play at Santa Barbara.

Excerpt:

Michael Nonni comes to Santa Barbara from West Vancouver, British Columbia. The 5'10" forward played at the Canadian National Team Training Centre and spent four years with the Vancouver Selects. He won a National Championship - and earned all-tournament team honors - while playing with the Selects in addition to winning a Provincial Championship and three Coastal Cup Championships.

"Michael has a style of play that most resembles Pontius'. He can carry the ball, hold off defenders and is very good around the box. We are obviously hoping he is able to contribute goals right away for us," Vom Steeg said.

http://ucsbgauchos.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/071509aab.html

Unfortunately, Reid Fraser's name is not on this coming year's preliminary roster. I heard he had issues with his knee.

In addition to Friend and Rosenlund, we also had Canadians Myles Davis and Andrew Proctor (they were in same recruiting class as Rosenlund). But, yeah, we appear to have a recruiting pipeline to our neighbor to the north :)

I have been reading some other threads in this sub-forum, and I wonder if some of the better Canadians that would have gone to the US to play college might stay home and play at Simon Frasier now that theu intend to join the NCAA. That would keep some talent up there, but for selfish reasons, I'd like to continue getting some Canadian players. Rosenlund and Friend worked out really well for us. It looks like Nonni has some potential as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just a quick update. Nonni missed a couple matches during the season but is back. I believe he is still second on the team in points and the Gauchos have advanced to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA's after beating Wofford at home 1-0 and at Univ. of San Diego 1-0. We go to UCLA this Sunday.

Archived