Trip to Torreon

Okay .. after Montreal who is going to Torreon ?

I fly out from Syracuse on the 26th to Houston then will take bus overnite then crossing near Laredo Texas going down to Monterrey, hanging in the old central district for few days sight seeing, then to Torreon one day before the game.

Total return cost for transport $206.00 USD.

Flying from Montreal to Torreon via Houston. I'll be there for a week sightseeing in Zacatecas most probably and back in Torreon the day before the game. Then on to Mexican League games in Monterrey and Torreon before flying back on the Monday.

quote:Originally posted by Mpenza

Flying from Montreal to Torreon via Houston. I'll be there for a week sightseeing in Zacatecas most probably and back in Torreon the day before the game. Then on to Mexican League games in Monterrey and Torreon before flying back on the Monday.

March 5, game day .... meet up at noon for lunch before the nights game... suggested restaurant:

Pampas Do Brazil in Torreon ..

Pampas Do Brazil is an excellent restaurant, specializing in Brazilian cuisine. This highly recommended restaurant prides itself on both the quality of the delicious food and the amazing service. It features more than 20 different cuts of beef all marinated in an incredible blend of Brazilian spices, the service is impeccable and the atmosphere is vibrant, fun and relaxed. Just remember, at Pampas Do Brazil until you say "stop" the delicious steaks are going to keep coming and coming!

Trillium I got your e-mail and will write you soon. However, the trip to Torreon is a Ultras Montreal trip and not a Voyageurs trip so you should post any proposed meeting places on the UM website not here. It is not very productive to have people talking about the same trip on two threads on separate forums.

I doubt we will be setting any meeting places until we know for sure who and how many are coming, when they are arriving and where everyone is staying.

• 4 weeks later...

Drove accross the Desert today .. from Monterrey to Torreon.. after watching a game in Monterrey yesterday.. ( and getting hassled by Security )... Torreon is a small city, its cool out tonight the terraces have people on them in jacquets ..etc. This cold front seems to have arrived just in time to ensure the Impact feel at home.

( The city does not seem to offer a lot .. )it seems heavily guarded with Miltary on the streets standing in sand bagged enclosures, lots of automatic weapons at the ready.

The Montreal Ultras will be landing soon .. so we shall see how they do on the local tequilla...

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

Drove accross the Desert today .. from Monterrey to Torreon.. after watching a game in Monterrey yesterday.. ( and getting hassled by Security )... Torreon is a small city, its cool out tonight the terraces have people on them in jacquets ..etc. This cold front seems to have arrived just in time to ensure the Impact feel at home.

( The city does not seem to offer a lot .. )it seems heavily guarded with Miltary on the streets standing in sand bagged enclosures, lots of automatic weapons at the ready.

The Montreal Ultras will be landing soon .. so we shall see how they do on the local tequilla...

How many Ultras are we talking about?

24 homicides in 10 days in February in Torreon. 250 in the past month in Ciudad Juarez where the women's tournament was last year.

A few months ago: "Federal police opened fire on municipal cops in the northern city of Torreón early Monday, killing at least one and arresting about 30, said the city’s mayor."

The whole border region has become very dangerous. Use caution and common sense, and those traveling to Torreon will be fine. Obviously, Ciudad Juarez should be avoided at all costs. On my last drive down here to Merida, I just stuck to the east coast route and everything was fine. Felt very safe. I would not travel in the northern region, just a quick early weekday morning border crossing through Matamoros, and that was it. I have written several articles about the situation here in Mexico on my blog www.agringoinmexico.com for those interested. Anyways, good luck guys, and Go Impact. Even the expat TFC fans are supporting you. LOL..

quote:Originally posted by Vic

24 homicides in 10 days in February in Torreon. 250 in the past month in Ciudad Juarez where the women's tournament was last year.

A few months ago: "Federal police opened fire on municipal cops in the northern city of Torreón early Monday, killing at least one and arresting about 30, said the city’s mayor."

What is happening in Vancouver with the gang wars ? Seriously the police presence is large, but it always is in Central and South America, and Mexico reflects this in North America.

I do not feel any personal safety issues here as of yet, going to the stadium may be different.... but we shall see, beer is served very cold so civil society has not broken down.

Four Ultras came in and there will be some expat Montrealers at the game.

The Department of Foreign Affairs on Friday updated its travel report on Mexico in light of the bloody drug cartel wars that have thrown some cities into chaos.

It recommends Canadians "exercise a high degree of caution" when travelling to areas in northern Mexico along the border with the United States.

http://www.canoe.ca/Travel/News/2009/02/27/8562756-cp.html

The U.S. State Department has gone further than Canada, issuing a travel alert. It has told diplomatic staff to curtail all non-essential travel to Durango and other hotspots.

Archived