Biello & Leduc inked, Ribeiro won't return

The Impact announced today that Biello has inked a one year extension for the 09 season while Leduc has signed on for two more seasons.

The news that cought my eye though was the Impact letting go of Antonio Ribeiro. Always a fan favourite I think Ribeiro is a casuality of being part of a team with too much depth. If he stays healthy this man will be an asset for any team in the USL.

The full article from RDS: http://www.rds.ca/impact/chroniques/266420.html

It's sad to see Antonio go.... I will always remember how happy and hyped he looked when he jumped in the stands after scoring the winning goal against Vancouver in the first leg of the semi-finals in early October of this year, he jumped into section 113 all the while pointing at us in 114 (since he could not jump into 114 because of that stupid net in front of our section:()

Thanks Antonio!!

At least with the USL counting Canadians as domestics he shouldn't have too much trouble signing with another team. As mtl-supporter mentions, we just had too much depth and probably too many guys who are better than him to keep him around. Yet I think he can be a solid player in the league and if he gets regular playing time somewhere may come into his own (being released might actually be a good move for him). Most likely he will sign with one of our rivals, either Vancouver (to stay in Canada) or Rochester (to stay close to home). Hope this doesn't come back to haunt us. He would be a good pickup for one of the new teams as well. He was certainly one of the Ultras favourite players even if he didn't play that much in recent seasons.

Biello and Leduc staying on with the Impact with extended contracts is great news. As a soccer fan of Montreal I think that it is terrific the way in that the club takes care of its own...keeping on older players that have a positive influence in the clubhouse and with community events. Today Gabriel Gervais has announced his retirement from professional soccer, but he will stay on with the Impact, "The Montreal Impact has confirmed that he will remain present within the organization, notably involved in community-related projects. " De Santos, Limniatis, Biello, Leduc and Gervais all represent an extremely strong club culture in Montreal that is often overlooked in professional sports. There is a great contiunity and sense of history that these great players all represent and it can only help to indoctrinate new players into the winning tradition of the club and team.

Archived