Price of Playing at Home

canadianfoot

The other day I ran into a roughly 1year old article in which a CSA official stated that playing a game at home could ruin the CSA. I belive he had in mind the Women's National Team right before the Beijing Olympics and the lack of preparation they ran into. But it got me thinking "What is the Price of Playing at Home?"

I realize it's impossible to pinpoint and exact figure. Due to many factors. Venue, Opponent, time of the year, etc. But if one takes let say Commonwealth Stadium.

- Does the CSA get the rent for "free"

- Do they keep or share gate/concession revenues with the Stadium Owner

- Do we pay or get paid for playing an opponent. Obviously being 81st in FIFA's Ranking doesn't help.

- When was the last time Canada played a sparing(firendly) game vs. a "Canadian" team? Obviously without a league kind of hard but did they ever "warmup" againt Caps, Impact or maybe a CSL opponent?

I remember when before the 2006 World Cup in Germany. Costa Rica approached Polish FA and said we will play a friendly with you but you have to pay us 200,000.00Euros....Poland refused to pay they played someone else.

If one think that we desperately need a new coach, new system, new FA. One wonders when will we see more home games played vs. worthy opponents. I think Canada could play at par at least with a few countries in the 40-80th spot on the list. Many of them would be crowd pleasers and would not ruin the CSA....(actually to hell with them, hopefully someone better comes along).

Has Mitchell ever scouted at the Impact, Caps or TFC games? Or did he usually just watch them on TV?

In the 40-80th spot are quite a few South American worthy opponents, as well a many European ones. Scandinavian countries might be imnteresting as well as Eastern Europe. As long as the CSA organises the games in a city where there aren't 50,000 immigrants from there we safe.

quote:Originally posted by orletafc

- Do we pay or get paid for playing an opponent. Obviously being 81st in FIFA's Ranking doesn't help.

My understanding is that:

If you play at home you have to pay the opponent and cover their cost ( ie.: travel and accomodations). But if you pay away, the oppoenent will pay you the negociated amount and cover your expenses. That explains all those freindlies in europe from the past 5 years.

The more prestigeuos sides ( Brazil) can charge more money to play an opponent in their stadium. So you are probably right that being ranked 81st makes you cheap opponent. But, in an odd way, that has actaully helped. we have gotten against many top notch opponents in the last 5-7 years

If the CSA gently refused the offer from Kerfoot why hasn't he plastered the offer in a whole page add in the major newspapers country wide? The CSA would have had to answer why they don't care about the WNT. Discriminating women.....the CSA would have had to back pedal and do some PR control. Can you imagine National Post/Globe&Mail 1page add reading:

CSA REFUSES OFFER to Train WNT!!!! Bla Bla Bla once a good PR/Reporter would write a "sponsored add/article" That would fly in the CSA's face. Look at the Women Ski Jumpers for the Olimpics the thing is still on in the media and the CSA would bend more quickly than IOC.

Archived