Real Toronto Disqualified from Nationals

Prof

London AEK suddenly headed for nationals

Sun, September 28, 2008

An ineligible player violation disqualifies Real Toronto from Ontario title

By MORRIS DALLA COSTA

London AEK men's soccer team is Ontario Cup champion.

AEK played in the final two weeks ago, losing 2-1 to Real Toronto in Toronto.

But an Ontario Soccer Association investigation revealed Real had used an ineligible player.

Martin Painter, coach of AEK, received a telephone call Thursday from the OSA, asking if it turned out Toronto had used an ineligible player, would the London club be available to represent Ontario at the national championships in Newfoundland the second week of October.

AEK did not request an investigation and had no idea the situation existed until they were notified by the OSA.

"I had to talk to the players but told him I would try and make it happen," said Painter. "We had no idea any of this was happening but we're happy we're going to get a chance to play."

On Friday, the OSA called confirming Real Toronto used an ineligible player.

Real was a team basically put together to win the Ontario Cup and the national championship. The team used its affiliation with several Canadian Soccer League clubs for players. It registered in the Ontario Soccer League's lowest-ranked league simply to qualify for the Ontario Cup.

Real Toronto had already signed a maximum 25 players to its roster. It signed an additional player who played, giving the team one more than the allowed limit and making that player ineligible.

The situation apparently came to the attention of the OSA when Real filled in its roster for the national tournament, and when it was checked against the official OSA roster, the extra player was noticed.

"The issue we have is trying to get some of our players off work," said Painter. "We may have some issues with a couple of them, but we're going to do everything we can to make it work.

"To a man, they were really excited about the opportunity of getting a chance to play in the nationals."

The reversal puts the London team in a unique situation. AEK will travel to St. John's, joining the North London Galaxy women's team who won the Ontario Cup the week before.

The Galaxy is coached by Geoff Painter, Martin's father. London will have a chance to bring home two national senior titles.

"It's not going to be easy," Martin Painter said. "These are national championships, so you are going to get 10 good teams. But you never know what's going to happen."

I think the 26 players registered ruling was just a cop out by the OSA to deal with complaints that the whole team had played for various team this summer, with the teams being semi-pro and even pro teams. This team is really not an ameteur club like the others at Nationals.

quote:Originally posted by Bates

I think the 26 players registered ruling was just a cop out by the OSA to deal with complaints that the whole team had played for various team this summer, with the teams being semi-pro and even pro teams. This team is really not an ameteur club like the others at Nationals.

I would love to know which district approved the club they formed, or which club sponsored them .. anyone know ?

quote:Originally posted by Bates

Based on many years of looking after player registration for senior competitive sides I can tell you that 25 is definitely the usual limit so I think this is a legit enough reason by itself. Wonder what would have happened, however, if Martin Painter had said AEK wouldn't be available. :) This helps AEK salvage their season. They lost out on the WOSL premier title to London Croatia this season, which must have been a major disappointment for them.

Isn't this a reason to change the system? The lines between pro and amateur are so blurred with the CSL and other leagues. Now roster spots on MLS teams are considered amateur ?? I wish I could throw a stick of dynamite on the system. I know the pieces would fall in place. Canadian Open Cup winner get $1 million. Amateur, semi-pro, pro ; I don't care. The best will show up.

Archived