CSL Week 10

Result of the Friday July 18, 2008 CSL game between Portugal FC vs. Trois-Rivieres Attak played at Lamport Stadium in Toronto at 8:00pm.

80 min…Attak Masso Di Ioia GOAL…Di Ioia 25 yard freekick blast up middle has ball fly around player wall and into right side of net leaving goalie Michael Silva frozen blocking the center of the net.

Final Score:……Portugal FC………0………..Trois-Rivieres Attak……..1………

Attendance was about 250 people on this hot and humid overcast evening.

Biggest story of the night was the play that brought about the goal itself. Attak was pressuring just outside the PFC box and Ronald Nicholas was injured making a sliding save inside the box to block a shot. He looked like he probably took a ball in the stomach or on his side. Nicholas wasn’t getting up and the ball rebounded out of the box. PFC thought the ball would be knocked out of bounds so the injury could be treated. No Attak player made that move and a PFC player bent over and picked up the ball. That certainly drew a whistle immediately and the player could be treated and a sub for each team could be made. Referee Domenic Scali signaled for an Attak freekick and this gave the team their best dead ball chance all night.

The game had started out with no team getting the ball in the opposition’s box for the first 8 minutes of the game but after that, the rest of the evening there were plenty of chances for both teams. Andrew Olivieri earned the shutout for the Attak with some good saves and Michael Silva was outstanding for PFC. PFC got a chance to tie at 82 minutes when Ularem Castro took a 22 yard freekick up the middle that Olivieri palmed over the net. Much of the second half was played in the PFC end but they still had their chances. Best Attak chance before the goal was at 69 minutes when an Attak cross from 20 yards away on the right had TRA Nicolas Lesage get in a diving header from 5 yards that hit the right goal post. The 1-0 win or a 0-0 tie would have been a fair result. The Attak are building a huge lead in the National Division. Portugal FC is behind in the International Division but could easily make the playoffs on their record at the end of the season when only three teams won’t be in post season action.

A perfect night for the Attak as it was announced at the game that their parent team Montreal Impact won against Miami FC 3-1. That game was on Fox Sports World and this game was on Rogers Community Channel.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

I attended the North York Astros v Italia Shooters match last night (July 18) at St. Joan of Arc in Maple, ON.

Final Score: Shooters 2, Astros 0

Shooters looked very strong. They got a bit of a lucky goal in the 4th minute (the Astros GK cleared a ball that hit Jason De Thomases and it rebounded past him and into the net). After that, they dominated posession almost the entire 1st half. The Astros had only one good scoring chance when Shane Lammie had a semi break on the Shooters GK in the last seconds of the half but his first touch let him down and he could not get a strong shot on net. The first half ended 1-0

The Astros looked better for the first 15 minutes of the 2nd half and had a few good chances to score. However, they could not get anything past the Shooters GK and midway through the 2nd half, Italia defender Gerard Ladiyou hammered the ball from just outside the 18 yrd box into the top right corner. The Astros did a poor job of closing Ladiyou down but you've got to give him credit for the excellently placed shot. Ladiyou was one of 3 Italia Shooters players who featured for TFC on Tuesday night vs. Independiente. Ladiyou only played about 7 minutes in that game. In my opinion, he was one of the 3 best players on the field for Italia Shooters on this night. He looks to be a very solid young player.

Shooters featured a player wearing the #12 jersey that also really caught my eye. The program listed him as Jon Paul Piques. I've never seen him play before but he looked impressive...strong and fast.

Attendance was about 150. St. Joan of Arc is a very nice little facility. perfect for any CSL team.

interesting note: Shooters top scorer Frank Jonke did not suit up on Friday night. I am very curious to see if he is on TFC's radar. Frank strikes me as a prototypical forward for the TFC system. He's big, strong, athletic and has decent touch. He's not ready for an MLS starting XI but he's got potential

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Shooters featured a player wearing the #12 jersey that also really caught my eye. The program listed him as Jon Paul Piques. I've never seen him play before but he looked impressive...strong and fast.

I think Jean-Paul Piques is a goalkeeper. Probably they had the wrong player listed.

LOL...the Shooters do have ALOT of players on the roster list. Check out their roster on their webpage and you'll see what I mean.

Ok, so now that I know that its not Jean Paul Piques playing Right Midfied, I'd like to know who #12 was because he impressed. I'll send them an Email to get clarification.

Archived