who are the Euro suprises and flops?

ken

It's not too hard to say that the winner will likely come from Italy, France, Spain or Germany and in fact quite safe. More challenging is to pick the dark horses and spectacular underachievers. Who will end out in the semis when most thought they would play three and out, who will crash and burn when they were supposed to cruise to the semis.

You've got to figure one of the hosts will make a run of some sort, I would guess Austria, Turkey and Croatia are always tough and a threat to over achieve. Russia is enigmatic and has the possibility to go to the semis or lose three straight. My guesses this go around are Russia and Austria.

One of France, Italy or the Dutch aren't going through, I'll say France. Spain has a long history of doing not so much but I don't think that is their lot this time. Gemany was supposed to be in trouble at the last WC but instead did quite well, maybe playing in German speaking countries close to home will help them this time but I think they are due for a fall.

I don't think that the Greeks will do too well, but they were such a suprise last time that they don't count as a surprise if they stumble this go around. Last time was supposed to be the last hurrah for the "golden generation" of Portugese football, I think that age will catch up to them this time, Ronaldo nothwithstanding.

What's your guess in this hero and goat poll?

Group A - Portugal will get a run from the Czechs and Swiss. Switzerland are one of those pain in the ass teams and could pull an upset. Turkey finish last in the group.

Group B - Germany and Croatia to advance. I think Poland beats Austria and the co-hosts lose all 3.

Group C - Who knows. I just hope Holland loses all 3 games for stealing Judas.

Group D - Spain gets pushed by Sweden and Greece. If the Greeks make the QF's, they're not going any further this time. Russia lose all 3.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

I actually hope that they win the whole thing so Van Basten (or his replacement) will be convinced *not* to call him up, ever [V].

1. Holland did not steal Judas, he never even made their initial 30 man prelim roster.

2. Austria is rank. If they score a goal in this tourney I would be surprised. Poland will be plucky, but will not be able to overcome either Croatia or Germany

3. Holland will win this group imho. The Italians just lost talismanic Canavaro and I'm not sure they have a natural to fill in beside the Animal Materazzi. France will finish last in this group I think.

4. Spain will walk this group, if had a gun to my head for a "Dark Horse" I would go with sweden to go deepish, I don't know how far, but I truly believe Russia will make it out of the group behind spain.

5. Portugal and Turkey will come out of group A imho...the Turks have some wonderfully talented young players...lets see if they can do it. Czechs to not win a game is my flop of the tourney prediction

Guest Jeffery S.

Spain has looked poor in the last two matches. The mentality is not there yet, though maybe there'll be a reaction.

I don't think any of the supposed favourites are feeling really optimistic. No nation is dominating in Europe clearly lately, and my personal feeling is that there not a great deal of enthusiasm for this Eurocup, certainly I felt more in previous years. But that could be just what Spaniards are feeling, more wait and see and less hype.

In any case I think both hosts are going to do better than most think and I would pick the Swiss to make quarters and maybe even semis.

quote:Originally posted by Johnnyranger

1. Holland did not steal Judas, he never even made their initial 30 man prelim roster.

Let me get my sillyspeak book out...ah yes, i should have "they are permanently borrowing Judas". [:P]

• 3 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Group A - Portugal will get a run from the Czechs and Swiss. Switzerland are one of those pain in the ass teams and could pull an upset. Turkey finish last in the group.

Group B - Germany and Croatia to advance. I think Poland beats Austria and the co-hosts lose all 3.

Group D - Spain gets pushed by Sweden and Greece. If the Greeks make the QF's, they're not going any further this time. Russia lose all 3.

But wasn't it better to see them get on a roll -- only to spectactularily crash and burn at the first sign of adversity?

quote:Originally posted by Ed

But wasn't it better to see them get on a roll -- only to spectactularily crash and burn at the first sign of adversity?

Oddly enough, it was.

On another note, boy was i wrong about the Turks and Russians! [B)]

Archived