Soccer and TF stadium in Moncton

Sébastien

I don't know exactly where to post this, but it has just been announced that the future Soccer and Track and Field stadium in Moncton NB will be getting an extra monetary boost of 1.5 million dollars, bringing some interesting things to the stadium. This infrastructure is being built for the 2010 Jr. Track and Field World Championships.

There will be:

- 8 500 permanent seats in the stadium (up from the initially planned 5 000).

- The possibility to add 9 500 seats, bringing the total capacity to 18 000 (up from the initially planned 10 000).

- Ddditional access roads, parking, entrances and exits, showers, dressing rooms, sound systems and electrical feeds for the stadium, to be built on the Université de Moncton campus.

Now, this is one hell of a big project. I can't imagine it simply being built for the games and the odd time that there is an event capable of drawing 8 500 people. Could a soccer team be in the works for the future in Moncton? I'm not very knowledgeable in the different leagues, but could something like the USL div. 2 work out?

Link: http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/news/article/187582

It's possible, but would a USL D1 team be viable in Atlantic Canada, an area where the soccer tradition isn't very big (although it is growing, like in the rest of the country).

When I see teams like Montreal and Vancouver in the USL D1, I think to myself that Moncton, even with Halifax not being far away, would be in tough to compete.

quote:Originally posted by Sébastien

It's possible, but would a USL D1 team be viable in Atlantic Canada, an area where the soccer tradition isn't very big (although it is growing, like in the rest of the country).

When I see teams like Montreal and Vancouver in the USL D1, I think to myself that Moncton, even with Halifax not being far away, would be in tough to compete.

The Eastlink Premiership has good attendance numbers.

I think that people from all over the maritimes would support a pro soccer team.

Well, nearly 650,000 people live within a 200km radius of moncton (Saint John, Fredricton, Prince Edward Island), and Halifax is probably a 4 hour drive, with a population of about 375,000. However, I still question the viability of a USL team in moncton. If Halifax had a SSS (even something like KGV in Newfoundland)I still think halifax would be a better market for a maritimes franchise, as it is the hub of the region. KGV only cost something like 1.5 million to upgrade, Surely something similar in halifax could be built for 4-5 million (with funding from the City, Province, Soccer Nova Scotia)?

quote:Originally posted by Obinna

Well, nearly 650,000 people live within a 200km radius of moncton (Saint John, Fredricton, Prince Edward Island), and Halifax is probably a 4 hour drive, with a population of about 375,000. However, I still question the viability of a USL team in moncton. If Halifax had a SSS (even something like KGV in Newfoundland)I still think halifax would be a better market for a maritimes franchise, as it is the hub of the region. KGV only cost something like 1.5 million to upgrade, Surely something similar in halifax could be built for 4-5 million (with funding from the City, Province, Soccer Nova Scotia)?

Halifax is 2.5 hours from Moncton.

Simply put, as far as have experienced with mainstream youth in the Moncton area, the greater majority of kids playing soccer do so simply to have a sport to play during the summer, while there isn't any hockey.

The Université de Moncton soccer teams play in front of... basicaly nobody. There was a sports program restructure at the university a couple of years back and initialy, some people were scared that the soccer program would be cut (lack of support and successful results little to come by).

At schools in the area, soccer is as popular, as played and as supported as, say, volleyball. I honestly think basketball is better supported. That's what I mean by a "soccer tradition". The game is developing, but as of yet, it is still seen simply as a game, something that's fun to do and relatively simple for everyone. Before it becomes serious business, the more competitive aspect will have to be developed.

Just an example. Where I live (Shediac NB), it is almost impossible for a youth to get a release from his minor hockey zone to go play for another team, and that's usualy relatively well accepted. If the association says no to the request, the kid will still play. The minor soccer associations, on the other hand, have randomly associated teams. You can have a team of Shediac, composed mostly of players from Bouctouche, playing against a team from Dieppe, composed of many players from Moncton, etc. Quitting soccer, because you couldn't get your release, would be much more commun then it would be in hockey. It is still regarded more as a "social sport" then a real competitive sport.

All this translates into a situation where I doubt the support a professional team would get in the Moncton region. That being said, I am also a big believer in the "build it and they will come" philosophy, so maybe a pro team coming along could help kick start things. It is true that the presence of the QMJHL in Atlantic Canada has done a lot to develop hockey in the region. It's also possible that the same thing could happen with soccer.

I guess we'll simply have to wait and see.

Simply put, as far as have experienced with mainstream youth in the Moncton area, the greater majority of kids playing soccer do so simply to have a sport to play during the summer, while there isn't any hockey.

The Université de Moncton soccer teams play in front of... basicaly nobody. There was a sports program restructure at the university a couple of years back and initialy, some people were scared that the soccer program would be cut (lack of support and successful results little to come by).

At schools in the area, soccer is as popular, as played and as supported as, say, volleyball. I honestly think basketball is better supported. That's what I mean by a "soccer tradition". The game is developing, but as of yet, it is still seen simply as a game, something that's fun to do and relatively simple for everyone. Before it becomes serious business, the more competitive aspect will have to be developed.

Just an example. Where I live (Shediac NB), it is almost impossible for a youth to get a release from his minor hockey zone to go play for another team, and that's usualy relatively well accepted. If the association says no to the request, the kid will still play. The minor soccer associations, on the other hand, have randomly associated teams. You can have a team of Shediac, composed mostly of players from Bouctouche, playing against a team from Dieppe, composed of many players from Moncton, etc. Quitting soccer, because you couldn't get your release, would be much more commun then it would be in hockey. It is still regarded more as a "social sport" then a real competitive sport.

All this translates into a situation where I doubt the support a professional team would get in the Moncton region. That being said, I am also a big believer in the "build it and they will come" philosophy, so maybe a pro team coming along could help kick start things. It is true that the presence of the QMJHL in Atlantic Canada has done a lot to develop hockey in the region. It's also possible that the same thing could happen with soccer.

Soccer is very very popular throughout the maritimes. Moncton isn't all of Atlantic Canada so please stop talking about things that you don't seem to have all the facts about. You'd be impressed with the attendance that Fredericton's NSSL team gets.

Although I have never been to Moncton, I get the impression that Hockey is the dominant sport in that region, so I am not surprised by your analysis. I also think that the Moncton region would not be the ideal place for a professional soccer set up.

However, I do belive that Halifax would be the most logical choice in the Maritimes.

Halifax has a strong soccer tradition. The NSSL (which essentially functions as a Maritime league) has respectable attendance, and over half the teams are based in the Halifax Metro. Furthermore, it is always these same Halifax-based teams who qualify for, and do well at, the National Challenge Cup.

At the university level, Halifax also displays a strong soccer tradition. Just contrast Université de Moncton soccer with St. Mary's University soccer, it is like night and day (SoccerPro will attest to this). I would also argue that Dalhousie has had a more successful program than most NB programs.

Nova Scotia youth teams which represent the province are almost always from the Halifax area, and these teams are usually competetive at Nationals.

I don't believe the soccer tradition is any weaker in Halifax than it is in Edmonton, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Quebec City, London or Calgary. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if a USL-1 franchise did BETTER in Halifax than most of these places. Unlike those cities, Halifax doesn't have professional sports of any kind within driving range.

I think USL-1 would be supported better in a 350,000-400,000 sized city that has never had a previous professional team of any kind, than a 900-000-1 million sized city that has NHL and CFL. To the general public in Edmonton and Calgary, USL-1 mabye viewed as an amaturish league. Mabye not in a smaller city?

All Halifax needs is a 6K or even 5K stadium. After all, average attendance is only around 3.5 or 4K.

I don't believe the soccer tradition is any weaker in Halifax than it is in Edmonton, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Quebec City, London or Calgary. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if a USL-1 franchise did BETTER in Halifax than most of these places. Unlike those cities, Halifax doesn't have professional sports of any kind within driving range.

All Halifax needs is a 6K or even 5K stadium. After all, average attendance is only around 3.5 or 4K.

Halifax has an ABA team and there's been articles about a possible NLL team. You can see a list of Halifax's previous pro teams here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_teams_in_the_Halifax_Regional_Municipality

Halifax has Huskies Stadium which holds 6,500 people and there are many other fields and stadiums in Halifax which could have a lot of seating added to them easily. There are even 2 baseball stadiums that have a decent seating capacity.

Halifax has a strong soccer tradition. The NSSL (which essentially functions as a Maritime league) has respectable attendance, and over half the teams are based in the Halifax Metro. Furthermore, it is always these same Halifax-based teams who qualify for, and do well at, the National Challenge Cup.

Halifax had great attendance numbers at the 2007 senior soccer nationals.

These are the teams in the Eastlink Men's Premiership:

(In brackets next to their name is where they're from and where they finished in the 2007 standings.)

Halifax Dunbrack (Halifax NS, 1st.)

HCU Athens (Halifax NS, 2nd.)

PEI Velvet Underground (Charlottetown PEI, 3rd.)

Halifax City (Halifax NS, 4th.)

Fredericton Picaroon's Reds (Fredericton NB, 5th.)

Dartmouth United (Dartmouth NS, 6th.)

Cape Breton United (Sydney/New Waterford NS, 7th.)

Valley Kings Arms (New Minas/Kentville NS, 8th.)

Highland Knights (Truro/Antigonish/New Glasgow NS, 9th.)

Scotia (Sackville/Fall River NS, did not play in summer 2007.)

There's even been rumours of 2008 expansion teams in Moncton NB, Saint John NB, & St. Lawrence NL.

Although I have never been to Moncton, I get the impression that Hockey is the dominant sport in that region, so I am not surprised by your analysis. I also think that the Moncton region would not be the ideal place for a professional soccer set up.

However, I do belive that Halifax would be the most logical choice in the Maritimes.

At the university level, Halifax also displays a strong soccer tradition. Just contrast Université de Moncton soccer with St. Mary's University soccer, it is like night and day (SoccerPro will attest to this). I would also argue that Dalhousie has had a more successful program than most NB programs.

Nova Scotia youth teams which represent the province are almost always from the Halifax area, and these teams are usually competetive at Nationals.

I think USL-1 would be supported better in a 350,000-400,000 sized city that has never had a previous professional team of any kind, than a 900-000-1 million sized city that has NHL and CFL. To the general public in Edmonton and Calgary, USL-1 mabye viewed as an amaturish league. Mabye not in a smaller city?

I believe I made an important flaw in my arguments when I extrapolated Moncton to "Maritimes", or even NB to the same. I think it would have saved every headaches if I hadn't done so, and I take back that statement.

That being said, I, as someone who has only started to follow soccer recently, would be extatic for a USL team in Moncton. Also, with the announcement of the number of permanent seats being raised substantialy, I can't imagine that there is not something coming to the region, and as I have previously stated, I do not believe in the CFL in Moncton. The only other option that I can see is soccer.

I agree with you about the fact that Halifax would probably be the better city for such a thing. Much more culturaly diversified, often the first to try new things (ABA, QMJHL, etc.), it would simply make sense. That being said, if a pro-team in NB was capabe of creating a happening, a real interest for domestic and competitive soccer, there is much more reach in Moncton (as in population within a 2.5 hour drive).

There are (correct me if I am wrong), 15 home games in a USL season. Considering the length of the schedule, and the fact that these are during the summer months, I do not think it's very hard to think that a good portion of Halifax fans would drive the 2.5 hours to Moncton and 2.5 hours back for games. However, Moncton cannot and will not be able to have a team without Halifax's approval and support, while Halifax could probably do it solo. That being said, the potential rewards of having a team in Moncton are, I think, higher then they would be in Halifax. But that's pure speculation.

Who knows, maybe we're just building a big stadium for the Jr Track and Field World Championships, making it bigger to make ourselves feel more important and having zero vision as to what to do with it later on. It would not surprise me really. But I simply do not feel that is the case.

And lets not forget, Moncton has been having penis envy about Halifax for years now and trying to get big things before they do. This might be right up that alley.

Guest Jeffery S.

There is no way any city at 2.5 hours distance from another is going to get anything more than token or just occasional support from it for a sporting event. Moncton cannot look to Halifax to support a semi pro soccer team, it is not reasonable.

If Moncton wants to go ahead with a project, they have to market it to those in the immediate area. In any case, if you could get a bit of enthusiasm going for a pro product you might be able to get a few thousand out for a USL Div 2 game, though if you were in PDL you would be happy to do what Thunder Bay does, occasionally get more than a thousand.

Maybe the stadium is a place for special one-off events, a women's national team game, a tournament, things like that.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

There is no way any city at 2.5 hours distance from another is going to get anything more than token or just occasional support from it for a sporting event. Moncton cannot look to Halifax to support a semi pro soccer team, it is not reasonable.

If Moncton wants to go ahead with a project, they have to market it to those in the immediate area. In any case, if you could get a bit of enthusiasm going for a pro product you might be able to get a few thousand out for a USL Div 2 game, though if you were in PDL you would be happy to do what Thunder Bay does, occasionally get more than a thousand.

Maybe the stadium is a place for special one-off events, a women's national team game, a tournament, things like that.

From what I've seen in the past, Saint John NB soccer gets a lot of fan support. They have a 5,000-seat stadium and Moncton, Fredericton, & Maine are nearby.

Aside from all this USL talk, I think the current NSSL could become the foundation for a regional semi professional league in Atlantic Canada (Similar to the CSL in Ontario). Consider the stadium situation in Atlantic Canada.

Moncton will have an 8,500 seat stadium

Saint John already has a 5,000 seat stadium (Canada Games Stadium)

http://webzoom.freewebs.com/jrhockeyfan90/canada%20games%20stadium.jpg

Fredericton is planning (or already has) a new soccer complex that looks like it could seat 2,000

http://www.patronsvredssoccer.com/images/turffieldmedium.jpg

St. John's has a 6,500 seat stadium

http://www.nlsa.ca/default.php?display=modGallery&curpage=3&do=viewImage&iid=82&aid=8

Halifax (Dalhousie) has a 1,500 capacity

Halifax (Saint Mary's) has a staduim used for soccer (but unfortunatly with gridiron) with 4,000 capacity

http://www.smu.ca/administration/admiss/campustour/images/stadium.jpg

Prince Edward Island has a turf

This leaves us with 7 facilities...which could host at least 7 teams.

Lets look at current teams

Dunbrack Premiere Van Lines (Halifax)

HCU Athens (Halifax)

PEI Velvet Underground

City Coldwell Banker (Halifax)

Fredericton Picaroons Reds

Dartmouth United

Cape Breton United

Valley Kings Arms

Highland Knights

The latter two in this list could be replaced by a franchise in Moncton and a franchise in Saint John, as both will have stadiums to play in.

There are currently three competetive teams in the St. John's metro region (Holy Cross, fieldians, Mount Pearl). Because Holy Cross is actually in the city, uses King George V as their current home field, and has a richer soccer tradition than the other two, this club could function as a skeleton for a Newfoundland franchise.

That takes care of St. John's

Now for Halifax. With the addition of Mainland Common North, the three Halifax-based teams are taken care of in respect to home fields.

That only leaves Dartmouth and Cape Breton. And I assume these teams already have venues, they would just need to be upgraded.

Travel costs would be inexpensive, with the exception of St. John's Newfoundland.

To make large travel expenses worthwhile, mabye put another franchise in Mount Pearl (I have heard talks about them upgrading smallwood soccer complex), St. Lawerence (very rich soccer tradition), or even a franchise on the west coast. Of course, the latter two would need either major upgrades, or brand new venues.

An Atlantic Canada Superleague?

Dunbrack Premiere Van Lines (Halifax) __Mainland Common North

HCU Athens (Halifax) _____ _____ ___Huskies Stadium

PEI Velvet Underground __________ __ _UPEI Turf

City Coldwell Banker (Halifax) ________Wickwire Field

Fredericton Picaroons Reds _______ UNB Soccer Complex

Dartmouth United _________________Beazley Field (Upgraded)?

Cape Breton United ______ ____ ______Cape Breton Turf

Moncton First Touch ________ ___ ____New Moncton Stadium

Saint John's Fundy_______ _________Canada Games Stadium

St. John's Holy Cross_______ _ ______King George V Stadium

St. Lawerence Laurentians_______ ____Laurentian Field

Mount Pearl S.C _______ ____ ______Smallwood Soccer Complex

Eastlink could continue providing local coverage in Nova Scotia.

I think that such a league could draw 1000-500 a game (similar to PDL). I know for a fact that Newfoundland Challenge Cup games draw at least 500 to most games, NSSL is likley similar in attendance.

Unlike the PDL or even USL-2, you would see the emergance of intra and inter city and provincal rivalries. SOMETHING YOU CAN ACTUALLY BUILD A FANBASE ON.

It costs about 13k to run a Newfoundland Challange cup team. With this new league, teams could perhaps operate on budgets of roughly 35-40k at first (just increase sponsership revinue), than grow from here.

OR

Halifax or Moncton could land a USL-1 or 2 franchise, which would thus render any emergant regional league as AMATURE.

which situatuion would be better in the long run?

Aside from all this USL talk, I think the current NSSL could become the foundation for a regional semi professional league in Atlantic Canada (Similar to the CSL in Ontario). Consider the stadium situation in Atlantic Canada.

Moncton will have an 8,500 seat stadium

Saint John already has a 5,000 seat stadium (Canada Games Stadium)

http://webzoom.freewebs.com/jrhockeyfan90/canada%20games%20stadium.jpg

Fredericton is planning (or already has) a new soccer complex that looks like it could seat 2,000

http://www.patronsvredssoccer.com/images/turffieldmedium.jpg

St. John's has a 6,500 seat stadium

http://www.nlsa.ca/default.php?display=modGallery&curpage=3&do=viewImage&iid=82&aid=8

Halifax (Dalhousie) has a 1,500 capacity

Halifax (Saint Mary's) has a staduim used for soccer (but unfortunatly with gridiron) with 4,000 capacity

http://www.smu.ca/administration/admiss/campustour/images/stadium.jpg

Prince Edward Island has a turf

This leaves us with 7 facilities...which could host at least 7 teams.

Lets look at current teams

Dunbrack Premiere Van Lines (Halifax)

HCU Athens (Halifax)

PEI Velvet Underground

City Coldwell Banker (Halifax)

Fredericton Picaroons Reds

Dartmouth United

Cape Breton United

Valley Kings Arms

Highland Knights

The latter two in this list could be replaced by a franchise in Moncton and a franchise in Saint John, as both will have stadiums to play in.

There are currently three competetive teams in the St. John's metro region (Holy Cross, fieldians, Mount Pearl). Because Holy Cross is actually in the city, uses King George V as their current home field, and has a richer soccer tradition than the other two, this club could function as a skeleton for a Newfoundland franchise.

That takes care of St. John's

Now for Halifax. With the addition of Mainland Common North, the three Halifax-based teams are taken care of in respect to home fields.

That only leaves Dartmouth and Cape Breton. And I assume these teams already have venues, they would just need to be upgraded.

Travel costs would be inexpensive, with the exception of St. John's Newfoundland.

To make large travel expenses worthwhile, mabye put another franchise in Mount Pearl (I have heard talks about them upgrading smallwood soccer complex), St. Lawerence (very rich soccer tradition), or even a franchise on the west coast. Of course, the latter two would need either major upgrades, or brand new venues.

An Atlantic Canada Superleague?

Dunbrack Premiere Van Lines (Halifax) __Mainland Common North

HCU Athens (Halifax) _____ _____ ___Huskies Stadium

PEI Velvet Underground __________ __ _UPEI Turf

City Coldwell Banker (Halifax) ________Wickwire Field

Fredericton Picaroons Reds _______ UNB Soccer Complex

Dartmouth United _________________Beazley Field (Upgraded)?

Cape Breton United ______ ____ ______Cape Breton Turf

Moncton First Touch ________ ___ ____New Moncton Stadium

Saint John's Fundy_______ _________Canada Games Stadium

St. John's Holy Cross_______ _ ______King George V Stadium

St. Lawerence Laurentians_______ ____Laurentian Field

Mount Pearl S.C _______ ____ ______Smallwood Soccer Complex

Eastlink could continue providing local coverage in Nova Scotia.

I think that such a league could draw 1000-500 a game (similar to PDL). I know for a fact that Newfoundland Challenge Cup games draw at least 500 to most games, NSSL is likley similar in attendance.

Unlike the PDL or even USL-2, you would see the emergance of intra and inter city and provincal rivalries. SOMETHING YOU CAN ACTUALLY BUILD A FANBASE ON.

It costs about 13k to run a Newfoundland Challange cup team. With this new league, teams could perhaps operate on budgets of roughly 35-40k at first (just increase sponsership revinue), than grow from here.

OR

Halifax or Moncton could land a USL-1 or 2 franchise, which would thus render any emergant regional league as AMATURE.

which situatuion would be better in the long run?

Some of the seating numbers that you posted are inaccurate.

Quite a few NSSL games get over 1,000-fans.

You also forgot 2 Eastlink Premiership teams in your list.

I'm starting a new thread for this maritime league discussion.

I never forgot Valley and Highland, I removed them.

I was only estimating averages for the NSSL

And i'm sure NSSL games don't average over 1,000 a game I'm basing this the 2006 final I watched online that only drew slightly over 1,000. Surely the final would draw WAY above the season average? Here in Newfoundland we usually draw anywhere between 2,000-3,000 for the final.

Also, I question the validity of your St. Lawerence rumor. Nobody is talking about it. Also, there is nothing on the Laurentian fourm, or on the NSLA website.

St. Lawerence is the Hallmark team of our Challenge cup league, they wouldn't expand to the NSSL unless they planned on playing in both leagues. And, if that were the case their budget, as well as the budgets of other teams, would be immediatly inflated.

Also, the ST. Lawerence/Holy Cross rivalry is nearly 50 years old. The rivalries with other Burin teams (Burin, Marystown, etc) are even older. If your expanding into Newfoundland you have to at least include Holy Cross as well (they have finished third the past couple of years and would probably be a mid-table team in a new regional league).

Besides that, adding only one Newfoundland team simply isn't economical, you understand why right?

I was only estimating averages for the NSSL

And i'm sure NSSL games don't average over 1,000 a game I'm basing this the 2006 final I watched online that only drew slightly over 1,000. Surely the final would draw WAY above the season average? Here in Newfoundland we usually draw anywhere between 2,000-3,000 for the final.

Also, I question the validity of your St. Lawerence rumor. Nobody is talking about it. Also, there is nothing on the Laurentian fourm, or on the NSLA website.

Besides that, adding only one Newfoundland team simply isn't economical, you understand why right?

I go to dozens of NSSL games each year. I know what their attendance numbers are! I've even been up to Fredericton.

The St. Lawrence rumour came from an NSSL player.

I also understand economics as I've taken a very good high school course in it.

Archived