Aug 30 - Vancouver vs Minnesota [R]

Footy

Mat Nelson to start in goal for Whitecaps

I'm glad the Caps were able to add Nelson this guy has played well all season for Harrisburgh and a good keeper when he played for Virginia Beach. I understand he will start tonigh against Minnesota so the jobs their for the taking ... He cant be all that bad of bloke here is his comments about the Southsiders ....

"I was told I would have an opportunity, but I'll have to earn it," said Nelson. "This is one of the top organizations in the league. It was always one of the highlights of the season to play here. The fans standing behind the goal, they make it fun, keep you involved. But I hope I won't get the stick from them this time around."

What the heck is wrong with USL Live from Vancouver? 2 of the 3 games since I bought a monthly pass have not worked! This one started alright, but quit after about 15 minutes. :(

EDIT: Oh, now it's working... but I missed about 10 minutes, including the goal... 1-0 Vancouver...

EDIT: And 10 minutes later it's down again...

I'm not really watching much of the game so I can't comment on that. However I do have one comment about the southsiders. If they are going to call themselves the southsiders perhaps they should occupy that end of the stadium for the whole match. It's kind of odd watching the TV and seeing the so called "hardcore" supporters section nearly completely empty for the second half of a number of games this year. Whats the point of having a supporters section allocated to you if you aren't going to stay there the whole game?

You should get your money back from USL live.

Hey krammernuts, do you play football, or have you ever played football. Or are you one of those guys who sits in the stands and believes it's his right to criticize players cuz you know you'll never be on their level. I've played against all 3 whitecaps keepers and RG is the one I'd rather not play against. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for competition at every position, but what is competition if not everyone's getting the same judgement.

What I don't get is why noone mentions the terrorists(I really mean defenders) in front of the keepers who believe positioning and helping out one another are second fiddle to selling guns(opportunities) to the opposition.

quote:Originally posted by THE_TRUTH

Hey krammernuts, do you play football, or have you ever played football. Or are you one of those guys who sits in the stands and believes it's his right to criticize players cuz you know you'll never be on their level. I've played against all 3 whitecaps keepers and RG is the one I'd rather not play against. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for competition at every position, but what is competition if not everyone's getting the same judgement.

What I don't get is why noone mentions the terrorists(I really mean defenders) in front of the keepers who believe positioning and helping out one another are second fiddle to selling guns(opportunities) to the opposition.

Yeah I've played the sport. However I think people who have never played the game can see how weak Goddard is. He's so weak he had to be a backup for the Toronto Lynx!!

By the way, had any new lawsuits against you lately?

As an aside, my comments were a valid opinion on the goalkeeping situation having watched all of his games this season. You on the other hand probably haven't seen him play at all this year. Just being an ex-CPSL player means squat on how he has played this season.

As for you, you can go shove a large lemon filled with nails up your butt.

1-0 final (Nash 16'). The feed kept quitting and coming back. At least it was working during what must have been the most active part of the game, the last 15 minutes, during which Vancouver had many chances to put it away but just couldn't, including an incredible shot off the post by Sebrango from directly in front of an open net, another post by Kindel and a lob over the keeper that bounced over the bar. Fortunately for Vancouver, Minnesota didn't have much up front, though even they had a couple of good chances in the dying minutes, but Nelson did well (he didn't have much work during the game, but did what he had to do). Vancouver did well to continue to pressure instead of sitting back with a one-goal lead, but will definitely want to do much better to capitalize on their chances as they now head into the playoffs (officially clinching a spot with this win; now only one spot remains).

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Yeah I've played the sport. However I think people who have never played the game can see how weak Goddard is. He's so weak he had to be a backup for the Toronto Lynx!!

By the way, had any new lawsuits against you lately?

As an aside, my comments were a valid opinion on the goalkeeping situation having watched all of his games this season. You on the other hand probably haven't seen him play at all this year. Just being an ex-CPSL player means squat on how he has played this season.

As for you, you can go shove a large lemon filled with nails up your butt.

(swish)

[edit]

terrorists... ...?

I'm not really watching much of the game so I can't comment on that. However I do have one comment about the southsiders. If they are going to call themselves the southsiders perhaps they should occupy that end of the stadium for the whole match. It's kind of odd watching the TV and seeing the so called "hardcore" supporters section nearly completely empty for the second half of a number of games this year. Whats the point of having a supporters section allocated to you if you aren't going to stay there the whole game?

I might be able to shed some light on this...

In seasons past, the Whitecaps have managed to keep their home field advantage by attacking the south net for most of the home schedule. Teams like Seattle, Portland, etc would make an effort to protect their keeper for the second half hence the side change. The Whitecaps bench is on the southside and we line up for the national anthems on the southside hence the southside is our home side to defend for the first half. Losing this advantage for a handful of home games a year was never a big deal, we lived with it. However, this season I noticed something that has given us the opposite of what should be our home field 'advantage'. The majority of our home fixtures have been at our disadvantge. What I have noticed on many occasions is that after the anthems have been completed, the Whitecaps players go into a huddle at the Caps bench and Lilley takes a minimum of 2-3 minutes to say whatever. During this time I have seen the away clubs actually set up on the north end and then realize that the south is wide open. I've seen away players point this out and then proceed to make their way over to defend the south net. Lilley and the Caps practically invite the away teams to choose a side no matter if the was an agreement during the coin toss or not, sure some teams demand a half like Seattle, Portland etc, but teams like Atlanta, Miami, etc. what is their angle?

This has made watching a game in the southside very frustrating. Attacking football in the second half when you've already built up your booze voice is to me what the southside is all about. This season we have made the move over to the North side on more than a few occasions not only to see some attacking football but to inject some life into the prawn sandwich eating corporate free ticket handout losers that occupy the North side. Believe me, I would prefer to stay in the south, but this season has been very odd on a number of fronts.

The players should have their huddle in front of their home net and then we wouldnt get screwed almost every game, then the southside would be the way it was meant to be be.

Good call Kapt W ! fustrating being an active supporter these days especialy when the Whitecaps take away the advantage of attacking the southside ... sure or numbers have been down this season but you know come playoff time when you need all the bag of tricks we have a large southside group the usual new folks that come out for big games on top of the regular voices ...dont the Whitecaps care about having the "extra man" advantage?

Guest Jeffery S.

What I am surprised by is that in spite of the coin toss visiting teams choose the side they want. You mean you don't toss and then the winner gets to choose either side to start on or kick off?

Anyways, weird, but I have to say in stadiums of third tier and lower teams here in Spain that are not full, or when end zones are not usually sat in, it is typical for supporters to change sides and sit behind the opposing team's keeper for both halves. I have seen that many times, so it is not the most unusual thing.

Guest Jeffery S.

What I am surprised by is that in spite of the coin toss visiting teams choose the side they want. You mean you don't toss and then the winner gets to choose either side to start on or kick off?

Anyways, weird, but I have to say in stadiums of third tier and lower teams here in Spain that are not full, or when end zones are not usually sat in, it is typical for supporters to change sides and sit behind the opposing team's keeper for both halves. I have seen that many times, so it is not the most unusual thing.

I've mentioned to a couple of southsiders this season that it appears the Whitecaps are picking both ends of the field to attack equally this season, appearing to wish to give the VIPers an equal chance to watch the Whitecaps attack towards their end of the pitch. Nevermind that the Whitecaps seem to relish attacking the crowded southside in the second half (who can forget some of those second half heroics when a goal was scored into the goal in front of a packed southside who then went crazy) the Caps seem to want to play not favourites. In spite of the fact it gives them a good home advantage.

Not suprising coming from a team that seemed more concerned about promoting the Galaxy friendly as opposed to winning games this season.

quote:Anyways, weird, but I have to say in stadiums of third tier and lower teams here in Spain that are not full, or when end zones are not usually sat in, it is typical for supporters to change sides and sit behind the opposing team's keeper for both halves. I have seen that many times, so it is not the most unusual thing.

Problem is at Swangard when the southsiders move to the other end of the field they are not behind the goal, but sandwiched in the corner between the bleachers and the VIP section.

more concerned about promoting the Galaxy friendly as opposed to winning games this season.

That reminds me... It would be more correct to say "promoting the Beckham friendly". I had to shake my head when they announced that Beckham would be out 4-6 weeks and therefore the friendly has been postponed to a date yet to be determined (though it will be in 2007). What a farce (not the Whitecaps specifically, but the whole Beckhamania).

(Wow, my spell-checker highlights "Beckham" as a spelling error. I'm surprised his name is not in the dictionary by now.)

It was always in the contract that the game would be rescheduled if Beckham was not in the lineup, and he has to play a certain amount of minutes.

Yep, the whole Beckham mania thing is quite a farce. I don't know if they have changed it but for the last couple of months when you try to access the Whitecaps home page you get a very large picture of Beckham and they are trying to flog tickets to the game. You have to click that you don't want to order tickets in order to access the Whitecaps site. I know some people who thought they'd been re-directed to the LA Galaxy site.

Krammernuts, just to show how un-informed you really are, you gathered your info on me by reading posts that are about 4-5 years old, also what do you knwo about me outside of this forum....lets wait...thats right, nothing. You have no idea where I've played and where I even live. I suppose you didn't know that i have been living in the lower mainland for a few years now, and yes I have seen all the goalkeepers play. The inconsistency problem belongs solely on the shoulder of the coach, who all season has looked undecided as to what direction he wants to take the team in. Different teams call for different ways of playing and sometimes this calls for a different type of keeper. Goddard is more of a 5th defender, yes he's made mistakes, but tell me one player on the caps who hasn't. All I'm trying to say is that you've seen him play a few times this year, yet ive seen him play many times over many years, and he brings more to a team than you will ever imajine. Being backup for the lynx had nothing to do with ability. It had everything to do with the franchise goalie being overpaid and part of the coaching staff, as well as a senior member of the lynx.

quote:I have seen all the goalkeepers play

Yeah, and I've been watching the Whitecaps goalkeepers since Phil Parkes was guarding the goal in the 70s. I've also played the position a bit as well. So I think I'm able to judge when a keeper is dodgy or not.

quote:All I'm trying to say is that you've seen him play a few times this year

Thats correct, and the point I was making is that based on the games he's played this year I'd have played Pfannensteil ahead of him, and this new keeper that won a USL-2 championship as well.

quote: Krammernuts

Is this supposed to bother me in some way?

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Krammerhead by his own admission doesn't even attend Whitecaps games as I recall.

I suppose you can only judge players if you see the game live? Seems to me plenty of people can judge EPL games and the like without attending the games. Canadas national team gets judged by the voyageurs here based on games nearly all only watched on TV. I suppose it's only the domestic game where one cant have an opinion unless they attend live?

Like I've said I've watched all of the games available, USL Live and each televised game on Shaw (which has been every home game since June). Seems to me I also benefit from watching the numerous replays on Shaw that a fan can't see being in the stadium, so I have a better look at the action on the pitch.

Really, some of you should pull the carrots out of your bum and stop being so upset that I'm not going to the games. After all, by the Caps staffs own admission they don't need me to attend.

Well if you insist on constantly putting down the team and the entire organisation then no, I don't blame them for being indifferent about you attending games in person.

Judgements are passed on EPL and Canada games after watching on TV because for most of us attending in person is just not practical or even possible. But you live on the North Shore and have no real excuse for not attending games at Swangard unless you have some physical reason that makes it not possible or too difficult that you are not sharing with the rest of us.

I don't know why people continue to engage him in any kind of debate. The lad has a borderline personality disorder. I've never seen anyone so desperately in need of therapy. In his mind, he's never wrong and he'll bore you into submission before ever conceding he's WRONG. It's quite comical actually.

If he's as brilliant as he thinks he is, why doesn't he apply to be President of the organization? They'd never lose again, and have sell outs every game.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

I don't know why people continue to engage him in any kind of debate. The lad has a borderline personality disorder. I've never seen anyone so desperately in need of therapy. In his mind, he's never wrong and he'll bore you into submission before ever conceding he's WRONG. It's quite comical actually.

If he's as brilliant as he thinks he is, why doesn't he apply to be President of the organization? They'd never lose again, and have sell outs every game.

Is it sad that I'm not sure who you're talking about?

Guest Jeffery S.

So people are not allowed to disagree as to which keeper is better? When did that rule get made up?

It is hard to judge a keeper, in any case, but I agree with Krammerhead that you can judge them from watching on tv, indeed of all players on the field the ones you can see most clearly on tv are the keepers. You go to a game and the pace is different, you appreciate the speed of one player or anothers control, you see the off the ball movement the camera can't catch.

This is least applicable to keepers. Usually great saves look very good on tv and often live they happen so quickly you can't see them well. I have watched top level pro keepers train, play and on tv, and usually you are looking at something fairly similar in all three circumstances, unlike with the rest of the players.

Archived