Tony Fonseca

fulhamfan

He was my coach playing club soccer in Vancouver a few years ago and he has since coached the Whitecaps and was an Assistant to Stephen Hart at the Gold Cup.

I think he also had a lot to do with the way Canada played at the Gold Cup. He used to play for Benfica and Portugal back in the day and always preached playing an attractive, passing and patient attack. Canada played the same way that he always wanted our team to play.

Was wondering if you guys knew if he is still involved with the MNT after the Mitchell appointment? His European experience and soccer background can only benefit the players.

quote:Originally posted by fulhamfan

He used to play for Benfica and Portugal back in the day and always preached playing an attractive, passing and patient attack.

Whitecaps fans would beg to differ. His coaching style led to some of the most boring, zero-offence, Christmas tree rubbish I have ever had the misfortune of suffering through.

Fonseca was pre-Lilley Lilley-ball.

With respect, Johnny, I saw it very differently.

Tony Fonseca had, IMO, the Whitecaps playing a very attractive and attacking style of soccer, holding possessoin and using speed. Prior to to him stepping down as coach of the Whitecaps, the team fashioned an amazing season with only 6 or 7 losses, and completely dominated the Sounders in the playoffs only to lose on a typical late Seattle goal. It was an early exit from what was expected to be a long playoff drive that led to Fonseca's sacking. If anything, his weakness was in the defence as the team found ways to give up late or important goals from time to time.

I think Lilley's hiring was a strong response to what the brass saw as a lack of a defensive system. As you may recall, there was a lot of lamenting the boring soccer that Lilley promoted the first season after Fonseca. No, I disagree with you, Johnnie, Fonseca was a positive coach and I enjoyed watching his team play.

Cheers!

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Soju

O/T but.."Christmas tree rubbish" interesting never heard this expression. Can anyone explain?

You play a formation like a 6-3-1, super defensive and tapering off in the attack.

In Spain they call this "poner el autobus", like you park the team bus in front of the goal and play from there.

As in this cartoon: Rijkaard's Ideal Starting Line-up; Barça Fans' Ideal Line-Up; What Fabio Capello's Would Do at Barça

http://www.sport.es/default.asp?idpublicacio_PK=44&idioma=CAS&idnoticia_PK=428619&idseccio_PK=800&h=

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by jpg75

That's hilarious Jeffrey!

Here's the cartoon...

foto_233001_CAS.jpg

Thanks for doing that for me. What is good is that the "autocar" counts as a player, count them up.

The team bus is good for a lot of football metaphors in Spanish. One that Valdano made famous was the phrase "we are going to win without even getting off the bus", though I think he was saying it was not possible.

Archived