Oppong----------------------------Hainault

Pozniak---------------------------Ledgerwood

Placentino------------------------Peters

Hutchinson------------------------Johnson

Harmse----------------------------Gyaki

Simpson---------------------------DeJong

Matondo---------------------------Jackson

Friend----------------------------Lombardo

My first impression is that the 2008 starting 11 is signifcantly better than 2004 (granted, Hume is omitted).

My second impression is that unlike 2004, most of these guys will be in the mix for 2008 qualifying. Throw in Hutch, Hume, Simpson, McKenna, Friend, and Lars and we have a decent squad, familiar with one another, familiar with Mitchell, who should be able to make it to the Hex.

Perhaps Mitchell should take the U23 squad through qualifying. An Olympic berth would be pretty good prep for the start of qualifying in 2008. Better than what could have been accomplished by taking the full men's squad to '07 Gold Cup, IMHO.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

I wanted to line-up the 2004 Olympic Team with a possible 2008 Olympic Team:

2004-------------------------------2008

Olivieri--------------------------Wagenaar

Braz------------------------------O'Connor

Nsaliwa---------------------------Edgar

Oppong----------------------------Hainault

Pozniak---------------------------Ledgerwood

Placentino------------------------Peters

Hutchinson------------------------Johnson

Harmse----------------------------Gyaki

Simpson---------------------------DeJong

Matondo---------------------------Jackson

Friend----------------------------Lombardo

My first impression is that the 2008 starting 11 is signifcantly better than 2004 (granted, Hume is omitted).

My second impression is that unlike 2004, most of these guys will be in the mix for 2008 qualifying. Throw in Hutch, Hume, Simpson, McKenna, Friend, and Lars and we have a decent squad, familiar with one another, familiar with Mitchell, who should be able to make it to the Hex.

Perhaps Mitchell should take the U23 squad through qualifying. An Olympic berth would be pretty good prep for the start of qualifying in 2008. Better than what could have been accomplished by taking the full men's squad to '07 Gold Cup, IMHO.

I also think we can have a pretty good U-23 team. Ledergwood, Wagenaar, DeJong, Peters, Johnson, Hainault, Edgar and maybe even Jackson and Lombardo (but not sure about the last 2) could be in the mix for the 2008 WCQ campaign.

So, I agree that Mitchell should take this team to the tournament (to which we've already qualified).

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Have we qualified? I thought we go to a group of eight with USA, Mexico, 3 central americans, 2 caribbeans?

Or do 8 from CONCACAF go through? That seems like too many teams.

We're already in the qualifying tournament, that's what I meant. In 2004 we had to give a pounding to the uS Virgin Islands and get pass El Salvador before getting t the final 8.

Hi guys

I think the CSA will put more emphasis and funds towards the WNT team to go to the Olympics,

they probably feel that the u-23 mens team is a very long shot.

The Panam games would have been a good platform for Dale to get his feet wet beyond the U-20 level.

i have always felt that the way to develop our squad every opportunity should be use to compete at the regional level.

the natural progression should be

U-17,U-20,francophones Games,Panam games,Olympic qualifying, Gold cup and WQC.

there must be additional funding available from sports Canada if we qualify for the games

supplementary funding probably that the CSA does not see worthwhile for them to go after.

The benefits outweight the cost as I think the pre olympic is held in one country thus cutting down the travelling cost its like a training camp plus competitive games with all the drama that comes with it.

the francophone and Panam games can be use as a platform and as both are held in one place you get the windfall as the pre olympic tournament it allows the team to spend extented time together it is for sure prepare the players better than friendlies.

Next francophones games are in 2009.....

I honestly don't know how I would operate the CSA budget regarding the U-20's, U-23 and MNT. Of course my priority would be the MNT but I'm not sure I would give more money to the U-23's, the risk is higher and it's only once every 4 years.

they seems to be doing it for the women's team and we even have a WNT developmental squad to boot.

I am sure participating in a pre olympics qualifying tournament you get some extra funding from sports Canada or olympic Canada to cover some of the cost.

I know they get fundings for the francophone games.

Archived