Canucks in Germany - March 2007

Guest Ed

In the Bundesliga 1 this weekend, Daniel Imhof and VfL Bochum have a tough task, away to Werder Bremen on Saturday. Daniel will likely be on the bench. Perhaps a good time for the visit as Werder Bremen are winless in four and their usually torrid goal-scoring has cooled off, with just 5 goals in their last 5 games.

Kevin McKenna and Energie Cottbus visit the most memorable stadium in the Bundesliga as they take on hosts Borussia Dortmund on Sunday. A win by Cottbus (currently 12th) could move them into the top ten as they sit 3 points behind Borussia Dortmund today, who are sitting 9th. Dortmund won the first leg 3-2 in Cottbus.

Both Canucks in the Bundesliga 2 will be heading east this weekend. Josh Simpson should be ready to go on the bench as his side FC Kaiserslautern visit Erzebirge Aue this Friday, with lots on the

line. FC K sit in 4th on 40 pts (3 pts out of promotion territory) and Aue are just behind them in 5th on 36 pts.

Nik Ledgerwood will again start, in a holding midfield role, as his loan club Wacker Burghausen are away to 2nd place Hansa Rostock. A WB win would certainly help the club of the othe Canuck in Bundesliga 2.

The personall situation at the FCK squad is still horrible, every day a new player add to the list of absence. So perhaps Josh slips in the starting eleven. All of them we are hope that Nik can help us to shorten the distance to Rostock. They need every point in the relegation fight.

Cottbus meets Dortmund, where former Calgary player Jürgen Röber needs the 3 points, not only to fall deeper in the standings, but to keep his job as head coach. Only 2 victories since January are not the gain everybody expected.

Bochum hopes for comepensation, when they visit Bremen. There is still the 0:6 defeat from the first game. After the loss of Schalke last week against Leverkusen they could interfere in the champions race again.

In the lower leagues this weekend, Blerim Rrustemi and Borussia Moenchengladbach amateurs will be looking for another win Sunday as they host Borussia Dortmund amateurs in the Regional League North.

Staying with the northern section of the 3rd division, not sure if Kennedy Owusu-Ansa will be with Hertha Berlin's amateurs (also known as U23's which is mightly misleading as there is no age restriction) as they visit the city of Hamburg to take on FC St Pauli on Saturday. Kennedy did play Monday with the A-Junioren (U19) Hertha youth squad. Jonathan Bourgault is definitely not available to the senior FC St. Pauli team. Jazzy live ticker available here:

http://www.liveticker-basisstpauli.de/ticker.php?act=tickerframe&game=91

In the Regional League South, 1860 Muenchen amateurs are home to FC Kaiserslautern amateurs tomorrow. Not sure whether Kent O'Connor will be playing.

For those wondering what Frank is referring to in describing Roeber as a "former Calgary player", he had a stint with the Calgary Boomers back in 1981.

In the lower leagues this weekend, Blerim Rrustemi and Borussia Moenchengladbach amateurs will be looking for another win Sunday as they host Borussia Dortmund amateurs in the Regional League North.

Staying with the northern section of the 3rd division, not sure if Kennedy Owusu-Ansa will be with Hertha Berlin's amateurs (also known as U23's which is mightly misleading as there is no age restriction) as they visit the city of Hamburg to take on FC St Pauli on Saturday. Kennedy did play Monday with the A-Junioren (U19) Hertha youth squad. Jonathan Bourgault is definitely not available to the senior FC St. Pauli team. Jazzy live ticker available here:

http://www.liveticker-basisstpauli.de/ticker.php?act=tickerframe&game=91

In the Regional League South, 1860 Muenchen amateurs are home to FC Kaiserslautern amateurs tomorrow. Not sure whether Kent O'Connor will be playing.

For those wondering what Frank is referring to in describing Roeber as a "former Calgary player", he had a stint with the Calgary Boomers back in 1981.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

What is the story behind him playing for Calgary? He had just won the German Championship with Bayern and after Calgary transferred to Nottingham Forrest in the English top tier. Calgary seems like a strange stopover for someone playing at the highest level of soccer.

Well, it's been under wraps for so many years but I guess I'll have to spill the story.

Jurgen Roeber came over directly to Calgary in the summer of 1981 under the pretext of playing for the Calgary Boomers, but, in fact, to perform a ultra-secret mission blessed by the very highest in the Bayern leadership team.

His mission: secretly implant a device into the brain of a 6 month old infant, who the Bayern scouts had discovered to be genetically pre-disposed to be one of the greatest footballers ever produced in Europe. The baby unfortunately was born through bizarre circumstance in the cultural (and footy) backwater town of Calgary.

The Bayern brain trust, always so many years ahead of the pack, realized the child needed to be convinced he was European, in order to facilitate the child playing for the German powerhouse and to reduce wear and tear on the future star midfielder by ensuring he would declare himself for a European country, preferably Germany of course, but any EU country would do, and not for Canada.

Jurgen succeeded oh too well and got his butt out of Calgary and as far away from the Boomers as possible once his ultra-secret mission was a 'fait accompli'. The infant, almost 26 years on, is a star with Bayern today, all thanks to Roeber's covert actions in the summer of '81.

Well since we are speculating here, is it possible that a Mr. Roeber is the real biological father of a certain player who believes himself to be European despite all evidence to the contrary? In that case shouldn't this player betray his country for Germany and not England? Will England's results be annuled for fielding an ineligible player (not that there are a lot of successes to annul anyway)?

No, it is well known in the inner circles of Calgary soccerdom that the player in question was conceived while his young parents were on a busman's holiday away from the Manchester area, in the backseat of an old Vauxhall, somewhere in the vicinity of Burton on Trent, some months prior to the mother and father emigrating to Canada in summer of 1980.

Herr Roeber's covert mission came later.

Guest Jeffery S.

Well, it's been under wraps for so many years but I guess I'll have to spill the story.

Jurgen Roeber came over directly to Calgary in the summer of 1981 under the pretext of playing for the Calgary Boomers, but, in fact, to perform a ultra-secret mission blessed by the very highest in the Bayern leadership team.

His mission: secretly implant a device into the brain of a 6 month old infant, who the Bayern scouts had discovered to be genetically pre-disposed to be one of the greatest footballers ever produced in Europe. The baby unfortunately was born through bizarre circumstance in the cultural (and footy) backwater town of Calgary.

The Bayern brain trust, always so many years ahead of the pack, realized the child needed to be convinced he was European, in order to facilitate the child playing for the German powerhouse and to reduce wear and tear on the future star midfielder by ensuring he would declare himself for a European country, preferably Germany of course, but any EU country would do, and not for Canada.

Jurgen succeeded oh too well and got his butt out of Calgary and as far away from the Boomers as possible once his ultra-secret mission was a 'fait accompli'. The infant, almost 26 years on, is a star with Bayern today, all thanks to Roeber's covert actions in the summer of '81.

Thanks for a good laugh, Ed.

sorry folks for the confussion regarding Jürgen Röber. I had no idea what was behind that story. I only read that he played a season for Calgary. All the background Ed, clarified, I did not know.

Nevertheless thanks to Kevin´s Cottbus he and his Borussia are now in the relegation fight, like 9 other teams

quote:Originally posted by frank

sorry folks for the confussion regarding Jürgen Röber. I had no idea what was behind that story. I only read that he played a season for Calgary. All the background Ed, clarified, I did not know.

Nevertheless thanks to Kevin´s Cottbus he and his Borussia are now in the relegation fight, like 9 other teams

That clarification was a joke Frank. Please ignore it. Juergen did indeed play with the Calgary Boomers in the summer of 1981 but went back to Europe after that lone season.

Very surprising to see Energie Cottbus come away with a nice 3-2 away win in Dortmund, reversing the score of the 1st leg between the teams.

The win pushes Energie Cottbus into 11th place, just behind Borussia Dortmund on goal difference. A win by VfL Wolfsburg kept Kapitan Kev's team out of the top 10. Incredibly tight race in the Bundesliga, with place 9 through 17 separated by only 4 points. Places 16, 17 and 18 are relegated at season end. Noone is safe after the top 8.

In the Bundesliga 2, Nik Ledgerwood and Wacker Burghausen held on for a point away to Hansa Rostock, keeping the 2nd place club off the scoresheet on Sunday. Unfortunately, the single point leaves Nik's loan club still some 6 points from safety. The other Canuck, Josh Simpson, and FC Kaiserslautern could not take advantage of the drop of points by Hansa Rostock and the pounding of 3rd place MSV Duisburg by SC Freiburg, as they were dropped 2-0 by Erzebirge Aue on Friday and remain just out of promotion territory in 4th spot in the table.

Kennedy Owusu-Ansah played 90 minutes up front with Hertha Berlin's U19 team this Sunday as they beat their counterparts from Hannover 96 4-1. Here's the report from the DFB:

Aufstellung:

Hannover 96

Maluck

Herrmann, Hofmann, Vucinovic, Brandes

Madsack (63. J. Meyer), Eckert (63. Chahed), Otto (83. Witzel), Bikmaz

Braczkowski, Lindner

Hertha BSC Berlin

Burchert

Krstic, Laletin, Amuri

Pech, Tseke (79. Klaiber), Bigalke (67. Reiß), Traore (67. Baydemir)

Huke (79. Lemke), Dikmen, Owosu-Ansah

Statistik:

Zuschauer 120

Tore 0:1 Bigalke (23.)

0:2 Dikmen (55.)

0:3 Traore (57.)

0:4 Tseke (59.)

1:4 Herrmann (76.)

Schiedsrichter Franke (Bonn)

Verwarnungen Gelb: Otto

Laletin

© DFB - Letztes Update: 04.03.2007 14:36:03

Tomasz Machul came on as a substitute in an attacking role for 1860 Muenchen's U19 in a Junioren-Bundesliga match on Sunday. Here is the DFB report:

1860 München - VfB Stuttgart 2:3 (2:2)

Aufstellung:

1860 München

Rössl

Jungwirth, Mayr, Wittek

Stahl, Fries (59. Kaiser), Schick, Gebhart

Hosiner (69. Machul), Steiner, Scheffler

VfB Stuttgart

Lehmann

Cosic, Kinast, Rudy (46. Schimmel)

Sauter, Schmiedel (73. Degirmenci), Maas, Hohn (69. Grimmer)

Mayer (89. Soylemezgiller), Ismaili, Funk

Statistik:

Zuschauer 150

Tore 0:1 Mayer (12.)

0:2 Ismaili (18.)

1:2 Wittek (42.)

2:2 Wittek (44.)

2:3 Schimmel (55.)

Schiedsrichter Lämmchen (Meuselwitz)

Verwarnungen Gelb: Jungwirth, Steiner

Cosic, Funk

© DFB - Letztes Update: 04.03.2007 13:39:01

That clarification was a joke Frank. Please ignore it. Juergen did indeed play with the Calgary Boomers in the summer of 1981 but went back to Europe after that lone season.

What is the real story behind him playing in Calgary though? It seems like a strange progression Bayern-Calgary-Nottingham.

Sorry Grizzly, I have no idea. I was living in Ottawa during that time and was just too busy playing soccer/working/partying - in no particular order; never followed any of the NASL too much.

Will see today if Kennedy Owusu-Ansah caught the eye of Hertha Berlin's amateurs with his 90 minutes with the U19's on Sunday. Today, the amateurs are in action against SV Wilhelmshaven in a make up game in the Regional League North. Score is 2-2 early in 2nd half. Might not see him as I see one forum has Hertha Berlin's 'amateur' squad has 7 players starting with 1st team experience.

Sorry Grizzly, I have no idea. I was living in Ottawa during that time and was just too busy playing soccer/working/partying - in no particular order; never followed any of the NASL too much.

There were some Europeans who came to the NASL between seasons. I don't know how it worked logistically but they'd catch on with a Euro club after the NASL season, which I believe used to be over by Labor Day weekend. I'm guessing the Euro seasons used to be shorter as well. In any case, I believe all the krauts who played for the Boomers that season (Juergen Stars, Manfred Kramer, Franz Gerber, Roeber, etc.) all returned to Europe. Was this their original plan, I don't know. My dad talked to a few of these guys that season and his impression was it was kind of a working holiday for them. I think the NASL had some pull in Europe at that time (Beckenbauer, Chinaglia, Pele, Rodney Marsh, Best, etc.) and it was considered a decent career move. Maybe they discovered McMahon Stadium and Calgary wasn't exactly Giants Stadium and Manhattan and hightailed it back.

In the Bundesliga 2, Nik Ledgerwood has started and is quite active in midfield with his team Wacker Burghausen currently knotted at 2-2 with visitors SC Freiburg. Neither team will be happy with a draw.

A couple of great saves by Freiburg's keeper and the score remains 2-2 with 10 minutes to go.

Freiburg's Coulibaly hits the post with 5 minutes to go.

Nik has a good chance 18 metres out 4 minutes on the clock, just over. Burghausen really pressing for the win.

In other action this coming weekend, Kapitan Kev and Energie Cottbus will be hosting Alemannia Aachen on Saturday in the Bundesliga 1. Cottbus hammered them 5-1 at home last season when they were both in the Bundesliga 2. A win would do wonders for Cottbus in terms of staying safe.

VfL Bochum host Borussia Dortmund on Saturday with Imhof once again part of the squad but not starting.

Marquee matchup this weekend with high-scoring Werder Bremen visiting Bayern Munich on Sunday.

On Monday, Josh Simpson and 1.FC Kaiserslautern host 1860 Muenchen in the Bundesliga 2.

it wasn´t a good weekend for Kev. With a 0:2 home defeat they are in big trouble again. Kev also hadn´t had his best day. First he caused a penatly for Aachen, fortunatelly Keeper Piplica could save. A few minutes bevore the end of the game a header of him went just wide. After 2 victories on a row, they are back in the relegation fight.

Also Bochum with Daniel are still in these regions, although they beat in a derby Dortmund 2:0. Daniel not even sat on the bench. Only one day after this defeat Jürgen Röber resigned as coach of Borussia, perhaps he has now time to go back to Calgary, let´s discuss again what happened in the summer of..:):D

Niklas Ledgerwood and Burghausen played another fantastic game, bu once again it wasn´t enough to get the 3 points, after a 2:2 against Freiburg.

Tonight Josh´s FCK has the big chance to report back in the race for the way up. With a victory over 1860 Munich they could pull level with Duisburg. The next 3 games are trend setting, next week at Freiburg, then at home against Duisburg

Simpson came on in minute 88 as Kaiserslautern beat 1860 2-1. Kaiserslautern are now even on points with the 3rd place Duisburg and only a one goal difference in goal differential is keeping them from the final promotion spot. 1860 looks likely to stay in the 2nd BL next year.

Archived