Appalling Performance against Jamaica!

Ian Kennett

Just checked December 02 and we were 14th ranked and I believe we will be 8th when the new rankings are posted December 22. That's quite a rise, and remember it's harder to get to the top as you pass teams on the way up. So maybe the quality of our "play" is deteriorating, but the results of the games are not.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

What a load of manure. There was not one person on the field with a better touch or overall skill than Sinclair.

Ed, do you always have to post with such condescension and agression? If you disagree, fair enough, but we are essentially on the same side here and I don't see the point of you slamming those who hold a different opinion or POV. Sinclair, if you read my earlier post, is clearly heads above the rest, and perhaps I should have repeated that sentiment here for your benefit. But that was not my point anyways, now was it? Come on: I can take criticism but let's get some perspective.

I suggest that you get some perspective. I think your original post was very condescending. I watched the entire game and after the initial jitters our team NEVER looked in danger. A 4-0 scoreline would be considered a rout in most circles. The Jamaicans certainly did not look better to me in any of the departments you trotted out. It's quite alright to criticize our players, but don't cry foul when your opinion gets some rebuttal. I highlighted the line I considered to be 'a load of manure' and put forth my opinion. I don't consider that terribly condescending or agressive. You and the others chiming in on this thread can continue to rag on about the long ball and lack of watchable soccer under Pellerud; no problem. I am no fan of the guy. But don't try to tell me that the Jamaicans looked remotely as sharp as our players. They didn't. They lost. Badly.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

I suggest that you get some perspective. I think your original post was very condescending. I watched the entire game and after the initial jitters our team NEVER looked in danger. A 4-0 scoreline would be considered a rout in most circles. The Jamaicans certainly did not look better to me in any of the departments you trotted out. It's quite alright to criticize our players, but don't cry foul when your opinion gets some rebuttal. I highlighted the line I considered to be 'a load of manure' and put forth my opinion. I don't consider that terribly condescending or agressive. You and the others chiming in on this thread can continue to rag on about the long ball and lack of watchable soccer under Pellerud; no problem. I am no fan of the guy. But don't try to tell me that the Jamaicans looked remotely as sharp as our players. They didn't. They lost. Badly.

Ed, as always you deliberately choose to miss the point. Like I said, I've no issue with your disagreeing with me. I'm a big lad; I can handle another man's opinion. I asked that you treat me with a bit more respect. Instead YOU argue that I deserve to be treated this way because of the way--apparently--I have mistreated our team's performance on the evening. Fair enough: I've understood for quite some time how you operate. I think you can, from time to time, offer real value to this forum, and for that I am grateful. But your vitriol, to use a popular term, is neither warranted or appreciated. Your MO, it is apparent, is to ALWAYS BE RIGHT AT ALL COSTS. Fair enough. As Winnipeg Fury mentioned elsewhere, we've lost some good people because of treatment similar to what you've dealt me here (and in the past).

As for the soccer we played against Jamaica, it WAS very poor. Aside from a few bright sparks--and Sinclair's shining example--the Jamaican's CERTAINLY showed better INDIVIDUAL SKILL. They even started to play better as a team for a good portion of the second half. We had better conditioning, and we had Christine Sinclair. That is good enough for beating a poorly conditioned, poorly organized Jamaican team, but it simply is not good enough. Sure, the girls deserve kudos, but celebrating mediocrity is not the New Canadian Way, and I am surprised to hear a good Alberta boy compromising his standards.

You can bait me all you want, by the way, but I'm done with you. I come here to support Canadian soccer and to support my fellow supporters, to share in our common passion (and agony). I want comrades, even if we disagree on certain points. I've clashed with a number of Voyageurs in the past--Grizzly, Jeffrey S., etc--and yet maintain a high level of respect for them, primarily because they treat me the same. Ed, you've a tonne to offer but sabotage your offerings when you cut into your fellow Voyageurs like this. I know you don't need the lecture, but you pissed me off.

quote:Originally posted by ray

Be worried, Canada. I only saw the last 30 minutes but ...

Oh yes, perfectly valid way to judge the game! No team ever changes its tactics in the last 30 minutes with a three- to four-goal lead.

quote:Jamaica looked the more enterprising team with nice work passing and getting open.

You mean "passing-out" don't you? I didn't notice Jamaica doing anything during the last 20 minutes aside from lying on the ground. Their trainer was very enterprising, though.

Guest speedmonk42

And yet Canada is still climbing in the FIFA rankings. Check where we were five years ago.

---------

Look:

No one is 'against' the womens team, which is what is often implied when it is criticized.

No one wants to say 'I told you so'.

No one is denying that they are winning or moving up the rankings.

We just hate the way they play. We also look at the way they play, regardless of the results, with a broader perspective to what is happening in the game. The last decade of womens soccer is I feel a testimony to the value of coaching. There has been dramatic changes the style and quality of play of many nations. We on the other hand have not changed and, even though we are winning, it is disturbing.

Of course no one is against the Canadian team. Most people would just like the coach replaced for a several reasons. The Hooper affair, the style of play, etc. But the team is successful when it comes to the only thing that counts -- winning. Be careful what you wish for -- you may get it.

Archived