FSWC 5th Anniversay this year: Analysis

mrpopulistfutebol

Just a topic that I wanted to bring up is that Fox Sports World Canada came on the air in September of 2001. So it will be it's 5th anniversary this fall.

So I guess it is time to reflect on Canada's fist channel that dedicated a large section to soccer (Futbol).

What is everyone's take on the first five years of FSWC? Where do you think FSWC will be in five years from now?

Hmm. Gone steadily down hill? At least the last couple of years. Is that fair?

Seemed to have made a course correction this year, and maybe more improvements are coming. Guess we'll see.

But that's just my impression. My football viewing is very UK focused so when the FA Cup and delayed telecast SPL got dropped that put a big dent into the number of viewing hours the channel got out of me. Add The Score's live Sunday fixture (since killed off) and no German footie, I end up having to ask why am I paying for this channel?

Bit of cricket if I can stumble on it. That grey haired git (luv yah, Bobby) on World Report and that's about it.

The future? Hard to imagine FSWC not getting blended together with Fox Soccer Channel. But we'll see I guess. Lot of digital channels showing football these days. Do you really want to find a niche in what's already a niche market?

I dropped it two years ago after SSN was dropped, and Premier League matches were cut back. The lack of live matches, repeats of Serie A from TLN and the 1970's wood-paneling-from-my-father's-Ford-LTD-station-wagon-style set turned me off.

And the current 'improvements' are only coming because of the threat now posed by GOL TV Canada, who are working hard to be the premier soccer channel in Canada. Now if they'd just put it on ExpressVu.

Don't see any desire to subscribe again soon.

For $30/year, it's a no-brainer. Good enough for the EPL highlight show, weekday EPL matches and FSW Report. Happy to have SSN back too.

The new Setanta channel will have more content that I want, but at $180/year I might take a pass.

FSWC has certainly gone downhill over the years, due to finances I expect. I'd rather pay a bit more for a better channel. A bit more being perhaps $5/month - but not the $15/month Setanta wants.

This channel went downhill quickly after the first year or so but it seems this year they have made a few steps in the right direction. EPL matches are back, Sky Sports News is back and they have added the stuff that FSC has in the U.S. (namely Serie A & Mexican league matches) to compensate for the loss of the French and German Leagues.

From what I understand FOX was set to partner up with Telelatino to launch the soccer channel that they have a license for, but it seems no deal was ever able to be reached. So they renewed their license agreement with Global for another year. After that who knows what could happen?! I suspect the recent 'improvements' maybe due to FOX putting some pressure on Global to launch a better product, due to all the complaints about FSWC.

For me FSWC has nothing of interest, Gol TV Canada is the go-to channel for soccer. They added Bundesliga which I am interested in (3 year deal!) and resigned with La Liga (another 3 year deal!), throw in the Serie A (not interested but for those who are they have the good matches) as well as the odd UEFA Cup game or any other international matches and you have a recipe for success!

If the rumoured Setanta channel launches (reportedly TLN is lowballing them, so no deal yet) then you can pretty much kiss FSWC good-bye. Setanta will have first pick EPL matches, SPL games, lower leagues from England, UEFA Cup, Champions League, French League, Dutch League and some rugby thrown in for good measure :) I agree the price is a little steep but from what I have read, people in the US are subscribing (except for those on Dish Network who are chomping at the bit to get Dish to add the channel so they can subscribe).

Overall it seems to me too little too late for FSWC, they were the first ones out of the gate and they had the advantage but that is now gone. Things can always change with broadcast rights changing hands but I have seen no evidence that Global is seriously interested in making FSWC a competitive channel. They are not willing to spend much on programming which boggles the mind because they are available everywhere while Gol TV is still trying to secure carriage deals with the various providers. Oh well, at least we have alternatives, imagine if Gol TV was not available, we would be watcing EPL on Sportsnet and that's about it!

quote:Originally posted by mrpopulistfutebol

What is everyone's take on the first five years of FSWC? Where do you think FSWC will be in five years from now?

Hmmm, sort of like a marriage.

First couple of years, she did no wrong. Always looked forward to seeing her and spending any time I could with her.

Few years in however, started to get a bit bored and looked around for a wee bit of something else on the side.

Came across this hot, new bird that gave me a wee bit more of what I wanted, what I needed. Satisfied me a lot better.

Five years in now, both these bints are looking rough and I'm left hoping some other babe comes along and sweeps me off my feet!!!

In another five years hopefully the wife will realize the error of her ways and goes back to doing the things that attracted me to her in the first place!

;)

Archived