Canadian born striker Lynch signs for Queensland

Anyone know much about him, has he ever been involved with any of the Canadian NT's??

http://www.a-league.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=4177&pageid=11

Roar sign Scottish striker

Monday, 3 July, 2006 - 2:27PM

Sportal

The Queensland Roar have signed Dundee striker Simon Lynch on a two-year deal.

The Canadian-born forward scored 13 goals in 28 games for the Scottish Division One side and impressed Roar coach Miron Bleiberg in a recent training camp.

Lynch began his career at Scottish giant Celtic and has also played with English sides Preston North End, Stockport County and Blackpool.

The 24-year-old is the Roar's 18th member of their 2006/07 squad and is set to partner Ante Milicic up forward.

Lynch said the atmosphere at the Queensland Club made joining with them an easy decision.

"Everyone has made me feel very welcome here and I'm delighted to have signed for the club," Lynch said.

"I like what Queensland Roar are trying to do and what they aim to achieve, so I'm really looking forward to being a part of that.

"The team, the facilities and the professionalism is just first-class and I can't wait for this challenge in the Hyundai A-League."

Dundee chief executive Dave MacKinnon had suggested Lynch's decision to move to Australia would simply be a desire for a lifestyle change, but the striker rebuffed those suggestions.

"Obviously there are lifestyle factors associated with my decision to come here, but as far as I'm concerned I’m coming here for the football and I have a lot of ambition to do well," he said.

"At this point in my career I have no doubt that this is the right move for me.

Bleiberg said he opted for Lynch to offer his forward structure some variety.

"We were looking for an out-and-out goal-scorer; someone to go with Milicic and Reinaldo who would give us some variation in our attacks," Bleiberg said.

"In signing Simon I think we have achieved that and he has enjoyed a good scoring record throughout his career.

"He is quick and has a good nose for a goal, which is a natural talent and not something that you can teach."

Simon Lynch was indeed born in Montreal while his dad played for and then coached the Manic in the NASL days. I believe Simon played for Dundee last season. I know he was definitely capped by Scotland at Under-21 level but I'm not sure whether he ever PLAYED for the senior squad. I remember when Canada played in Edinburgh a couple of years back I picked up the local newspaper as they had a good story on his Canadian and Scottish links. Even if he was eligible, I don't think he'd bring anything to the Canadian squad.

Archived