Shevchenko to Chelsea

DJT

Shevchenko is an expensive but good signing, still young and in top form. Roberto Carlos would be a big mistake though if money is no object as apparently it isn't (I wonder why most Russians live on $200 a month but bandits like Abrahmovic can spend millions on over the hill footballers and not even for a Russian club) maybe not a bad guy to have on your team. Roberto Carlos would be a mistake for a normal team with a budget though.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

And the French are still obsessed with spelling it Chevtchenko in their papers... groan

I always got a kick out of the Dutch spelling of foreign (especially Eastern European) names and places when I was over there. They would spell it Andrej Sjevtsjenko.

Guest Jeffery S.

Considering the name is Ukrainian, and the script is different, every linguistic community should feel free spell the name so that it sounds most like the original in their own language. That is the most logical solution. In Catalan it would be Xevxenco, or maybe Chevxenko.

In any case, Chelsea is overspending again and these signings reflect badly on the existing team and their coach. I say this since the team simply missed out on a few key games this year, the Cup semis vs. Liverpool and the Champions round vs. Barça. And were not blown out in either, meaning the team is close, and the difference between getting near a triple or double even is small, not large. Meaning you should touch the team a little, not a lot.

I think that in recent years they have signed players to strike and to play in the middle. These new signings are tacit admissions of failures in that department, failure to sign correctly and failure to make the signings work. But a minor failure, since Chelsea had good options to win the EPL and go far in all competitions with the existing squad, without major changes. They are not in a crisis situation, but are spending like they are. I think they will end up creating more problems than solutions, since Sheva will need time to adjust to England, Ballack with conflict tactically with Lampard, Roberto Carlos is playing poorly lately, he has been unreliable defensively and ineffective in offense at least for the last 18 months.

I think, in the end, that Chelsea's glory days are at risk if they keep on like this, since they'll end up causing internal tension in the dressing room, won't get the results they are looking for, and their key rivals in the league, where they are dominant, will catch up to them. Indeed if you look at the league results, in the end they were not that far ahead of Man Utd, even Barça was further ahead of its league rivals.

Archived