Vote for Toronto MLS nickname online

DJT

Originally posted by mlsintoronto - 04/19/2006 : 19:13:26</u>

At some point in the next 24 hours, you all will be able to go to www.torontoprosoccer.com and vote for your choice of:

Toronto FC

Inter Toronto FC

Toronto Northmen FC

Toronto Nationals

Toronto Reds

or Other.

At some point in the future we'll all laugh about the chain of events that led to the very passionate opinions on Inter. There is an explanation for the things that are registered vs don't need to be registered vs can't be registered...

Suffice to say that many keyboard strokes were wasted on this issue!

The site will be up until April 30, I think. You can also get your name on the list for ticket info.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Originally posted by mlsintoronto - 04/19/2006 : 19:13:26</u>

At some point in the next 24 hours, you all will be able to go to www.torontoprosoccer.com and vote for your choice of:

Toronto FC

Inter Toronto FC

Toronto Northmen FC

Toronto Nationals

Toronto Reds

or Other.

At some point in the future we'll all laugh about the chain of events that led to the very passionate opinions on Inter. There is an explanation for the things that are registered vs don't need to be registered vs can't be registered...

Suffice to say that many keyboard strokes were wasted on this issue!

The site will be up until April 30, I think. You can also get your name on the list for ticket info.

Personally I'd be very weary about giving the type of info requested by this site owner. No where is there a statement that your information won't be sold to a third party. No where does it say that it's affiliated with MLSE or MLS soccer.

Ask yourself the question: would I give this info to a stranger on the street? and if you're answer is no, then why give it to a site as vague as this one?

identify theft is a real world problem.

G-man, you have a valid point. But you can always fudge your name and address a bit. And you can just provide a hotmail e-mail that you can abandon. I keep a hotmail adress for purposes of giving to "vague" sites. And you're right, it gets sold and it is always filled with the craziest spam.

This is a classic technique for gathering names and addresses for further targetted marketing later on. The Vancouver Whitecaps used a similar approach for promoting their new Waterfront Stadium. I think the answer about how genuine the site is will be evident if it survives for a week.

If they went with Northmen, do you think they'd try to bring back a variant of the old WFL Toronto Northmen logo?

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?lo=5821

For that matter, I don't know if anyone here has even mentioned the old football club that ultimately never played in Toronto. It was before my time and I suspect the same could be said for most of the others on this board.

Jason

nope I mentioned it a few weeks ago in the InterToronto MLS thread which is now over 10 pages.

North York

Canada

656 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 : 11:19:05

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toronto Northmen too original?

Not from what I remember. There was a Toronto Northmen World Football franchise started by one of the Bassett's back in the 1970s that never got to play here because of its threat to the CFL so Bassett took the franchise to Memphis Tennessee as the Southmen. The whole league didn't last long. Different rules like the offensive linemen wore different coloured pants than the offensive backs so fans could tell them apart.

So many football leagues since then that they blur together.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memphis_Southmen

http://www.chriscreamer.com/team.php?t=1298

hey MLSE could use Carlton the Bear and keep the logo.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by - Rocket Robin on 04/05/2006 11:28:02

Archived