Beckham interested in playing in the USA

Alberto7

I realize that this wouldn't be for another couple of years but it would really be cool to see him play on this side of the Atlantic.

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=378421&CPID=23&clid=186&lid=19&title=Beckham+interested+in+US+move

England captain David Beckham has reiterated his desire to one day play in USA.

The 30-year-old midfielder revealed his interest in a move to America during last summer's international tour, and has now confirmed that it is an option he is seriously considering.

Beckham is contracted to Real Madrid until the end of next season, but his long-term future is still uncertain.

"At some stage, playing in America is possible," Beckham declared.

"I've one year left at Real, and maybe two more after that, but things can change in football and the American league does interest me."

Should Beckham move across the Atlantic to play Major League Soccer he would become the highest profile import since the likes of Pele and George Best played there in the seventies.

"I want to be part of a country that is passionate about sport," he explained.

"I've got my academy in LA which is important to me because that is my life after the game."

quote:Originally posted by argh1

Hmmmmmm, into his 40's and still playing? I think that would be his thinking. Dubai, MLS, Australia, Japan, China, yeah who ever antes up the most for a forty something star. [}:)]

I don't think your comment is fair. I can see MLS Breaking the bank to get him to play in the USA so I think he would come over in the next couple of years in his early to mid 30s. Read the last line of the article: he has a soccer academy in LA. Like Jurgen Klinsman, he realizes that he can make a hell of a lot more money in the USA than staying in Europe after his playing days are over. Apparently MLS is looking to establish a Marquee player rule where that player would fall outside of the salary cap. In this perspective, I can see Beckham coming in two years or so and being a marquee player in LA or New York for a couple of years and then staying in the USA to run his academy.

True. I don't really see him going back to England in 3-4 years time. Nor do I see him staying in Spain once he is no longer good enough to play on Real Madrid (I mean, who else would he play for? Depor, Real Sociedad? -- I don't see that happening).

So MLS seems likely. Not in two years, but maybe 4 or 5.

Archived