Toronto MLS practise facility

SoccMan

I'm surprised no one has talked about where this new team is deciding to practise. I think it makes perfect sense for MLSE to do some minor repairs to Lamport Stadium and use it as the team's practise field. They could put it field turf and renovate the change rooms and maybe put in a workout room and they would have a decent complex where the team can practise. Let's keep in mind that this new stadium will be used for other events, therefore there will be times when the team will not have access to the new stadium for training.

From what I recall, there is a large soccer complex being built in the city to act as a practice facility (turf fields, indoor bubble, etc)

I can't remember if it is near the stadium site or at the Docks complex.

quote:Originally posted by SoccMan

I know that Mississauga is building some indoor fields and a few turf outdoor fields at the Hershey Center site that will be ready by 2007, but that is too far out to be considered a good MLS Toronto team practise facility.

Too far? It is about the same distance from the Ex as the Leaf's practice facility (Lakeshore Lions arena) is from the ACC.

quote:Originally posted by SoccMan

I'm surprised no one has talked about where this new team is deciding to practise. I think it makes perfect sense for MLSE to do some minor repairs to Lamport Stadium and use it as the team's practise field. They could put it field turf and renovate the change rooms and maybe put in a workout room and they would have a decent complex where the team can practise. Let's keep in mind that this new stadium will be used for other events, therefore there will be times when the team will not have access to the new stadium for training.

Surely the MLS team, who also operates this new facility isn't going to spend money fixing up Lamport when various levels of government had to build them Pogey Park to get them interested in soccer in the first place.

And I'd hate to hear one day that "Brazil wanted to play Canada on July 16th, but there was a Monster Truck show booked, so they decided to play Haiti in NYC instead"

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

Surely the MLS team, who also operates this new facility isn't going to spend money fixing up Lamport when various levels of government had to build them Pogey Park to get them interested in soccer in the first place.

And I'd hate to hear one day that "Brazil wanted to play Canada on July 16th, but there was a Monster Truck show booked, so they decided to play Haiti in NYC instead"

No worries about that G-Man. The dome is perfect for those monster truck shows.

I have to agree with you about Lamport. It wouldn't make a lot of sense for MLSE to do it when they've got a brand new stadium at their disposal that they can use at no extra cost apart from potential lost revenue from rentals but do we really see that as being a problem in the short term? No.

If they need the occasional practice field, I'm sure they'll be able to dig up something, perhaps even the new Varsity depending on the surface they choose to use.

db

db

Archived