CL..quarter-finals, round of 8, whatever [R]

argh1

All games are televised, to-day:

Arsenal and Juventus

Benfica and Barcelona

Wednesday:

Inter Milan and Villareal

Lyon and the other ;) Milan

I won't be able to watch this afternoons games so the recorder will get a work-out. I stuck the R there to hopefully protect myself from seeing an errant posting.

C'mon Lyonnaise even with-out captain Juninho for the 1st leg :D

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by argh1

All games are televised, to-day:

Arsenal and Juventus

Benfica and Barcelona

Wednesday:

Inter Milan and Villareal

Lyon and the other ;) Milan

I won't be able to watch this afternoons games so the recorder will get a work-out. I stuck the R there to hopefully protect myself from seeing an errant posting.

C'mon Lyonnaise even with-out captain Juninho for the 1st leg :D

2 posts in a row keep it scoreless, Barça reminded of our loss in the final to Benfica in 61, the game we lost by hitting too many posts and too few back-of-the-nets.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

2 posts in a row keep it scoreless, Barça reminded of our loss in the final to Benfica in 61, the game we lost by hitting too many posts and too few back-of-the-nets.

First Benfica was lucky with Barça missing great chances on goal (Van Bommel twice, Eto'o, Iniesta, posts by Larsson and Motta) and their keeper alternating dumb plays with fine saves; then Barça gets lucky, just once, with a Motta hand that should probably have been a penalty against us. Though maybe we would have got a better result if they had scored, as behind 1-0 we would have pushed for the draw at one, better than going scoreless.

I haven't seen Arsenal much in league play this year, but in Europe they are doing wonderfully. They totally controlled the match (I saw this one while listening to Barça, then watched full highlights of both), had quite a few good chances, and Juventus did not look at all like the leader of a major league. I think they have lost Viera, Camoranesi and the other player with two yellows for the return match. Cesc is really playing extraordinarily, it is mind boggling at that age. In some ways, since I really don't see a place for Henry at Barça, I would prefer the bunch to stay together, let the youth mature, and see if they can challenge for the EPL title next year.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I haven't seen Arsenal much in league play this year, but in Europe they are doing wonderfully. They totally controlled the match (I saw this one while listening to Barça, then watched full highlights of both), had quite a few good chances, and Juventus did not look at all like the leader of a major league. I think they have lost Viera, Camoranesi and the other player with two yellows for the return match. Cesc is really playing extraordinarily, it is mind boggling at that age. In some ways, since I really don't see a place for Henry at Barça, I would prefer the bunch to stay together, let the youth mature, and see if they can challenge for the EPL title next year.

Yeah, the match reminded me a bit of Liverpool v Juventus from last season. Except in that game Juventus actually had one scoring chance by Ibrahimovic. Today they got nothing!

You can stick a fork in Juve.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by River City

Benfica don't play very pretty but they can smother a game when needed. Unfortunately, I didn't see the game as I was at work, but how did Ronaldinho do? From whatI've read in the Portuguese soccer dailies, Ricardo Rocha was 'dinho's kryptonite.

I did not see the match either, just extensive highlights. Though it does seem Barça missed a chance to at least score. I think the result is not bad for Benfica, Barça is going to have to go for the win and if Benfica's fast forwards counter and the defense can hold we'd go down with a draw at one or more.

Having said that, the only Barça players who seemed to not be on form were all of them in front of the goal.

I saw the Benfica-Barca match live. Great ball control. There would have been mucho scoring except the ref, wisely or not, decided not to award yellow cards for flagrant hand tackling, which was the major form of defence throughout the match, but it made for a very competitive match. Barcelona really should have scored numerous times, both Larson and Etoo missed some great gimmees handed to them by Ronaldinho and other teammates. Simao was priceless for

Benfica, man of the match in my opinion.

Classic quote from Capello yesterday when asked about all the players he'll be missing through injury or suspension against Arsenal today:

"I never cry about what I don't have", Capello said.

This is the same guy who refuses to manage Real Madrid unless he can bring about 20 specific players with him to the Bernabeu. [:o)]

quote:Originally posted by River City

Would you want to go to coach Real Madrid with its current squad?

Well, Capello would since he never cries over what he doesn't have.

Oh wait.

In any event, he doesn't have a choice. Looks like it's Carlo Anchelotti's job next season. [:I]

"I never cry about what I don't have" simply means he's not going to use injuries/suspensions as an excuse to throw in the towel.

Wanting to coach Real Madrid on the condition that he can bring in his choice players means he's not an idiot. For all the talent they have, they consistently (in the last few years) fail to play to their potential. They are uninspired, unmotivated and no longer have a sense a team. No marquee coach is going to take over without wanting to make changes.

I'm not sure what you have against Capello.

"I never cry about what I don't have" simply means he's not going to use injuries/suspensions as an excuse to throw in the towel.

Wanting to coach Real Madrid on the condition that he can bring in his choice players means he's not an idiot. For all the talent they have, they consistently (in the last few years) fail to play to their potential. They are uninspired, unmotivated and no longer have a sense a team. No marquee coach is going to take over without wanting to make changes.

I'm not sure what you have against Capello.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by amacpher

So two Italian teams down, one to go. 042.gif Juventus looked like Madrid out there today. Perhaps Capello should ammend that list of his. 025.gif

Everything seems set-up for the dream final: Barca v Arsenal (from a neutral's POV, at least).

I would rather eliminate Milan first then think about the final after. But in principle, in Europe, a final between two teams from the same league is not as interesting, and not as much of a novelty either.

Barça had some good play tonight from players like Van Bronckhorst, who held Miccoli really well and was very concentrated cutting of Benfica's counters, from Iniesta, who has taken on more strength and is tackling like he never did, and Eto'o not only in attack with an assist and a goal, but hard work defending as well. Barça has the hardest defending quality attackers in today's football.

OH, GAWD DAMN IT!

Lyon is done. I was sooo sure this was their year. Anybody know where I can rent a furnished Bachelor apartment that fits 4 as I mortgaged the house. Maybe Halifax Town can move into the League and Leeds can move up cuz QPR won't do anything and we can keep the garage [B)]. Stop prognasticating arghhhhhhhhhh.

Geeeeeeez I don't wanna see the same ol' same ol' win the title. I'm getting so sick of the biggies of Euro soccer time after time.

Okay I'll settle down :(

Go Villaréal ....... nah it don't work. Go Gunners for the EPL I guess....hmmmmmm what the hell. I don't care just let the remaining games be good.[:P]

I like Arsenal's chances. Their weakness is when their young players are challenged physically and put under a lot of pressure. That just doesn't seem to be happening. On a pure skill side of it, I think Arsenal is as good as anyone in the competition. So far, no one in the Champs League has tried to exploit their weakness.

Guest Jeffery S.

Barça is the overall favourite for betters and most observers, but Barça has had some serious problems scoring and on top of that we are not playing our beautiful football for quite a few months now. Losing Xavi to injury took away the flow and the elegance, and drawing Chelsea in the earlier knock-out meant we began to change our style thinking about them, tougher midfield, hard defending from forwards to cut off the long-ball counters, less risks with the outside backs, more tension and control over every area of the pitch. A tough side, with quality everyone will agree, but not on the same form as in the fall and early winter.

Which may be a good thing vs. Milan, as we are not so cocky now, know we have some weaknesses, and can't expect to go in easily. I saw Milan with some serious weaknesses in defence vs. Lyon, some dumb blunders when defenders were connecting -or not- with Dida, also shaky, and not much quality passing from the midfield either, when Gattuso looks more important than Pirlo that's a bad sign. The strikers do not seem as deadly, even Shevkenko has lost a bit of bite. Everyone is a step down from their reputation, some are a bit old (Costacurta is amazing, still playing, you'd think it was the nephew of the guy playing in the early 90s), but we saw that they cannot be ignored and can turn things around quickly. This Milan is more vulnerable than in most years they've competed for the trophies. So if Barça get a decent result in San Siro we should have a good return leg at Camp Nou, and with injured Márquez, Edmilson, and Messi all back to bolster the squad.

Villareal is basically a solid squad of serious competitors, many coming from more important clubs with something to prove (José Mari, Riquelme, Forlan) and effectively there as a step down, with Riquelme as the icing. A big advantage is that most teams do not know them, and they are not cocky, don't talk too much, are discreet, so that contributes to the ignorance of what they do on the field. Noone considers any of their players to be stars, and even Riquelme is underestimated now that he does not have your Boca or Barça to hype him. The side is very creative, but also a bitch defensively, they have replaced important transfers well -keeper Reina gone and the unknown but serious Uruguayan is in- have a great mentality, perhaps is only so far down in the league -7th- as the squad is not deep enough for mid-week fun and the weekend grind. Great record in Champions this year, and have to say that their stadium is small, cosy, and not threatening at all, rather tame and polite in fact. So not a great advantage in intimidation even, which is odd.

Arsenal like Villareal looks more solid in Europe than in their league, perhaps lack a bit of depth, and have some similarities with their opponent. Especially thinking about how the midfield has the talent to connect with those up front, which helps their labour scoring immensely. For sure Arsenal has more attacking options, mostly the same as a few years back to be sure, they have youth and that energy, but some inexperience with it, the keeper is strong. I think the back line can be exploited, especially if put under pressure, which Juve did not really do. They have not been nervous in this Champion's run apart from maybe that lucky late result over Thun. So you just wonder if their luck will run out eventually and someone, as mentioned above, will take a good look at how they are beaten by lesser rivals in England and apply the lesson.

I am hoping for a Barça-Arsenal final, mostly because facing Villareal would be terrible for Barça. We don't respect them and do not fear them, they know us too well and it would be too damn tricky to deal with them. Better a big famous rival, some rivalry with British press bull**** helping us along, the kind of things that keep you on edge and psyched.

Archived